Painkiller: Resurrection (2009)

Reluctant Hero (2009)

Wolfenstein (2009)

Afterfall (2010)

Zero Projekt (tba)

Rage (2010)

Mass Effect 2 (2010)

Scars of War (2010)

That's a pretty good list (except the ones I crossed out..). I would probably only want to add Alan Wake (yes, it's supposed to come out in 2009, believe it or not) I am Alive (the teaser is excellent) and Dead Island (dead in the water?). Oh, and I am eagerly awaiting Eschalon: Book II.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I'm still a bit wary about Max Payne 3. No Remedy involved, after all

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Well I was interested in both DX3 and a possible Thief 4, but now that a stranger on the internet has whined about it I've totally lost interest.

Hey, I'm just trying to soften the blow of the inevitable.

For example,

Alan Wake (yes, it's supposed to come out in 2009

It won't.

Edited by bhlaab

You really wanna know?

Fuel (05/12/09)

Damnation (05/26/09)

Bionic Commando (May 2009)

Red Faction Guerilla (06/09/2009)

Ghostbusters (06/13/2009)

Prototype (June 2009)

Resident Evil 5 (07/13/09)

Dark Void (08/04/09)

Just Cause 2 (September 2009)

Alpha Protocol (October 2009)

Dragon Age Origins (11/03/09)

Max Payne 3 (Winter 2009)

White Gold (2009)

No Time for Dragons (2009)

Age of Decadence (2009)

Borderlands (2009)

Man of Prey (2009)

Mafia 2 (2009)

Arcania: A Gothic Tale (2009 winter)

Precursors (2009)

The Broken Hourglass (2009)

Risen (2009)

Black Mesa (2009)

Tension (2009)

Singularity (2009)

Dead Rising 2 (2009)

Painkiller: Resurrection (2009)

Reluctant Hero (2009)

Wolfenstein (2009)

Afterfall (2010)

Zero Projekt (tba)

Rage (2010)

Mass Effect 2 (2010)

Scars of War (2010)

(PS: You really don't want to start looking forward to a new Thief game, you're only setting yourself up for crushing disappointment when it turns out to be terrible)

Wow, that's a pretty huge list of games you are looking forward to!

I guess DX3 will be between DX and IW on the suck-oh-meter. Better than IW because of better technology, but worse than DX1, because you can't make Chess 2.

Was DX2 really as bad as I keep on hearing it was?

It was a crappy shooter and an even crappier RPG. It had nothing really going for it, but it was fun to play for the couple of hours it lasted.

I guess DX3 will be between DX and IW on the suck-oh-meter. Better than IW because of better technology, but worse than DX1, because you can't make Chess 2.

Was DX2 really as bad as I keep on hearing it was?

It was a crappy shooter and an even crappier RPG. It had nothing really going for it, but it was fun to play for the couple of hours it lasted.

Fair enough - put that way it does sound pretty bad.

Most people who played the original seem to hate it, most people who didn't seem to like it. The people who hate it never seem to give a reason other than "it wasn't like the original".

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Most people who played the original seem to hate it, most people who didn't seem to like it. The people who hate it never seem to give a reason other than "it wasn't like the original".

They hate it because of the over simplification of EVERYTHING.

I mean the ammo was all the same meaning you might as well amp out your pistol to conserve ammo, lock picks and multitools were the same thing, VERY linear, The branching story didn't mean anything until the end, levels were tiny.

It's not that it was a bad game... it just wasn't a good game either.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I tried to play it by taking it on its own value, it's still rubbish.

Their attempts at a streamlined, more user-friendly interface ended up to be intrusive, convoluted, and I'm still not sure how it works. It's a giant circle that is planted around the center of the screen and has a slot-based inventory, except there are two "layers" of slots except you can only see the first layer unless you stop and open the full inventory, and all sorts of crazy garbage like that.

Universal Ammo is terrible. The idea is that it's like mana, and the game is balanced by the fact that firing a pistol uses 2 ammos and using a rocket launcher takes 10 ammos. The problem is that when you run out of ammos you're screwed! The point of carrying multiple weapons in any FPS or RPG is that if you run out of ammo for one or can't use it for whatever reason you have another one. It's like they thought this through for about 2 seconds before implementing it.

The awful engine is stuttery even on current-gen cards, is prone to crashes, has some of the ugliest lighting I've ever seen, and can only handle small areas of about 3 or 4 small-to-medium-ish sized rooms in between agonizingly long load times. And since it's Deus Ex you have to backtrask through areas quite a bit meaning a simple fetch quest amounts to "walk through two rooms-- 15 second load time -- walk through three rooms -- 15 second load time -- etc etc etc" just to get from one end of a city to the other.

The gameplay is all about picking a faction and doing missions against the other factions, except there's no sort of reputation system in place to keep you from taking missions from the people you were just slaughtering ten minutes ago.

So yeah, I guess my reason is that "it wasn't like the original" in that the original was functional, well made, and entertaining.

Edited by bhlaab

Nah. Most people who hate it, hate it for very specific reasons.

I don't actually hate it, but I think its pretty poor. Mostly do to s complete lack of consequences to the player's actions. And cionsequences, choosing A SIDE, was going to be an important part of the game, iirc. Well, it wasn't.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Nah. Most people who hate it, hate it for very specific reasons.

I don't actually hate it, but I think its pretty poor. Mostly do to s complete lack of consequences to the player's actions. And cionsequences, choosing A SIDE, was going to be an important part of the game, iirc. Well, it wasn't.

it was basically "do the same mission as the other guy but don't kill who they want you to kill", then they merged the two factions and added two more.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I tried to play it by taking it on its own value, it's still rubbish.

Their attempts at a streamlined, more user-friendly interface ended up to be intrusive, convoluted, and I'm still not sure how it works. It's a giant circle that is planted around the center of the screen and has a slot-based inventory, except there are two "layers" of slots except you can only see the first layer unless you stop and open the full inventory, and all sorts of crazy garbage like that.

You select from a circular menu, what's so hard about that?
Universal Ammo is terrible. The idea is that it's like mana, and the game is balanced by the fact that firing a pistol uses 2 ammos and using a rocket launcher takes 10 ammos. The problem is that when you run out of ammos you're screwed! The point of carrying multiple weapons in any FPS or RPG is that if you run out of ammo for one or can't use it for whatever reason you have another one. It's like they thought this through for about 2 seconds before implementing it.
Ah, no, that's not the point at all. If you're not screwed when you run out of ammo, there's no point of having limited ammo. The point of universal ammo was so that it was up to you which gun you wanted to use in any situation, but more powerful weapons used a lot more ammo, so you weren't overpowered.
The awful engine is stuttery even on current-gen cards, is prone to crashes, has some of the ugliest lighting I've ever seen, and can only handle small areas of about 3 or 4 small-to-medium-ish sized rooms in between agonizingly long load times. And since it's Deus Ex you have to backtrask through areas quite a bit meaning a simple fetch quest amounts to "walk through two rooms-- 15 second load time -- walk through three rooms -- 15 second load time -- etc etc etc" just to get from one end of a city to the other.
I didn't have any of these problems, but then I played on the almighty Xbox. I thought the areas were pretty decent size, in fact about the same size as HL2, and loading was about the same. Also the areas although not terribly large were quite detailed.
The gameplay is all about picking a faction and doing missions against the other factions, except there's no sort of reputation system in place to keep you from taking missions from the people you were just slaughtering ten minutes ago.

The gameplay was about siding with whomever, and having several options on how to do the mission. There is a bit of reputation actually, like the Illuminati will send Elite troopers after you if you don't do what they want. In any case, the game offered a lot more freedom than most.

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

The gameplay was about siding with whomever, and having several options on how to do the mission. There is a bit of reputation actually, like the Illuminati will send Elite troopers after you if you don't do what they want. In any case, the game offered a lot more freedom than most.

It's a bit odd that you think so highly of Invisible War buy can't get past the first mission of Deus Ex. I'm not trying to be insulting or anything. Its just that Deus Ex is so far a superior game in pretty much every way. Not that DX is perfect; it has problems, but a lot fewer than IW.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

This is the Games of the FUTURE thread. DX and DX II are in the PAST.

Anyways, I do hope that this time around, they're able to use large, large areas. As consoles have improved in terms of memory and loading, it's more likely. The latest Prince of Persia even managed to do without load screens.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.