Obsidian making Fallout: New Vegas

Fionavar

I see a lot of similarities between the two, although I had more fun with Fallout 3. I guess the WH/40K analogy works, though. When I first purchased Fallout 3, I expected it to be virtually the same as Oblivion. ...And it was. Still, it had such a different feel to me, whether that's because of the setting or the SPECIAL ruleset or some other reason, I don't know.

My point isn't that Oblivion is completely irrelevant to a larger discussion. It's that Fallout 3 serves as a better basis for discussing New Vegas. Aw, hell, who am I to say? ;)

I'd never heard of that swimming thing. That was funny.

By the way, No Mutants Allowed already has a whole forum board for New Vegas, with some interesting discussions going on there:

http://nma-fallout.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=66

Unfortunately, NMA as well as the Codex are sites banned specifically by Bethesda and their employee's. The thing is, I doubt that the Obsidian can visit there and possibly gather some input from that community.

So that assumes the only voice we have for F:NV is this ONE thread..... and the Beth forums... which I am banned from. :/

So that assumes the only voice we have for F:NV is this ONE thread..... and the Beth forums... which I am banned from. :/

yeh. me too. if only i knew years ago that this would happen...i'd have been nicer. tee-hee. but, anyway...even as subcontracted companies they can't visit? I know i saw Sawyer at teh codex. maybe they just need to hire a mule if this is truly true. ;)

It's always been the point IMO.

it's always been the point to sell to the Xbox? i think you missed my joke, mate.

Seems that way. You made a comment responding to a comment about how sales are the bottom line, particularly the XBOX 360 (since that's where most of the sales are going to come from anyway).

The joke in your comment seems rather cryptic.

My take on the leveling issue in FO3 is that it was the first time Beth used experience-based leveling in their sandbox, and they miscalculated the size of awards. Not really surprising and a mistake I see them unlikely to repeat (although in FO4 there's the chance they'll over-compensate and make them too small ;) ).

They have stated in many occasions, that they make most of the adjustments/corrections to their game while playing it and that in the last phase of development, everyone in the dev team plays the game extensively, giving suggestions, pinpointing mistakes.

Do you think it

Seems that way. You made a comment responding to a comment about how sales are the bottom line, particularly the XBOX 360 (since that's where most of the sales are going to come from anyway).

(pssst. the xbox hasn't always existed.)

it's really not that important. if you didn't find it amusing, i apologize (with tears).

(pssst. the xbox hasn't always existed.)

But the goal of selling games has always existed, and it seemed like that was the point of the poster's comment. The fact that the XBOX 360 was where the bulk of the sales went is just extra fluff. If developers aren't making games for the XBOX 360, they're doing it for a different system (including the PC).

Sorry to bother everyone, but I've read multiple times on this boards that JE Sawyer exposed some thought about VATS somewhere, anybody knows where would that be?

Do a search for VATS of Sawyer's posts. Basically, he doesn't like VATS because of its potential for exploits.

VATS is game breaking because of its disruption of F3's basic real time mechanics.

I pretty much suck at FPS games which tends to kill the "immersion" in standard FPS/RPGs when my real life lack of skill keeps getting my on screen character killed. I liked VATS because it at least allowed me to survive in a FPP/RT environment so I could appreciate the rest of the game.

I'm not convinced, given that Fallout 3 did have you randomly encountering significantly more difficult enemies as you gained levels. I'd rather deal with the random knife welding savage than one of the psycho plasma firing robots or even a Deathclaw.

IDK, I played the game at Very Hard almost from the get go,and had my character been in a really difficult situation only a couple of times, especially when caught off guard by a Deathclaw or a bunch of Radscorpions or that nasty Talon mercs.

There was an over-abundance of

Edited by IguanaBob

I don't see why there's so much handwringing over the difficulty level. I'm almost certain that New Vegas will be substantially more difficult than FO:3. I'm absolutely certain that a lot of die-hards will complain that it's too easy and some of them will even say it's easier that FO:3. Complaining about game difficulty has become all but cliched.

