Obsidian making Fallout: New Vegas

Gorth

The round window and alpha overlay are somewhat distracting.

Not to mention, there's already this out there:

http://fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=2304

Mine's better :shifty: ~but also its foremost, to block out the obviously frozen bystanders (as well as be reasonably similar to the other two in the series).

*Also its part of a larger mod in progress. (and its awkward without the rest of it) ~not ready to play just yet.

**As for the "foggy" alpha overlay... The glass is white

(Actually I'd assume the glass is clear, and coated on the inside... I didn't mind it, but I might thin it out a bit more in the center).

Edited by Gizmo

The round window and alpha overlay are somewhat distracting.

Not to mention, there's already this out there:

http://fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=2304

Mine's better :shifty: ~but also its foremost, to block out the obviously frozen bystanders (as well as be reasonably similar to the other two in the series).

*Also its part of a larger mod in progress. (and its awkward without the rest of it) ~not ready to play just yet.

**As for the "foggy" alpha overlay... The glass is white

(Actually I'd assume the glass is clear, and coated on the inside... I didn't mind it, but I might thin it out a bit more in the center).

Well, the overlay does look more like Fallout 1, but it further removes the player from the game. That is, the PC is looking dorectly at the individual speaking, and not looking at a Pipboy representation of the individual speaking.

As far as the mutants, well, it doesn't make that much difference to me.

Well, the overlay does look more like Fallout 1, but it further removes the player from the game. That is, the PC is looking dorectly at the individual speaking, and not looking at a Pipboy representation of the individual speaking.
~that's partly the idea too.

As far as the mutants, well, it doesn't make that much difference to me.
I like them MUCH better (though I'm still not entirely happy with it... I'm going to tweak the texture some, and perhaps re-do the Normal Map).

Gizmo, I think those Super Mutants look fantastic!
foodndrink.gif

I worked a bit more on them, and now the teeth are not the green skin color, and the leather straps are slimmed down some.

~Still a work in progress, but I'll see if I can put it on Nexus or Planet Fallout soon for any who want it.

Gizmo, I think those Super Mutants look fantastic!
Agreed. They actually look like Super Mutants, unlike the Orks Bethesda did. Well done Sir.

Thank you both, ~but just to be clear... Its still the same mesh and texture that shipped with the game, I only altered the hue a bit more to green, drew on a tether strap and gave them a flat top head :lol:

I might change the armor on one or two later on though; This stuff is maddeningly fun to mess with.

All the while I'm trying to get better at it ~eventually I'll port this guy to the game if I can.

Handy-house4.jpg

Edited by Gizmo

yucca_mountain.jpg

800px-Wfm_area51_map_en.png

Yucca_Mountain_crest_south.jpg

yucca_mountain.jpg

Yucca Mountain, a facility that for several decades was planned to be America's nuclear waste depository, a "maze of tunnels" containing spent containers of fissile material. And was part of an area that was subjected to nuclear testing (just underground, as far as I know). Nevada has, to this point, successfully resisted government attempts to commission the site. In our timeline, at least. How much do you want to bet it's in the game?

Also note the proximity to Death Valley. Good southern natural barrier.

Area 51 is also close. I would expect Area 51 to fulfill the same purpose as the Hoover Dam facility in Van Buren - a genetic testing lab, with creatures gene-spliced with each other and some unknown entity.

Edited by Pop

Death Valley is an amazing place. The whole area would be a great barrier, but I think it would be nice if we could see some stuff on the edge of the place. It has some unique plants and what not.

Anyhow, I'm just wondering if they can include all of this stuff. For me, Area 51 would be awesome. Yucca Mountain is close enough to Area 51 to be part of that experience or just another place that happens to be relatively nearby. I think the map should not be the classic box shape. instead, and this is something mkreku said earlier, account for the natural boundaries. That way, it can go south and east to include Lake Mead and Valley of Fire, and then west and north to include Red Rock, some of the northern mountains, Area 51, and Yucca (truly a sore spot with Nevadans!). That might make it easier to fudge the scale a bit and still include some prominent locations. It depends on what can be done with the map. Area 51 is way the hell off from Las Vegas, as is Death Valley. It's at least a few days walk under the best of conditions, and that assumes a healthy PC with good stamina and a lot of endurance, not to mention supplies. The idea the PC would just kind of wander there is entirely unrealistic, although Fallout has never been known for its uber realism.

Well Yucca and 51 would have been, in terms of the first games, locations that the PC would be unlikely to just run across (like Navarro in F2) It's different for F3-style gameplay of course, but there are ways of making them inaccessible. Both Area 51 and Yucca Mountain are situated in a Nuclear Test Site. If we assume this would be an area that houses nuclear weapons in the Fallout timeline it would itself be a target for nuking. Or perhaps the bombs dropped while waste was en route to Yucca, making the area around it highly radioactive ala the area around the plot-critical vault in Fallout 3. There are ways of preventing entry into the site without really obscuring it from the player. They could even be jointly critical areas, like Mariposa and the Cathedral.

