Obsidian's another unannounced title?

funcroc

Guest PoziomyPion

Nope its Gamebryo (or something like that) which Bethesda uses since Morrowind. Ofcourse they tweak the engine to add moar blur with every new game they release on Gamebryo.

Possibly related is the unannounced Unreal 3 game listed on The Great One's LinkedIn Page... ?

That's Alpha Protocol.

Well, that's one piece of info at least: none of Obsidian's current projects use the Unreal engine, besides AP.

"I am currently lead designer of our (currently unannounced) Unreal 3 project"

Chris is lead designer on AP.

Follow me on twitter - @adam_brennecke

What is NX3?

Something which, as of the present moment, may or may not exist. It's all detailed Schrodinger's Press Release.

If it does exist, it's the third expansion to Neverwinter Nights 2.

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

Snif, will there ever be a 3rd NWN2 expansion? >_<

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Possibly related is the unannounced Unreal 3 game listed on The Great One's LinkedIn Page... ?

That's Alpha Protocol.

Well, that's one piece of info at least: none of Obsidian's current projects use the Unreal engine, besides AP.

"I am currently lead designer of our (currently unannounced) Unreal 3 project"

Chris is lead designer on AP.

Yes, but he automatically knew that the Unreal game was Alpha Protocol, which means it's the only one. >_<

Even if it's a fantasy game, I hope that Obsidian will develop his own IP/Rules like Bioware has done with DA:O and not D&D.

Why? Well, I would like another D&D fantasy game but not with real time combat. D&D rule system does not make a lot of sense in general, but doesn't make allmost any sense in real time, especially after 3rd and 4th edition that are so focused around the miniature's business. Imho, AD&D was better for a Real Time combat game. And since turn based game are not fancy and no one wants to develop them anymore, I suppose that a new D&D game would be another real time poor interpretation of the game mechanics.

If Obsidian makes a new D&D game and it's based on the 4th edition, I hope that they will give us at least the option to play turn based if we prefer that way.

Even if it's a fantasy game, I hope that Obsidian will develop his own IP/Rules like Bioware has done with DA:O and not D&D.

Why? Well, I would like another D&D fantasy game but not with real time combat. D&D rule system does not make a lot of sense in general, but doesn't make allmost any sense in real time, especially after 3rd and 4th edition that are so focused around the miniature's business. Imho, AD&D was better for a Real Time combat game. And since turn based game are not fancy and no one wants to develop them anymore, I suppose that a new D&D game would be another real time poor interpretation of the game mechanics.

If Obsidian makes a new D&D game and it's based on the 4th edition, I hope that they will give us at least the option to play turn based if we prefer that way.

Obsidian's latest two titles were both their own rulesets and essentially their own IPs (Aliens is half-half). I think it's fair to say they certainly want to do their own thing.

But given circumstances, there's a fair chance this next unannounced project won't be their own ruleset/setting. Actually, there's a fair chance it will be their own setting too. How about a coin toss?

But given circumstances, there's a fair chance this next unannounced project won't be their own ruleset/setting. Actually, there's a fair chance it will be their own setting too. How about a coin toss?

I don't know... I understand that Obsidian have to use (at least in part) existing franchises for business reason since they still haven't got the marketing power of a Blizzard or a EA... but why translate in real time a rule system that was tailored for miniatures turn based game?

If they want to make a fantasy game and to use an existing IP for marketing reasons, why don't they try to acquire the right to famous IP like A song of Ice and Fire or Wheel of Time, and create a ruleset that is indeed good for real time combat, instead of trying to make an interpretation of the D&D system that in most case is bound to be pretty artificial?

Edited by meomao

I don't know... I understand that Obsidian have to use (at least in part) existing franchises for business reason since they still haven't got the marketing power of a Blizzard or a EA... but why translate in real time a rule system that was tailored for miniatures turn based game?

If they want to make a fantasy game and to use an existing IP for marketing reasons, why don't they try to acquire the right to famous IP like A song of Ice and Fire or Wheel of Time, and create a ruleset that is indeed good for real time combat, instead of trying to make an interpretation of the D&D system that in most case is bound to be pretty artificial?

Preaching to the converted, mate.

Preaching to the converted, mate.

:lol:

I read Obsidian boards from time to time and I now that most of the active poster share the same opinions that I've expressed. I just want to voice my opinion in the thin hope that it could affect Obsidian plan one way or the other :).

Well I'm sure they want something to use that Onyx engine they got brewing.

And a Song of Ice and Fire game would be boss. Especially if GRRM was actively involved, though I'd also like DwD to just come out already.

Yep, Obsidian making an ASOIAF crpg with Onyx would be really great. But GRRM has to concentrate on ADwD (and the next two books) and he's allready involved in the HBO's series: the pilot will be shoot next fall. I don't think that Martin's involvement is needed for a good CRPG, even if he is an active RPG player and could help a project like that. Well, having said that, I know that it will never happen :). But we live for our dreams :).

Well, they just announced FO, and Aliens has been announced for a long time, so the unannounced project has to be something else.. no?

iwd3.. ? o:)

J.

Does Icewind Dale exist in 4th edition of D&D?

I heard only Sword Coast was saved from some big catastrophe.

From the 4'ed Campaign Guide:

Sword Coast

Commerce along the Trade Way and other caravan

routes binds the city-states of the Sword Coast. The

coast itself is treacherous, featuring undersea reefs,

rocky outcroppings, and a soft, mucky bottom that

extends for miles in many areas. True ports are few

and far between, a fact that makes the sheltered

bay at the foot of Mount Waterdeep so precious. Its

natural harbor has permitted Waterdeep, the City

of Splendors, to grow into one of the shining jewels

of the Sword Coast. Port cities north of Waterdeep

didn

Personally, I'm hoping for an RPG in which one of the central scenes consists of a pair of angels debating over how many humans can dance on the top of the Eiffel Tower, while they both stand on the head of a pin.

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

Aliens is more of the 'Terror' side than horror according to James Cameron in the bonus interview. Knowing he is unable to replicate the horror moments in Aliens, he simply focus the pacing more on terror.

I think we are getting into technicalities. "Terror" rather than "horror" is good enough for me! Let's get some Aliens! :thumbsup: