Let's Play Threads

Blarghagh

Well, a let's play thread is a thread where someone posts screenshots/videos along with commentary (insightful, informative, funny, in-character, whatever) of the game they're playing as they're playing it. I felt it would be fun. I for one would like doing a KotOR 1 LP. I was just seeing if there's an interest in that sort of thing on this forum, and if it's even doable.

Well, a let's play thread is a thread where someone posts screenshots/videos along with commentary (insightful, informative, funny, in-character, whatever) of the game they're playing as they're playing it. I felt it would be fun. I for one would like doing a KotOR 1 LP. I was just seeing if there's an interest in that sort of thing on this forum, and if it's even doable.

Maybe we need an in character roleplaying forum :)

There is a goldmine of Let's play threads on the codex. Check the The RPG Codex Let's Play Mega-Thread! in General RPG Discussions. I'm not providing a link, as that site contains a bit of, language. *cough*

My Ultima IX Let's play thread on there was pure awesome <3

I read and liked Scorchy's LP of KOTOR II but most LPs are pretty boring.

LPs are cool when they either bring something to the playthrough that you couldn't do yourself (scorchy) re play something that you wouldn't play yourself. A XCOM LP would suck as I can play that game myself, but a Wasteland LP would be cool as I'd probably never play that myself and could as such still experience it.

I wouldn't listen to Jaesun since the Codex gives you cancer. o:)

sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

This would be cool, the only caveat is that the person doing it would have to have the resilience to go through an RPG in such a fashion.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

And I recommend not doing a Civ IV or Animal Crossing one either. If you've been to the LParchive you'll know what I mean.

But we cant get enough bashing LPs. I read SAs Ultima IX LP but if the one on the Codex is funny, I'll have to check it out.

Codex has somehilarious LPs actually.

I keep thinking of doing one but forget, then end up playing too far ahead (and now my internet is too crap for screenies).

Codex has somehilarious LPs actually.

I keep thinking of doing one but forget, then end up playing too far ahead (and now my internet is too crap for screenies).

Getting the screen shots and writing a LP is VERY VERY time consuming. It's a bit easier if you are doing a LP that you utterly hate (See my Ultima IX one).

Unless you have an "Angle" with which you are doing a LP, it could potentially be really boring. heh

I was going to do one for V:TM Redemption (NOT Bloodlines), but I actually like Redemption... even though it's not that great. I still like it. I still have a crapload of screenshots from it.

LP threads are sometimes fun to read, depending on the quality of the poster. But they take up way huge amounts of time to do. SO I woudl read them, if somebody did them, depending on the game, but I wouldn't do any myself.

And anybody who starts one, but then stops at some point and never finishes is hereby resolved of all blame. :devil:

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Reading through Jedi Jesus right now... not all that funny, but it makes me remember how well written Kreia is. Best NPC ever.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Reading through Jedi Jesus right now... not all that funny, but it makes me remember how well written Kreia is. Best NPC ever.

Ummm...its not suppose to be funny. Its purpose is to analyze and show everything in the game, something I wish more LP would do.

LP threads are sometimes fun to read, depending on the quality of the poster. But they take up way huge amounts of time to do. SO I woudl read them, if somebody did them, depending on the game, but I wouldn't do any myself.

And anybody who starts one, but then stops at some point and never finishes is hereby resolved of all blame. :devil:

This.

After reading that great one on Mount & Blade I found a while back, I half-thought about trying to make one myself, but realized that I'd never have the energy to do something like that for long.

Edit: Also agree if someone (or more than one someone) wants to make some LP threads, they should be in the Spoilers.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Boatmurdered.

Nuff said.

Most awesome LP ever. It beats out Jedi Jesus hands down.

The carving depicts and elephant and a dwarf. The elephant is eating the dwarf. :(

What LP is that?

Boatmurdered

It's for a game called Dwarf Fortress. It's a simulation game that uses ASCII graphics. The Let's Play for this game cycles through more than a dozen people. The 4th guy suggested naming a dwarf after the previous ruler so most people got to have a little dwarf named after them. Some did well (Sankis) while others got eaten by elephants. A lot of it is written in character from the perspective of the current ruler. My favourite chapter has to be the one from "StarkRavingMad" which starts at update 11. There is a fair bit of profanity, but it's IMO the most amusing one of the bunch. Even better than the last update. "Sankis" is the best ruler of them all though.

Edited by Deraldin