Obsidian making Fallout: New Vegas

funcroc

most games that do this have pre-determined milestone points but do not allow you to simply quit where you are, at least, you have to go back to the last milestone. kung fu panda on the PS3 does it this way. well, much to my son's dismay, we have been unable to figure out any way to actually save where you are other than pause and come back later.

taks

A lot of games are like that (its easier to make that way I'd imagine).

*The solution IMO might be to make a save anywhere game that autosaves at certain predetermined points, and that allows one to save & quit when they like (but does not allow them to save at will) ~some won't like that option though.

[edit: Didn't Diablo do this?]

**For them, how about make the Save behavior possible to set in the initial game options? ~marked in the game or to the character. IWD2 had "Heart of Fury" mode set from a config editor that tagged the game as an HOF game.

Edited by Gizmo

Sorry if this has been asked again but will it feature any elements from Van Buren?

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

and that allows one to save & quit when they like (but does not allow them to save at will)

um, think about this for a minute. these are the exact same things. all you have to do is save, quit, reload, try your option, quit, reload, etc.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Strange thought... [no really...]

Could Fallout Vegas be to Fallout 3 as Halo-wars is to Halo? :sorcerer:

(or is it not possible with the engine?) ~ Obviously with a bit more of an RPG slant to it.

um, think about this for a minute. these are the exact same things. all you have to do is save, quit, reload, try your option, quit, reload, etc.

taks

But you won't.... Who would quit Fallout 3 to reload on a whim?

*But also.... there have been games that were made to deliberately wait half an hour before reloading, though that was not my suggestion here.

** Its not to make it impossible to reload like that... just inconvenient enough to discourage it as a regular habit.

Edited by Gizmo

former Black Isle veteran Scott Everts is also working on the game.

Stayed at Interplay for about 13 years where I worked on over 20 games. Some of the titles I worked on there were Star Trek: 25th Anniversary, Star Trek: Judgment Rites, Stonekeep, Fallout, Fallout 2, Planescape: Torment, Icewind Dale, Icewind Dale 2, & Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 2.

After that I got a job at Obsidian Entertainment. I worked on Star Wars Knight of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords (say that 3 times fast!) doing interface design & texture cleanup on the PC and XBox version. I then worked on Neverwinter Nights 2 & its expansions Mask of the Betrayer & Storm of Zehir making maps & props. Currently I'm working on Fallout: New Vegas. It's great to be working on a new Fallout game after all these years!

Is that Puuk?

Or is Scott the guy who did a bunch of PS:T stuff?

If someone wants to quickload the heck out of a game, that is their choice. We don't need artificial barriers to alienate people because you want to game to be hardcore.

I'm not sure what the Halo-Halowars question is. These will both be RPG's, so the answer is no, I suppose. If they are using the same eging and working on a short timeline, we really shouldn't expect any drastic changes in game play.

But you won't.... Who would quit Fallout 3 to reload on a whim?

dunno, i haven't played either of the first two much (the BG mechanics spoiled me and i played them first), and probably won't play FO3. i so far like obsidian's style, so i might entertain this coming one, however, hence my posting in here.

*But also.... there have been games that were made to deliberately wait half an hour before reloading, though that was not my suggestion here.

i'd take it back.

** Its not to make it impossible to reload like that... just inconvenient enough to discourage it as a regular habit.

i think my only point is that there is no way to prevent this behavior except the milestone saving, which has its own issues when you legitimately need to quit and don't want to replay the last 20 minutes of the game. games that go out of their way to discourage certain behaviors typically don't do as well, at least not in the crpg market. it seems... wrong, anyway, to implement such things. let players do what they want. if they want to reload and get the perfect response every time, so be it. they bought the game, let 'em ruin it for themselves if they want.

taks

If someone wants to quickload the heck out of a game, that is their choice.
Indeed... as I mentioned in the post, it should be an option.

i think my only point is that there is no way to prevent this behavior except the milestone saving, which has its own issues when you legitimately need to quit and don't want to replay the last 20 minutes of the game. games that go out of their way to discourage certain behaviors typically don't do as well, at least not in the crpg market. it seems... wrong, anyway, to implement such things. let players do what they want. if they want to reload and get the perfect response every time, so be it. they bought the game, let 'em ruin it for themselves if they want.

taks

Didn't Diablo do it? It surely did not hinder its success.

(and with Diablo it wasn't optional)

Will Mark Morgan be back to compose Fallout's music?

Seconded! I too would like to know if Mark Morgan would be considered for a new set of tracks!

His stuff positively seethes with the Fallout ambiance.

http://www.markmorganmusic.com

Edited by Gizmo

do what? prevent reload for half an hour? not that i know of. you had way points as i recall. that's not really going out of your way to prevent certain behavior, though it is annoying.

taks

Plot twist! :D

Ps. A coherent world (i.e why build a settlement where there are no resources or other benefits? + trade between settlements (storywise)) and Mark Morgan as composer would be awesome.