TV: Caprica

Kaftan Barlast

I just saw the pilot and I have to say that its more or less exactly what I feared/expected. Its not like they've taken the fun out of BSG, they havent taken ANYTHING from BSG. The two shows have only superficial similarities, and this is not a good thing. The story is not that interesting, the cast is not good(awful teenage actors), the attempts at moral and ethical dilemmas are all old chestnuts and its chock full of really distasteful religious crap. But its not actually bad, just mediocre.

I think they should have moved on to a new thing instead of trying to milk BSG with something as uninteresting as this.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

1. How did you see the pilot

and

2. I figured.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I thought had aired in the US already? Well, you havent missed anything. Unless you're one of those people who love Joss Wheedon, then you'll probably enjoy Caprica.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I generally hate prequels and BSG seasons 3 and 4 left me feeling apathetic to the BSG universe so meh.

It's not so much a prequel as it is a spinoff and a soapy drama spinoff at that. (From what I have heard)

"The Plan" will be the real prequel, explaining what the Cylons and Cavil were doing while Galactica was doing it's own thing.

Thing is, Caprica doesnt look or feel anything like BSG. It might aswell be something completely different from another creator in another universe. I dont even think it was mad to appeal to BSG fans in the first place. My first thought was "Aw frack.. not another O.C but set in the future"

..and the "not like BSG" thing is a bad thing, btw.

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

Man BSG would have been the bees knees if they had just stuck to the feature length specials.

No serious show in the history of mankind has ever survived the arthritis of a complicated plot stretching into a 3rd and 4th season unscathed. BSG was no different.

I didn't particularly care about the show's intent to be controversial all the time except when it helped the story. Caprica sounds like more social commentary and less action, on a smaller budget, with worse actors.

I could care less.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Man BSG would have been the bees knees if they had just stuck to the feature length specials.

No serious show in the history of mankind has ever survived the arthritis of a complicated plot stretching into a 3rd and 4th season unscathed. BSG was no different.

I didn't particularly care about the show's intent to be controversial all the time except when it helped the story. Caprica sounds like more social commentary and less action, on a smaller budget, with worse actors.

I could care less.

Lost is doing pretty well on it's 5th season. I think the problem was less with the length and more with making it up as they went along.

I just saw the pilot and I have to say that its more or less exactly what I feared/expected. Its not like they've taken the fun out of BSG, they haven't taken ANYTHING from BSG. The two shows have only superficial similarities, and this is not a good thing. The story is not that interesting, the cast is not good(awful teenage actors), the attempts at moral and ethical dilemmas are all old chestnuts and its chock full of really distasteful religious crap. But its not actually bad, just mediocre.

I think they should have moved on to a new thing instead of trying to milk BSG with something as uninteresting as this.

Since this is a SyFy Channel show, I'm starting to fear for "Stargate: Universe". After watching the last episode of "Battlestar Gallactica", I could only imagine how it's sequel will change things. Outside of the 90210 similarity, what other show does it mirror?

The End

I generally hate prequels and BSG seasons 3 and 4 left me feeling apathetic to the BSG universe so meh.

It's not so much a prequel as it is a spinoff and a soapy drama spinoff at that. (From what I have heard)

"The Plan" will be the real prequel, explaining what the Cylons and Cavil were doing while Galactica was doing it's own thing.

Heh, "The Plan" is also written by Jane Espensen, a writer who wrote some of the worst episodes in BSG (like Deadlock). Besides, even if it is wonderfully done, the BSG ending pretty much killed most of the appeal of the show (i.e. all of the juiciest mysteries are basically just done by an unknown supernatural entity who doesn't like to be refered as God - biggest Deux Ex Machina ever).

Heh, "The Plan" is also written by Jane Espensen, a writer who wrote some of the worst episodes in BSG (like Deadlock). Besides, even if it is wonderfully done, the BSG ending pretty much killed most of the appeal of the show (i.e. all of the juiciest mysteries are basically just done by an unknown supernatural entity who doesn't like to be refered as God - biggest Deux Ex Machina ever).

Oh, I agree 100% I wasn't trying to defend it. BSG is pretty much dead to me, I even don't know if I can bring myself to watch The Plan.

I was just pointing out that The Plan is the actual prequel instead of Caprica.