And I think Sawyer already addressed the map issues in a map like Fallout 3's. Yucca mountain is in actuality about 90 miles away from Vegas, but distance can be easily compressed in such a way that it won't be conspicuous to the vast majority of players. That or they could institute a separate map that requires off-screen travel, like the Pitt or the new areas of Broken Steel.

Edited by Pop

Well Yucca and 51 would have been, in terms of the first games, locations that the PC would be unlikely to just run across (like Navarro in F2) It's different for F3-style gameplay of course, but there are ways of making them inaccessible. Both Area 51 and Yucca Mountain are situated in a Nuclear Test Site. If we assume this would be an area that houses nuclear weapons in the Fallout timeline it would itself be a target for nuking. Or perhaps the bombs dropped while waste was en route to Yucca, making the area around it highly radioactive ala the area around the plot-critical vault in Fallout 3. There are ways of preventing entry into the site without really obscuring it from the player. They could even be jointly critical areas, like Mariposa and the Cathedral.

The hell with that, why artifically fence off areas? Especially in a game that considers itself a "sandbox". Let the player wander in, allow them to grab plot-critical items before they're even told about them.

No more key-only doors! No more 'unconcious' NPCs! No more super-radiation!

It's not sequence breaking if there's no sequence to break.

I don't know. It might be simple enough to make it inaccessible without doing anything artificial. The PC simply might not have the means to get to some outlying areas until later in the game. That could be in the form of better equipment, a larger source of transportable water, better radiation gear, or any number of things. Also, I don't think it's all that unreasonable to use some events to open up areas. For example, the PC is more than welcome to try to make it to Area 51, but will simply die of radiation poisoning before he reaches it. Somewhere along the line, he gets access to rad-x and rad away. Using these, he can reach Area 51 with some difficulty. Later, he might get a radation suit, which is easier but makes for tough fights. Still later, he gets power armor with rad resistance. That makes it pretty easy. Finally, he gets access to transportation ala the car in FO2. Then it's a quick drive to get there.

Now, I don't think making areas so permeated by radiation (or heat or a lot of other things) that the PC cannot traverse them is terrible. There are some places that we cannot go in real life for a variety of reasons. The PC in Fallout 3 cannot swim across the Atlantic, for instance, to have tea with Queen Elizabeth II, the ghoul. That's why natural barriers are perfectly legit in my book. Clever and setting appropriate ways to open these areas to the PC are just as legitimate as long as they are well designed.

For example, the PC is more than welcome to try to make it to Area 51, but will simply die of radiation poisoning before he reaches it. Somewhere along the line, he gets access to rad-x and rad away. Using these, he can reach Area 51 with some difficulty. Later, he might get a radation suit, which is easier but makes for tough fights. Still later, he gets power armor with rad resistance. That makes it pretty easy. Finally, he gets access to transportation ala the car in FO2. Then it's a quick drive to get there.

That's fine, that's not artificial. Those are limitations based on the player's build and equipment, meaning that a clever player could concievably fudge their way inside whenever they feel like it.

But take a look at Vault 87 in Fallout 3. RAD-X and gear don't work, you're *going* to die if you try to go in. The only entrance is through little lamplight meaning: No Entry Until the Designer Says So.

Because what if the player somehow makes it in there before they're Allowed and gets the GECK? That would ruin their delightful scripted event where you're kidnapped. And what if you go in there before your father is dead?

Boy, telling a completely linear, unmutable story in an open world sandbox game that is supposedly focused on CHOICE sure is tough! Blecchh.

Well, thanks for the major spoilers.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Well, thanks for the major spoilers.

you're still playing that game and you're reading through this thread? dude. the shame's on you.

Fallout 3's story is nothing special, so it's not like the game is broken for you now.

and i thought all the FO3 fans didn't play for the story anyway? don't worry, you can still wander around aimlessly, play dress up and decorate your house.

Whoa the discussion has grown a lot since my last visit.

But anyways ive been listening to ulver lately and id like to use their more ambient music as a example what sort of music id like to hear in NV:

Somnam

Theme

Lyckantropen

and i thought all the FO3 fans didn't play for the story anyway? don't worry, you can still wander around aimlessly, play dress up and decorate your house.

Hey man, it's "show not tell". Lots of stories to be told...like...that pack of noodles I found in the cupboard clearly meant this was the last stand of a man defending his homestead from invaders. And stuff.

Fallout 3's storyline is spoiled if you play Fallout 2.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra