KOTOR2 Critical Error Right after Character Creation

Hello all,

I've recently been trying to get KOTOR2 to run on an older laptop that I had lying around, however, right after Character creation the game will start playing the initial intro with the scrolling text, but right after that will throw a critical error and quit. If I look at Event Viewer I see "Faulting application swkotor2.exe, version 2.1.0.0, faulting module unkown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000000.

I've read through a ton of posts on this forum already and have tried all the suggestions I could find but I can't seem to get it going.

I'm running Windows XP with all the latest patches and the latest version of my Graphics Card drivers from the manufacturer's site. (Intel's drivers won't install, throwing an error saying I must use the manufacturer's drivers). I have a feeling the issue is related to my Graphics Card, an Intel Mobile 965. I've tried using 3d Analyze to "fake" the hardware TnL but that just quits after character creation as well. (Though doesn't throw an error).

I have KOTOR 1 running on this laptop with no issues and a pretty decent frame rate, I've heard they are remarkably similar but everything I've tried doesn't seem to work for KOTOR2.

Anyone have any off the wall ideas that I could try? I'd really love to be able to play both game on this laptop.

Thanks in advance either way,

Iskondi

Have you updated the game to the latest version? It is a must! I have a very similar intel card, so the game should probably work. With regards to the drivers, you probably need to install them manually. My Dell laptop is a bit like that.

Download the .exe of the drivers you want to install and rather than double-click it, right-click and select to extract all of the files in a folder on your desktop. The you need to open your device manager (through system properties), click on 'display adapters' and double click on your card. Select the 'driver' tab and then 'update driver...' It will ask for Windows to connect to Windows Update to search for software. Click 'No, not this time'. Then select 'Install from a list or specific location (advanced) and on then 'Don't search, I will choose the driver to install'. On the next page click 'Have Disk...' and it will prompt you to locate a .inf file (igxp32.inf). You will find that in the 'graphics' subfolder of the driver on your desktop. Select it and then it will install.

Huh I hadn't thought of extracting the drivers like that! (Duh right?) The game was already updated to the latest version, I even tried the unofficial "patch" in my desperation to see if it would help. *Sigh* Are you playing off your original CDs or using the no-cd mod? I like the convenience of not having tot mess with CDs but if that's not how you're getting it going I'll try anything.

I've just uninstalled the game and I'm going to get my hard drive all defragged, get those drivers installed and then reinstall it from scratch, repatch it, and give it another go.

Thanks for your response!

Iskondi

You can read what it "contains". I know nothing about it other then it was "supposed" to add additional fixes/better graphics.

I wouldn't use it seeing as it is, at best, dubious seeing as it looks like a collection of other mods that does not credit the original authors - but that's just me. :-

Edited by Deadly_Nightshade

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I had installed it in the hope that it might lend me some assistance to getting the game to run. It didn't. When I uninstalled and reinstalled the game I left it off, but I'm still in the same boat. *Sigh* It's a shame, I'd hoped this laptop could pull it off. Still pulling for a miracle!

Iskondi

Actually, the 'no-cd' patch (which really is a crack, therefore not suitable to discuss here since that is illegal) will cause the very crashing problem you mention. So unless you play the game with the original discs, it ain't going to work. The 'no-cd' patch is not the latest version of the game, which is required in order to get the game to run with your card. Mounting ISOs doesn't work either. I tried myself when my Play disc got smashed, but the only workaround was getting a new disc.

...since that is illegal...

Incorrect or, at the least, debatable. Although this is not the time or place to talk about that - this forum does not like talking about such things, due to piracy concerns, and thus cannot help with those issues.

Edited by Deadly_Nightshade

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

When I first installed the game I ran into the "Wrong Disk" error which is what I'm working to resolve now, with the original game disk in the drive whenever I try and start the game I'm running into the "Wrong Disk" error. I'm going to try a clean uninstall/registry clean/reinstall.

Thanks for all the assistance guys,

Iskondi

Ug even from the original disks, reinstalled from scratch I still get the "Wrong disk inserted." error. At this point I'm hoping it's a bad disk, and since I just picked it up from Bestbuy I'm going to try a new set and see if that helps me out.

Thanks for all the pointers/tips guys,

Iskondi

If it is a SecuROM error would a new set of disks fix it or are we talking rebuild to clean everything out? I do have my "original" image for my system so I could reimage it from the ground up if you think that might provide me with a cure without having Bestbuy swap my disks out?

Or if you think the disk swap won't fix the issue and I should try that first...

Thanks!

Iskondi

I decided to just say screw it and reimage the damn thing. It's 100% clean and then I'll load it with a totally new set of disks and see what I run into.

Hopefully it'll play right off the disk and then I'll know. I'll post soon as I have some results.

Thanks,

Iskondi

As far as I'm aware, mounting images of the CDs with stuff like Daemon Tools will conflict with the SecuROM disc protection, giving you that error. Don't think there is away around that.

Edited by refuse

I've no plans on mounting anything with Daemon tools. I'd run into the glitch prior to trying any mounting with Daemon tools, though Daemon Tools was installed. Once I ran into the issue then I tried various work arounds none of which seemed to have any affect so NOW I'm starting from a 100% clean system where Daemon Tools has NEVER been installed and with a 100% new set of Disks. (I'm exchanging at Best Buy tonight.)

If that doesn't solve the issue then I'm buggered.

Iskondi

Alrighty! Last night I picked up my new set of KOTOR 2 Disks. Installed the game from them and DIDN'T get the "Wrong Disk" error. However I had EXACTLY the same glitch when I tried to run the game. >_<((

However, I hadn't updated yet. Applied the update and VOILA! The Game is running like a champ now. I didn't play it a whole lot last night but it FINALLY got through the opening movies and allowed me move around! WOO HOO!!!

Thanks to all for your assistance it was greatly appreciated.

And for anyone that may find this thread in the future, I am running an HP (Compaq) Laptop model 2510p with the intel mobile 965 chipset with Windows XP Updated to the latest and with the latest version of Direct X. I am also running the latest version of the intel chipset and video drivers from intel's home page and I DID have to install them the way that Refuse specified near the beginning of my post.

My Video card absolutely doesn't have hardware tiling and lighting (TnL) and worked just fine without it and without the need to use 3d Analyze. (Though believe me you I did try it when it wasn't working!!!)

Thanks to all and woo freaking hoo,

Iskondi