Obsidian's another unannounced title?

funcroc

I always thought that WoT was this "half project", actually, since Obsidian apparently is doing only technical stuff, while guys from WoT are doing all the rest (like scenario, lore, overall design, etc.). I wouldn't be surprised if that's why they would call it "half project", as Obsidian doesn't do anything related to "creative" side.

Does WoT count as one of those projects? I know that has already been announced, but I don't know the date of that presentation.

Going by Larry Liberty's podcast no.

Apparently Red Eagle games still hasn't secured the fundings.. which puts them in a rather bad light imho, but you can just ignore my overtly negative comments. :lol:

Hey, negative comments are awesome! So, if WoT or NV aren't counted as part of the "Two and a half projects" then that leaves 1 1/2 unannounced projects in the pipeline, since I am counting DS 3 as one.

EDIT: Taking Dermi's post into account, that still leaves one project, and I hope it is a zinger!

Edited by Mirage

Developer Profile: Obsidian (Feb 1, 2006)

"Obsidian's currently staffing up. Feargus hopes to have over 100 people by the end of the year with an eventual goal of having around 120 to 140 people. That will allow them to have teams working on three different games. Ideally, one team will be working on the core concepts of a game while the other two will be in full production mode."

That was the idea yeah, but did it really turn out that well until now?

Fallout New Vegas could get a pass because it's a project on top of an existing engine, almost untouched, with Obsidian just building content and new assets for the most part (yeah, there has been a rebalance and all that, but from the tech pov, they haven't changed much).

But Dungeon Siege III is, as far as we know, a project done from scratch, worked on their proprietary engine, and with an existing franchise. Sounds to me that if they want this to be polished and published in a decent time (assuming they don't pull another Alpha Protocol again, announcing the game, and ending up publishing two years later) they'd have to work on it with a slightly larger team than usual, and it wouldn't hurt if it was managed.. well you know, how can I put it? Decently, yeah, that's the word.

Developer Profile: Obsidian (Feb 1, 2006)

"Obsidian's currently staffing up. Feargus hopes to have over 100 people by the end of the year with an eventual goal of having around 120 to 140 people. That will allow them to have teams working on three different games. Ideally, one team will be working on the core concepts of a game while the other two will be in full production mode."

That was the idea yeah, but did it really turn out that well until now?

Fallout New Vegas could get a pass because it's a project on top of an existing engine, almost untouched, with Obsidian just building content and new assets for the most part (yeah, there has been a rebalance and all that, but from the tech pov, they haven't changed much).

But Dungeon Siege III is, as far as we know, a project done from scratch, worked on their proprietary engine, and with an existing franchise. Sounds to me that if they want this to be polished and published in a decent time (assuming they don't pull another Alpha Protocol again, announcing the game, and ending up publishing two years later) they'd have to work on it with a slightly larger team than usual, and it wouldn't hurt if it was managed.. well you know, how can I put it? Decently, yeah, that's the word.

What? I just said Obsidian have been working on three projects at the same time since 2006, with two in full production and the other in pre-production (except for AP + Aliens +SoZ situation). Sorry but I don't need your long explanation about game development and project management. I trust Obsidian's opinions more than yours.

What? I just said Obsidian have been working on three projects at the same time since 2006, with two in full production and the other in pre-production (except for AP + Aliens +SoZ situation). Sorry but I don't need your long explanation about game development and project management. I trust Obsidian's opinions more than yours.

And I was just stating that from what I've seen and from my point of view, this hasn't worked as well as it should.

Feel free to disagree.

EDIT : Just to clarify, not all Obsidian's project have been mismanaged, and actually, Mask of the Betrayer and Storm of Zehir are examples of smooth developing and relatively good resource allocation. Problem is, all the full fledged games they've published until now (well, I can't blame them for KOTOR2) have been mismanaged. I know I sometimes sound overtly negative, and I actually even lampshaded, but that's because I've liked Obsidian's games until now, I consider both KOTOR 2 and NWN 2 flawed but really enjoyable experience, and since I enjoy their design philosophy and writing more than other big developers of CRPGs, I wish they could, you know, come out of this clunky phase and become more consistent in their delivery.

That's all, no conspiracy against Obsidian on my part, though I probably should tone down the sarcasm, but that's just because I'm a jerkass.

Edited by WorstUsernameEver

I love co-op games. Very few consol co-op games these days.

Good on ya...

Of course I was hoping for an Infinity engine IWD3 2'nd ed. D&D game, but -.. hey.. :ermm:

J.

Right, but seeing as Jade Empire was the least popular out of the three IPS (ME, DA, then of course JE), maybe Bioware decided to hand the sequel off to Obsidian. It is probably a wrong speculation, just wanted to throw that out there.

I was under the impression that JE didn't sell awfully, just not at blockbuster levels either.

(I'd love to see a sequel from Bioware, personally).

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Did any of you play Demigod from GPG? The game has an exellent atmosphere and art style. I am confident that the trio of Square Enix, GPG and Obsidian will come up with some interesting stuff. :sorcerer:

Also, I can imagine Square Enix is a way better publisher than SEGA as well.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

I was hoping for a real RPG they would be working on. An Action RPG? Me sad puppy.

Let's wait for something else than concept art before we make any assumptions about the nature of the game. :lol:

I mean, all the games in this "Fallout" series had identical gameplay? :shifty:

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

When they were promoting Dragon Age the co-founders of Bioware hinted that something might be in the works for Jade Empire. It was nothing concrete, mostly just them stating how much they loved the development process and that we shouldn't assume it's been brushed aside. I can't remember which interview they said that though... I want to say it was probably one on gamespot, but I can't be sure. I'd love it if they did pick it back up though, as I don't really think that kind of game is Obsidian's style.

• 2 weeks later...

Obsidian Entertainment is looking for a new intern with Flash animation experience. This person should be comfortable creating characters, environments and effects in 2D, and have a basic understanding of classic animation techniques. Some knowledge of Actionscript (2.0 or 3.0) preferred.

:p

Characters, environments and effects in 2d.