Obsidian making Fallout: New Vegas

Gorth

Personally I am wondering If Obsidian will use any of the Van Baurren materials. Playing the prisoner number 13 could have been nice :p

i hypothesized early on that if Avellone and Sawyer do indeed work together on this that they'd try to pack as much VB stuff in as possible, if for no other reason than the epic disappointment they must have felt after it was canceled.

i hypothesized early on that if Avellone and Sawyer do indeed work together on this that they'd try to pack as much VB stuff in as possible, if for no other reason than the epic disappointment they must have felt after it was canceled.

I still hope for the appearance (at least reference) of the Hanged Man.

I don't really want a time limit, per se. It's entirely possible for Obsidian to create a story where the final goal is not so urgent that the PC doesn't have time to "prepare" or some such. I'm thinking more of specific quests. "My cat is stuck up in the tree." "A group of hungry raiders just stole my dog." "A small tribe of vampires just stole my sister!" I think there should be something significant about what the PC chooses to do. I also think that some of the consequences will not be immediately apparent.

Of course, I think the consumers have voiced their opinion on this issue, so I'm probably just SooL. I'm going to say that's what I want anyhow, damn it!

Shipped =! Sold

Shipped =>[direct correlation to]=> Sold

It's pointless trying to rewrite history, the fact of the matter is that Fallout 3 was probably THE most successful title of 2008*

So yeah, we can expect New Vegas to be a little bit similar to it. The main issue is that if none of the flaws in Fallout 3 are addressed in its followups then they're turning their golden child IP into diminishing goods. And if there's any big title that's on the precipice of a major public opinion backlash, it's Fallout 3. Especially after the hugely bungled DLC.

EDIT

*Okay I forgot WoW lich king, but let's consider that part of its own little bubble society

Edited by bhlaab

That wouldn't be his call, that's Bethsoft's. Last I recall SIMPLE wasn't a commercial asset and thus wasn't really claimed by Bethsoft, but they could considering the direct ties to their property. The chances of us seeing it in a game are about as high as Obsidian getting to take a crack at a Fallout game.

I was referring primarily to the information about the world, the Commonwealths in particular. Given that he's the lead on F:NV and the original surviving lead of Van Buren, I think he is in the position to make such decisions.

What's simple?

http://pnp.fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Simple:_Main_Page

I doubt there will be any connection between Van Buren and Fallout: NV. It has been too long a time since Van Buren was shelved and I am sure Obsidian has other ideas they want to implement by now...

But there would be no reason why they couldn't include at least some of the ideas from Van Buren. I think the biggest reason to leave out some of van buren is because too many of the small details seems to have made it to various places. I'm they don't want to have the entire story blown before they ship the product.

I also agree with bhlaab. Obsidian simply has to fix some of the "in your face" errors in NV.

Good that I never read the Van Buren design docs. Playing New Vegas would be only half as fun knowing that they reuse some of that stuff.

Has there been any indication that they might? I really doubt they will reuse much from Van Buren - time has moved on since that project.

Time may have moved on, but there's still a chance they're using some stories/quests and characters from VB. Nothing wrong with that, as long as they're integrated in a sensible manner.

But there would be no reason why they couldn't include at least some of the ideas from Van Buren. I think the biggest reason to leave out some of van buren is because too many of the small details seems to have made it to various places. I'm they don't want to have the entire story blown before they ship the product.

I also agree with bhlaab. Obsidian simply has to fix some of the "in your face" errors in NV.

It is also the fact that Van Buren was being made with a different engine; was being made long ago; the design documents are probably no longer available; new people are on the project with their own ideas and so on and so on. A little bit of Van Buren might make it into the game, but I doubt it will be significant.

Good that I never read the Van Buren design docs. Playing New Vegas would be only half as fun knowing that they reuse some of that stuff.

Has there been any indication that they might? I really doubt they will reuse much from Van Buren - time has moved on since that project.

Time may have moved on, but there's still a chance they're using some stories/quests and characters from VB. Nothing wrong with that, as long as they're integrated in a sensible manner.

I suppose that's true, but they might not even have the old design documents any more and probably have a lot of other stories to tell. A little bit of Van Buren might appear in Fallout: New Vegas, but I wouldn't expect it to be significant.

I suppose that's true, but they might not even have the old design documents any more and probably have a lot of other stories to tell. A little bit of Van Buren might appear in Fallout: New Vegas, but I wouldn't expect it to be significant.

Well the issue isn't about the availability of the VB docs, as basically everyone can download it from the net (or Bethesda provides them). The point is just whether Obsidian wants to reuse VB stuff. Whatever makes sense for them, I'm not worried about the final result.

Edited by Morgoth

I don't really want a time limit, per se.

I really hate time limits in RPGs, so I am definitely with you on this one. If there are time limits, I feel time-pressure and I have enough of that in real life and have no desire to feel it in games too.

Agreed. Time pressure = artificial stress = anti-purpose of games.

Please make no time pressure related quests Obsidian!

Well the issue isn't about the availability of the VB docs, as basically everyone can download it from the net (or Bethesda provides them). The point is just whether Obsidian wants to reuse VB stuff. Whatever makes sense for them, I'm not worried about the final result.

I am not really worried either. Obsidian will surely make it work well. I hadn't realized that the VB docs were so freely available.

i only kept up with NMA during the development stages, i never read the documents. not because i don't care...but because the entire situation was far too depressing to me.

I doubt there will be any connection between Van Buren and Fallout: NV. It has been too long a time since Van Buren was shelved and I am sure Obsidian has other ideas they want to implement by now...

should we hold a bet? because i bet you're wrong. just on a hunch. even the FO3 DLC's have bits of VB.

i only kept up with NMA during the development stages, i never read the documents. not because i don't care...but because the entire situation was far too depressing to me.

should we hold a bet? because i bet you're wrong. just on a hunch. even the FO3 DLC's have bits of VB.

Well, not having read VB design documents, I would not recognize such content even if it appeared there. :thumbsup:

Agreed. Time pressure = artificial stress = anti-purpose of games.

Please make no time pressure related quests Obsidian!

I really [totally] disagree with this. The WaterChip quest gave you immediate direction... Your vault was dying and had to be saved (or the game wouldn't bother letting you play anymore :thumbsup:); While it would make sense to have the option to let them die and go about your own life... Timed quests are still a good thing ~timers in general. Like with Necropolis in F1 (

and its timed invasion

). The thing I couldn't stand more than all else in Oblivion was that the whole world could be on the virge of destruction if you don't do something about it... and you can go camping the mountains for a month ~and it waits for you.

Timed events and quests make it mandatory that you decide to do them or not; The idea that you could be begged to go fetch a poison cure... and get around to returning weeks later to a thankful NPC that hastily takes the drug... is nuts.

Well, not having read VB design documents, I would not recognize such content even if it appeared there. :thumbsup:

i mean this without a trace of facetiousness, but you should go and do a bit of reading at The Vault (Fallout Wiki). it's not the same as ruining something by reading the documents, but it gives you a pretty good idea of what was to be, and some extras we might see in the future (since i think we are quite likely to).

I think time limits are fine in a small scale, ie: you must complete this particular objective in X amount of time, but I couldn't be less a fan of time limits that make you rush through an entire game.

Realistic it may be, but fun it ain't.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Right. The balance should be to add a little piquancy, some suspense, to the the quests, not to beat down the player with excessive time limits. The main quest should not be timed, and I think it's possible to write a main quest that need not be timed. (As opposed to Oblivion, where the quest was clearly urgent but the player could ignore it.) I think some quests should be under a sort of time constraint, but the nature of time and how it relates to the main quest line and side quests is tricky.

Perhaps if the time limit did not end with an abrupt failure and the end of the game. Instead, as the time limit is reached and surpassed by different degrees, it causes the nature of the reward or problem to change.

A cheering hero's welcome turns to panicked relief, then to resentful relief, then angry and desperate survivors sick from tainted water, then an empty vault where the remaining inhabitants have trekked off to a nearby settlement to survive. The sense of desperation and connection to the vault is preserved, but the penalty for failure is initially small and increases very gradually. You would actually want to see different levels of bad endings.

The vault inhabitants' desperation may also cause them to make bad decisions like allying with a wasteland town or supplying a group of raiders in exchange for water. You would have to deal with these developments now that you surpassed the time limit. Technically this is a penalty for the PC, but as the player, it just new quests that are otherwise unavailable, so it ends up being a reward for you.

So perhaps the time limit of old, where you fail as soon as it hits zero, is outmoded. But the concept and the feeling of urgency could be used in newer and more rewarding ways.

Oh Jimmy, you were so funny.

Don't let me down.

From habit he lifts his watch; it shows him its blank face.

Zero hour, Snowman thinks. Time to go.

I'm actually hoping that the PC isn't a vault-dweller. Tibbets in Van Buren was a good method of giving players some minor vault-level tech at the beginning of the game, plus it was an excellent story hook. Starting off with a mystery is nice, if it's not old-hat RPG tropes (your father is missing and you must find him, etc.)

I have the feeling that Obsidz is going to try something new.

I'm actually hoping that the PC isn't a vault-dweller. Tibbets in Van Buren was a good method of giving players some minor vault-level tech at the beginning of the game, plus it was an excellent story hook. Starting off with a mystery is nice, if it's not old-hat RPG tropes (your father is missing and you must find him, etc.)

I have the feeling that Obsidz is going to try something new.

word.

i like this sentiment.