Viability of not killing opponents?

anyone know if it's even possible to complete a level or levels without killing the opposition? or taking it a step further how about completing a level or levels without even firing a weapon, would make for some pretty challenging achievements and would also be well suited to anyone wanting to play as the fresh and idealistic recruit with a strong moral conscience.

Somebody has pinched screenshots from the trailer showing tranq rounds, and I think it was mentioned earlier that you have the option of lethal or non-lethal close combat. I don't know if you'd be able to go through the game without firing a weapon, but that'd be kinda cool.

Once these enemies are killed/put to sleep will their corpses/sleeping bodies disappear?

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

• 2 weeks later...
Once these enemies are killed/put to sleep will their corpses/sleeping bodies disappear?

I imagine it's similar to Mass Effect in that regard, where a "Disabled" opponent would disappear just like a dead one.

I have zero proof to back that up though.

• 2 weeks later...

You have lethal and nonlethal ways to incapacitate opponents. In some cases you might want to avoid killing "hostile" forces, such as when you're sneaking past innocent(ish) security guards or cops. (You can kill them if you like, but your handlers might not approve, and might wind up disliking you because of it.) Or you might just want to be a pacifist spy. So we try to let people do that when feasible, but I don't think you can get through the entire game without ever firing a weapon.

Matthew Rorie

• 3 weeks later...
You have lethal and nonlethal ways to incapacitate opponents. In some cases you might want to avoid killing "hostile" forces, such as when you're sneaking past innocent(ish) security guards or cops. (You can kill them if you like, but your handlers might not approve, and might wind up disliking you because of it.) Or you might just want to be a pacifist spy. So we try to let people do that when feasible, but I don't think you can get through the entire game without ever firing a weapon.

I will now buy this game.

That's one of the main things from Deus Ex I was hoping you'd emulate/improve.

Doesn't sound like there are sophisticated detection/alarm systems in place though (knock out the doorman, you're fine at first but when the next shift comes around they notice and start looking, etc). Not too surprised, since this ain't Thief 4, but at least it sounds like stealthy approaches are thought about well. :)

Probably, I meant a sophisticated system for guards that not just detect YOU (and things you touch) but one of their own missing and so forth ('secondary' evidence, deduction). I'm just guessing but if something like that was in, you wouldn't expect Rorie's answer to so completely omit that kind of feature.

Probably, I meant a sophisticated system for guards that not just detect YOU (and things you touch) but one of their own missing and so forth ('secondary' evidence, deduction). I'm just guessing but if something like that was in, you wouldn't expect Rorie's answer to so completely omit that kind of feature.

Hmm. Well he did mention he's being careful to limit what features he exposes.

Personally since the game isn't a Stealther I kind of prefer they omit 'advanced' stealth. It complicates the game too much to the point of annoy-ment. Or at least I suspect it would. Deus Ex level stealth seems like a good balance.

the real question we're all afraid to ask:

will this game be as good as Deus Ex?

(answer = no, but maybe someday we'll have something close...)

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Actually, I don't care. DX is DX and AP is AP. Even if AP won't be perfection made manifest, I know what to expect from an Obs game, and really really really doubt that I'll be disappointed. Especially if Sega lets them finish the f-ing game.

Actually, I don't care. DX is DX and AP is AP. Even if AP won't be perfection made manifest, I know what to expect from an Obs game, and really really really doubt that I'll be disappointed. Especially if Sega lets them finish the f-ing game.

Indeed. Though I also wouldn't shed any tears if AP were a DX clone. In fact, I'd be deliriously happy. But I know Obsidian is dying to make their own mark and would like to avoid their flagship game being called a clone if at all possible.

Edited by Krezack

I hate to bring this up again, but CQC would be alot more viable as a nonlethal way of dispatching opponents if we had the ability to disarm them...

Edited by Fearless_Jedi

"Some people are always trying to iceskate uphill."

Blade(Wesley Snipes) from the movie Blade.

Edited for content

"The first human who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization." - Sigmund Freud

Why disarm them when you K.O. them anyway?

Lets assume you can't sneak up behind every enemy in the game.

Edited for content

"The first human who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization." - Sigmund Freud

Query: Have you played Oni? Get close to them and they won't have a chance to shoot at you.

Granted, Oni had disarming as well, but the ammo system pretty much forced you to use it.

I have yet to play Oni, however if ammo is unlimited then the need for disarms seems paramount.

Edited for content

There's no disarming in AP. There are ways to get close to an enemy without having them fire at you, though, such as using cover to advance on them, stealthing up behind them, using a noisemaker to lure them close to you before taking them out, using a flashbang to temporarily blind them (the new flashbang effect is pretty rad), or just waiting for them to reload before charging them. Or loading up on armor mods to increase the amount of damage you can shrug off. Or catching the bullets they throw at you, using your Elemental Magic powers to form them into a ball of primal embers, then invoking the power of Su'Ra, the Sun God, to repel them backwards at your foes.

One of those things is not something you can actually do.

Matthew Rorie