Obsidian making Fallout: New Vegas

funcroc

Why is everyone going apesh*t? Because this will be made by Obsidian instead of Bethesda? We know nothing other than its going to be made but its already the shiznit?

Correct.

And why not? Fallout + Black Obsidian = Epic (not Megagames). Get it? Got it? Good.

Why is everyone going apesh*t? Because this will be made by Obsidian instead of Bethesda? We know nothing other than its going to be made but its already the shiznit?

How quickly they forget!

I remember Van Buren, and how amazed I was by the design docs, and how crushed I was that I'd never see it. There was an ambition in that game that I have never encountered elsewhere. I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that I would have paid a lot of money to see the Obsidz boys back behind the scenes of another Fallout game.

With all luck, we'll see some of that again.

Correct.

And why not? Fallout + Black Obsidian = Epic (not Megagames). Get it? Got it? Good.

Ok, just making sure I was on the right page. With everyone slathering up the joint I couldnt help but feel like I was missing some between-the-lines information instead of just a vague notification of a game being made in the future. Personally, I was more extited about the possibilitu of a new IP and not a different spin on the same stuff released less then a year ago and still receiving DLC. Im sure it will be "much different" and exactly what FO3 was "supposed to be".

Correct.

Ok, just making sure I was on the right page. With everyone slathering up the joint I couldnt help but feel like I was missing some between-the-lines information instead of just a vague notification of a game being made in the future. Personally, I was more extited about the possibilitu of a new IP and not a different spin on the same stuff released less then a year ago and still receiving DLC. Im sure it will be "much different" and exactly what FO3 was "supposed to be".

If it's any consolation, Obsidian is still working on 1 or 2 other projects we don't know about.

<-- New (somewhat) avatar for the first time in 5 years.

I felt inspired.

ALthough.. It doesn't seem to work for me..? Odd.

Edited by mkreku

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I felt inspired.

ALthough.. It doesn't seem to work for me..? Odd.

Ctrl+F5

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Please, please, please, please include melee and unarmed combat that doesn't completely suck. Please.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I really hope that this turns out like KOTOR, only without the publisher censoring and rushing. Sure Fallout 3's engine and combat are horrible, but so was KOTOR's and look at the gem they produced then.

As much as I HATED combat in FO3, and would love to see turn based (or at least stat based) combat in this game, I reccomend Obsidian sticks with the **** combat and engine, and just focuses on story. The company needs to turn out a game where the story and characterization is not hampered by bugs and poor engine optimization. Of all of FO3's faults, the writing was the worst, and it is the one that Obsidian can fix with the least effort, and the least chance of breaking anything. I mean, you guys could probably write a better story in your sleep than the horror that was FO3.

Edited by Gorth
Hey, no cheating the word filter...

I don't think anyone thought Fallout 3 was perfect. This is why I want an official Fallout: New Vegas forum to open up soon, so we can start naming the things WE would want Obsidian to take a closer look at. I mean, I agree with all these complaints about melee combat, stilted animations, too stare-y talking heads, too crowded wasteland, too few dialogue options, not enough choice & consequence from quests and so on and so forth. The good thing is that none of those flaws are impossible to change (except perhaps melee combat, not sure how much control Obsidian will have over that)!

I still think Beth tech + Obs writing is a perfect match.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Whoa. Uh. Cool. I think?

Would prefer Onyx engine with a proper ruleset, but I may have to re-evaluate my opinion of Bethesda.

An engine change would also mean we'd have to wait 18-24 month more. No thanks, using the Fallout 3 engine has been a smart (and the obvious) decision.

You might want to rethink that post. Onyx is already built. Granted, the art assets from FO3 may cut about 6 months off development time (not to mention costs).

Oh I'd say it's likely to be 12-18 months... Depends what engine they use, I hope they go with Onyx.

Edited by Nightshape

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Wow. I'm amazed. I really thought this would be a bit of good news for Obsidian. But it seems that some people here can complain about anything, even getting the chance to have a crack at their old franchise again. :* I personally was pleased to hear this.

As far as what the Oblivion-engine was capable of, I really wish people would check what the mod community did before they ASSUME that the generic faces were all the engine was. Taking 5 mins will show that simply wasn't true. Rather, it's part of BethSoft's assumption that players want "realistic" (ugly) looking faces in games. The mod community has accounted for that error before. As far as the combat system goes, I'd really rather they focus on story/setting and getting the most out of what they can in the current time rather than tweaking architecture.

Regardless, I'm happy for Obsidian, and look forward to seeing this released.

Wow. I'm amazed. I really thought this would be a bit of good news for Obsidian. But it seems that some people here can complain about anything, even getting the chance to have a crack at their old franchise again. :* I personally was pleased to hear this.

If you're on this forum you probably think about your games a lot, and people who think a lot tend to be critical, even about things that they love. It's just in their nature. We'll all be buying the game.