Obsidian's another unannounced title?

funcroc

I don't think it'd be for them, really. Squeenix hasn't been shy about wanting a bigger share of the Western market - Final Fantasy sales are flagging even in Japan and it's got 'em scared. Ideally they want to be like Capcom, who are probably the most successful AAA japanese game company stateside, what with Resident Evil and Street Fighter selling in the millions. With Dead Rising 2, Capcom will be doing what Squeenix would really like to do - publish successful games that are made stateside.

You'd definitely hear no end to the complaining by... everybody, really. I'd be really surprised if Obsidz does in fact work with FF (that's assuming all this twitter stuff indeed points to a publishing deal). It seems to me like it'd just be really difficult to pull off in true Obsidz style. Which is why I'm assuming Obsidz would be working on an Eidos property.

Edited by Pop

A FF game?

Wait, aren't they just already busy working on 3 games?

Fallout: New Vegas, Wheel of Time and unannounced game(s). Most (or all) of the team who worked on Alpha Protocol has moved onto other projects.

Hate the living, love the dead.

If OEI were doing a FF game, nothing will be able to prepare us for the FF fanbase reaction. It'd be epic.

Delicious tears :p

edit: A western FF title, now there's a concept I find intriguing.

Edited by Syraxis

Well, I do doubt that we'll see OEI handling a FF title, hehe. But at any rate, if something *is* going on with SquareEnix and OEI, maybe a new IP or something? That'd be interesting. It does seem like there would be more stuff in the pipeline at any rate. AP seems to be finished. Wheel of Time is going on, but New Vegas will only be in development until autumn and then that team will need something else to do.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

If OEI were doing a FF game, nothing will be able to prepare us for the FF fanbase reaction. It'd be epic.

Delicious tears :shifty:

edit: A western FF title, now there's a concept I find intriguing.

There was a Final Fantasy title in development by the western developer GRIN before they ran out of money and shut down. If the rumors are true though, the game may still be in development. Speculation is fun :shifty:

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/09/21/rumor-gr...-of-new-studio/

While the closure of GRIN was sad for many reasons, some of you may have been disappointed never to have seen the company's Final Fantasy project, which we believe is the Fortress game seen in this concept art. Based on word from "sources close to both [GRIN and Square Enix]," GamesIndustry.biz reports that the game is actually still in development -- though obviously no longer by GRIN.
Edited by LostStraw

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/09/21/rumor-gr...-of-new-studio/
While the closure of GRIN was sad for many reasons, some of you may have been disappointed never to have seen the company's Final Fantasy project, which we believe is the Fortress game seen in this concept art. Based on word from "sources close to both [GRIN and Square Enix]," GamesIndustry.biz reports that the game is actually still in development -- though obviously no longer by GRIN.

Heh, I forgot all about that one. I would of been skeptical about its quality, judging by GRIN's track record (it's not that good). IIRC that was going to be more along the lines of a hack n' slash game.

If a western dev was doing their take on a FF game, I'd like a CRPG to come of it. I'm kind of hoping this rumor is true, I find it a very interesting thought.

OMFG. First Fallout: New Vegas, then WoT, and now FF? Obsidian will be through every major franchise I know of until Alpha Protocol is released. Or something :shifty:

Edited by Rostere

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Be aware that while a WoT MMO is planed for, it's not the game that Obsidian is working on :) Multiple games are planed to use the licence, and Obsidian clearly doesn't have the experience and "strength" to engage on such a project. I don't even think it's their thing, and the press release really wasn't phrased to make me think they were working on the MMO :down:

God, I hope its not the MMO.

And the other project is the last hope I have for K3.. :down:

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

Yes I agree, Obsidian should definitely hire the original development team (except for the one who was responsible for animations) from Arcanum and create a sequel.

Hey, you can always dream, right?

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

We need the black hound... :mellow:

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Teams Obsidian has:

Team 1: Alpha Protocol

Team 2: New Vegas

Team 3: Wheel of Time

I strongly suspect they have a fourth team. Anyway now that AP is finished, what will Team 1 be working on? Likely they'll spread Team 1 over their other games currently in production until their newest game (whatever it is) leaves the drawing board.

A western Final Fantasy made by Obs would probably wind up looking like a depressing mix of Planescape Torment and Arcanum.

... that would be real interesting.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"