Fallout 3 seemed difficult enough for me, by which I mean that you could survive any particular area of the game without any reloads if you were cautious enough. This was particularly true if you'd been in that area previously. You could still get killed, especially if you set the game to hard and were either ill-prepared or suffered a few bad breaks.

By the way, I do hope that the Brotherhood of Steel won't appear in the game, or at least won't be part of the main storyline. They've been overused already.

I feel the same way, though I'd like the BOS to be at war with the NCR as in Van Buren. But I'd really like the super mutants and especially the Enclave to have minor roles.

But the goal of selling games has always existed, and it seemed like that was the point of the poster's comment. The fact that the XBOX 360 was where the bulk of the sales went is just extra fluff. If developers aren't making games for the XBOX 360, they're doing it for a different system (including the PC).

yes, yes, yadda, yadda, yadda.

i was making a little "buh-dum-ching!" joke about the degradation of PC games since the Console boom. sheesh. guess who i'm not inviting to a party? (you. yeah, you.)

Edited by TwinkieGorilla

Bethesda might not visit NMA and the Codex, but nothing prevents Obsidian devs from going there. In fact, JE Sawyer has posted at the Codex in the recent days.

NMA is hardly unbiased. Then again, no one really is when it comes to Fallout. I see my friends Asur and Gizmo precede me.

I've been lurking the last couple of days, trying to decide if I want to be active here. I don't share most of the likes of this group. I'm a fan of all the Fallout RPGs, including FO3. I prefer the open, sandbox, freeform exploration style of RPGs over the story driven RPGs that most of you here favor. No surprise there: Obsidian excels at deep story driven RPGs, and Beth excels at Sandbox games. Most of the drama over the past several years have been over gameplay styles more than anything else. I hope that we can focus more on this new game than on the old, tired Fallout debate.

And that is why I am excited about F:NV. With any luck, we will get the best of both of these RPG genres, and if we do, many of us will be happy campers.

How nice. This advances the argument how?

ummmm, which argument are we talking about?

Not argument, discussion. Now, of you are going to play forum PVP with me, I'll ignore it.

What do you think of this merger of game styles?

Edit: For horrible typing

Edited by Kjarista

yes, yes, yadda, yadda, yadda.

i was making a little "buh-dum-ching!" joke about the degradation of PC games since the Console boom. sheesh. guess who i'm not inviting to a party? (you. yeah, you.)

That wasn't clear.

For some reason though I'm less inclined to feel that that is my fault.

C'est la vie.

Not argument, discussion. Now, of yopua re going to play forum PVP with me, I'll ignore it.

PVP? aww, nah. i was jus' joshin' ya. i'm excited we can have at it again. it's no fun bein' locked outta somewheres you wanna be, man.

What do you think of this merger of game styles?

i'm quite excited, to be perfectly honest. without getting into a long series of nitpicking ('cause i really could) the biggest problems i have with FO3 are the failure of SPECIAL and the dialogue/writing/atmosphere which i view as ranging from tacky to downright embarrassing. i trust old Fallout devs to cure...at the very least, these things.

That wasn't clear.

For some reason though I'm less inclined to feel that that is my fault.

awwww, probably not. it's not the first time i've failed to get a joke through or a point across. c'est la vie indeed.

Edited by TwinkieGorilla

i'm quite excited, to be perfectly honest. without getting into a long series of nitpicking ('cause i really could) the biggest problems i have with FO3 are the failure of SPECIAL and the dialogue/writing/atmosphere which i view as ranging from tacky to downright embarrassing. i trust old Fallout devs to cure...at the very least, these things.

There is the potential to fix these things, especially the dialogue, which I think Obsidan tends to do especially well. This is why I think it's going to be a perfect fit. What would fit my playstyle nicely is a FO3 with stellar dialogue and well developed quests, while still giving me plenty to explore on my own.