Velvet Assassin comes out this week.

Well, seeing as it will be released this week and, at least formally, there was some interest in the game, I thought I would make this topic to discuss Velvet Assassin. Is anyone else planning on buying it? Has there been any word about what DRM will be used (I haven't heard anything)?

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

What's it about anyway?

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Some friends of mine played it at a convention, they claimed it was sub-par but I dont know if I trust their taste in games.

edit: I just read its a German game. Thats enough of a warning flag for me, not touching it.

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Some friends of mine played it at a convention, they claimed it was sub-par...

Most likely that was the alpha and, yeah, that had more than a few things to tweak. Still, it sounds like it's a lot better now. :shrugz:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Asked my friend and apparently it was a beta build, so feature complete but with some bugs to get rid of and a bit of tweaking.

But what kind of german game is this? Is it a local thing meant for mostly german players thats being exported, or is it a proper game meant for the international market?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Is it a local thing meant for mostly german players thats being exported, or is it a proper game meant for the international market?

The latter I believe. :shrugz:

-Hurlshot

I don't understand. Are German games bad? I'm being honest, here, Kaftan, you yutz, so give me a straight answer.

Anyhow, I figured I'd get Velvet Assassin because it's a stealth FPS and I tend to buy those when I see them. A demo could be nice, but I'll probably buy it as long as it doesn't have universally terrible reviews. ...And, by reviews, I mean word of mouth here. haha

Velvet Assassin has almost been as long in development as DNF. I remember back in 1999 when I saw first gameplay footage (formely known as Sabotage). It was a FPS with some stylish cutscenes and such. Now, ten years later, it gets released finally.

But I won't give it a chance if there's no demo, as the team has been unproven, and it just reeks after Splinter Cell in WW2.

I don't understand. Are German games bad? I'm being honest, here, Kaftan, you yutz, so give me a straight answer.

German developers generally have a very different approach to how a game is designed, and german gamers also seem to have very different taste. This along with lower budgets, leads to games that people outside of germany find awkward and unplayable. But this isnt a problem for them, as there are enough german players buying these games to keep the developers afloat. Germany is a very inbred place gamewise, german games for german people.

As far I know The Settlers 2 was a German game for German people, and it's one of the most awesome games in the history of forever and ever.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

And I should have a copy either tomorrow or Thursday and since no-one else has it yet, not sure when it's coming out on Steam but it should be soon, I guess I'll be Guinea Pig number one.

-Hurlshot

Well I have my copy and I am installing it via Steam (it turns out that the retail version is still linked to Steam unless you're from Russia and then it has Starforce) and will have the first impressions up soon.

-Hurlshot

Heh, I might still get this game, no matter the review. I was looking forward to it as I'm a huge WWII history buff.

Heck, I played Frank Herbert's Dune which got horribly reviews everywhere, but I still managed to finish it (even moderately enjoy it) despite the game's problems simply because I'm a huge Dune fan.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.