Mafia II

Purkake

I'm sure at least some of you have played Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven if you haven't look it up, it's pretty good. Mafia is pretty much GTA set in the 1930s with an actual story and less random violence.

So anyway this thread is about it's sequel Mafia II, coming (hopefully) this fall for PC, 360 and PS3. They have just released the first gameplay video and it looks pretty good.

Mafia was a superior game to Godfather, and since Godfather 2 isnt exactly a top notch game, I think Mafia 2 will be the top dog yet again. I tried GF2 for a couple of hours and I didnt like it at all. Dated graphics, awkward controls and uninteresting storyline. Its not at all like GTA4 vs. Saints Row 2, where SR2 is a fun game in its own right as a less serious GTA.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Didn't Godfather 2 just come out? Aren't they terribly similar?

Godfather 2 is pretty much a movie license game. It also has some strategy stuff.

Mafia is a GTA-style open-world game.

Godfather 1 was a GTA of the 50's basically... Godfather 2 went WAY downhill.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I remember enjoying the combat in the demo, but thought the driving felt stiff (or something) compared to GTA3. When I got to briefly try the full game years later I recall some taxi mission at the start that put me off completely.

Some of the driving stuff can be annoying, but that's pretty much the same in every GTA. You will luckily get better cars pretty soon.

I remember enjoying the combat in the demo, but thought the driving felt stiff (or something) compared to GTA3. When I got to briefly try the full game years later I recall some taxi mission at the start that put me off completely.

Some of the driving stuff can be annoying, but that's pretty much the same in every GTA. You will luckily get better cars pretty soon.

I've played it! Great story, but the driving, while probably realistic, wasn't much fun...

I'm really stoked about this. Yes, in many ways the gameplay looks like a period version of GTA4, but what made the original game stand out was the story. Derivative gameplay plus an awesome story is still awesome in my book.

Also, they have some sweet-looking CQC.

I really liked the orignial game - and I'm not a big fan of the gangster genre..

As long as they, at the very least, bring back the musical brilliance of Django Reinhardt it can't be all bad.

Fortune favors the bald.

It's the story that stands out for me as well, especially the very end, didn't see that coming. They really managed to capture that mafia movie vibe.

I almost gave up on the game during the racing mission, it was pretty horrible, but I'm glad that I didn't.

It's also interesting that Mafia did the shoot-out-of-car-windows and shoot-the-tires things before GTA. They also kept the persistent world, so if you slash the bad guy's getaway car tires they will stat slashed when he escapes in the mission. That kind of stuff really helps with immersion, even GTA 4 didn't manage to do that...

I'm looking forward to this. Judging from interviews as well as some trailer stuff shown, I think the guys have a pretty good grip on the design of the game. It feels like they've really thought stuff through which is more than I can say for most game developers.

Still, two things. While it will still be there in some respect, I don't like that they're toning down some of the "realistic" aspects. I think having to control your speed limit, not driving against red lights and stuff like that worked excellently in Mafia 1. Normally I'll take gameplay over realism any day of the week, but I really feel the realism of Mafia 1 really contributed greatly to the games great feel and atmosphere.

And secondly, I must say I'm not crazy about having it set in the 40s and 50s. That's subjective though, I've just always really adored the 20s and 30s, and again... Mafia 1 brought that to life via great music (Django like someone mentioned above) as well as the cars. I loved the driving in Mafia 1 where you had these classic, rather slow car chases and stuff.

It does look great though. I think it has all the potential in the world to become a classic.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I'm looking forward to this. Judging from interviews as well as some trailer stuff shown, I think the guys have a pretty good grip on the design of the game. It feels like they've really thought stuff through which is more than I can say for most game developers.

Still, two things. While it will still be there in some respect, I don't like that they're toning down some of the "realistic" aspects. I think having to control your speed limit, not driving against red lights and stuff like that worked excellently in Mafia 1. Normally I'll take gameplay over realism any day of the week, but I really feel the realism of Mafia 1 really contributed greatly to the games great feel and atmosphere.

And secondly, I must say I'm not crazy about having it set in the 40s and 50s. That's subjective though, I've just always really adored the 20s and 30s, and again... Mafia 1 brought that to life via great music (Django like someone mentioned above) as well as the cars. I loved the driving in Mafia 1 where you had these classic, rather slow car chases and stuff.

It does look great though. I think it has all the potential in the world to become a classic.

I also like the 20s/30s way more with the prohibition and all that, but 40s and 50s have a lot of potential too. The skyscraper stuff looks pretty cool in the gameplay trailer.

The speed limit and red light stuff did nothing for me, I just used the auto speed limiter. I did really like the ability to switch gears manually with the clutch and everything. It was also nice that you couldn't just run around with a gun out all the time.

Edited by Purkake

It was certainly realistic that you would have an endless police chase because of a simple speeding crime.

Here's a quote:

Rock Paper Shotgun Preview:

Mafia
sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

• 1 month later...

is that the game with the impossible race track mission? **** I nearly put a hole through my monitor playing that mission over and over again. Beat it eventually but god that was bull****. Also there was a speed limit in the city you couldn't exceed.

Edited by EUIX

"For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretences- either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed; and in return we hope that you, instead of thinking to influence us by saying that you did not join the Lacedaemonians, although their colonists, or that you have done us no wrong, will aim at what is feasible, holding in view the real sentiments of us both; since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."

is that the game with the impossible race track mission? **** I nearly put a hole through my monitor playing that mission over and over again. Beat it eventually but god that was bull****. Also there was a speed limit in the city you couldn't exceed.

Yeah, that's the one. The racing mission was near impossible and you also had to get the car there in time without damaging it. The story was really awesome with a great ending.

Yeah, that's the one. The racing mission was near impossible and you also had to get the car there in time without damaging it. The story was really awesome with a great ending.

They did release a patch that made it considerably easier though.. and you could drive faster than the speedlimit, but then cops would give you a ticket if they caught you (or try to arrest you if you tried to escape them).

Fortune favors the bald.

They did release a patch that made it considerably easier though.. and you could drive faster than the speedlimit, but then cops would give you a ticket if they caught you (or try to arrest you if you tried to escape them).

It used to be even worse? Good thing I patched it then.

• 3 months later...