Obsidian making Fallout: New Vegas

Fionavar

fps combat in fo3 sucked, it needed VATS
IMO ~Given the current options left... It should have been a lot more like KotOR2, (with FPP as an Option as KotOR2 had, but in this case better used).

*As I recall, KotOR2 had FPP similar to Nocturne, by 'Terminal Velocity'.

**I'd really appreciate official support for WASD + Point & Click (as NWN2/MotB had).

Edited by Gizmo

I don't have anything against VATS since I haven't played FO3, but I'm just wondering how useful it actually is. I mean, couldn't they have just opted for making actually good shooting mechanics with location-based damage? Is it really mainly for Hades players who can't aim?

The RT shooting mechanics and the enemy behavior left much to be desired. Plus you took like 10% damage or something in VATS. Its was like a god mode.

Also the fact that melee and unarmed character couldnt target certain body parts was disappointing.

It would be nice if Luck was integrated more into VATS instead of just for crits. Things like jamming, bad bounces on grenades, duds, etc.

That's how F3 works, the [Lie] tag is applied to the players own dialogue options, that Planescape did it first is irrelevant. In one of the first (if not the first) dialogue options you have, Amata asks you if you were surprised regarding the birthday, and the player has the option to lie and claim they knew about it all along. If the player can lie to others, why wouldn't they assume that others can also lie to them?

Kreia lied and told half truths all throughout KotOR II

Lying is something that isnt done enough in story driven games. It can add a lot to the depth and dialogue

It would be nice if Luck was integrated more into VATS instead of just for crits. Things like jamming, bad bounces on grenades, duds, etc.
Its just a guess, but I get the impression that Bethesda is loath to annoy the player, and willing to skew gameplay to ensure that the player never feels at all frustrated ~because they'll ditch the game(?)

This would seem to ignore the players who enjoy (or even thrive) on a deeper challenge and are not phased by minor setbacks that make sense.

*The idea seems to be to create the perfect 'power trip' simulator, instead of the perfect RPG.

** Its understandable too, as this might appeal to a broad cross-section of the market.

***Sad for some though :p

Edited by Gizmo

That's how F3 works, the [Lie] tag is applied to the players own dialogue options, that Planescape did it first is irrelevant. In one of the first (if not the first) dialogue options you have, Amata asks you if you were surprised regarding the birthday, and the player has the option to lie and claim they knew about it all along. If the player can lie to others, why wouldn't they assume that others can also lie to them?

Kreia lied and told half truths all throughout KotOR II

Lying is something that isnt done enough in story driven games. It can add a lot to the depth and dialogue

Kreia is currently the pinnacle of NPC writing, at least to me. In terms of overall writing quality, PS:T wins, but when particular NPCs are concerned, it's Kreia.

So true. <3 Kreia.

Fallout 3 had Harold and Moira, those were interesting. I feel Dukov could have had more screen time, though, but overall there weren't all that many interesting characters.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

So true. <3 Kreia.

Fallout 3 had Harold and Moira, those were interesting. I feel Dukov could have had more screen time, though, but overall there weren't all that many interesting characters.

Harold was one of the worse parts of the game. I wanted to kill someone for writing that part and character assassination.

Moira was just plain annoying.

I like Eden, but he ending up being a poor man's Master

This thread is getting a bit long... more Fallout here

:lol:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein