Braid

Morgoth

World of Goo is guilty of crimes against humanity for spawning an entire generation of boring physics-puzzle games. A lot of them being made by friends of mine.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I loved Braid. I hadn't felt that satisfied by a puzzle game since Chip's Challenge.

Is there new stuff in the PC version? I played it as an XBLA game.

Braid seems nice, from what I played of the demo, but it doesn't, in any way, compare to the perfection that was Chip's Challenge.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I loved Braid. I hadn't felt that satisfied by a puzzle game since Chip's Challenge.

Is there new stuff in the PC version? I played it as an XBLA game.

Braid seems nice, from what I played of the demo, but it doesn't, in any way, compare to the perfection that was Chip's Challenge.

Chip's challenge was awesome, it's right up there with Supaplex on the awesome puzzle games chart.

Why don't you blame your friends instead of a poor innocent game, Kaftan? If they don't make them as good as World of Goo, it's their fault, not WoG's.

Portal was a good game with bucketloads of charm, or whatever you might call it. But the storm of praise it got was sheer, unfounded mass-psychosis.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

As I said in another thread, Portal is really good at what it does. It's a cute quirky puzzle game with an interesting mechanic(Portals) that tells the story of a lonely AI stuck in an underground complex. It's not trying to be anything more and it has been polished to a mirror finish.

I don't think anyone(save a few raving madmen) is saying that it is the best game ever, it's just a shiny gem in a sea of uniform gray/brown shooters. It's different, it's quirky and it's fun.

It's kind of like the Dr. Horrible of videogames.

I would recommend anyone thinking about shelling out the big bucks for Braid, to look into what is possibly the greatest indie game ever made: Enviro-Bear 2000: Operation: Hibernation. Its completely free and you will get an enormous amount of indie-cred to impress your friends with. It really makes you wonder why we should put up with paying up to €50 for a so-called "real" game, when you can have this for free.

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

I quite enjoyed Portal. It was mainly the hype around it that was disgusting.

It's probably the same with Braid. I probably would derive some enjoyment out of it if I got it. The difference, I guess, is that it seemed like pretentious garbage from the demo.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

I quite enjoyed Portal. It was mainly the hype around it that was disgusting.

It's probably the same with Braid. I probably would derive some enjoyment out of it if I got it. The difference, I guess, is that it seemed like pretentious garbage from the demo.

No game can ever live up to the hype. At least Portal had something to it, the Bioshock hype was disgusting IMO. Still, it's not the game's fault that the hype gets overwhelming, it's the crazy fanboys, the press and marketing people.

You don't find it a bit refreshing that a game can be made without a huge team of a hundred artists and developers, millions of dollars in advertising, and a stifling big brother publisher laying in wait?

No, I played Transport Tycoon.

EDIT:

hahahaha, love it.

Edited by Nick_i_am

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Personally, considering about every game released these days is too easy, easy games can go and take a running jump in the lake. Puzzle games are supposed to be hard and much of the satisfaction comes from beating that challenge.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I'll echo Hurlshot-- I was glad that Portal was easy enough to get through without too much experimentation and frustration, largely because it gave me motion sickness. All those momentary feelings of "which way is up?" threw my stomach for loops whenever I played for more than an hour or so. Fortunately, it was clever enough to be worthwhile in spite of this (and short enough to finish in a series of small doses).

I'm officially curious about Braid. I might download it if I get particularly bored later in the week.

Edited by Enoch

I'll echo Hurlshot-- I was glad that Portal was easy enough to get through without too much experimentation and frustration, largely because it gave me motion sickness. All those momentary feelings of "which way is up?" threw my stomach for loops whenever I played for more than an hour or so. Fortunately, it was clever enough to be worthwhile in spite of this (and short enough to finish in a series of small doses).

I'm officially curious about Braid. I might download it if I get particularly bored later in the week.

If Portal made you go "which way is up", then Alien vs Predator 2 with alien will make your head asplode.

Maybe everyone who bought it is in deep though, pondering over Braid's deep meaning...

Umm, so did anyone actually play it? Is it good?

Also here's a detailed analysis that compared the story of Braid to the

discovery of the atomic bomb

And this is why I didn't like the epilogue. As mentioned on that page, you have a story about

a relationship breaking down due to one person

Umm, so did anyone actually play it? Is it good?

Also here's a detailed analysis that compared the story of Braid to the

discovery of the atomic bomb

And this is why I didn't like the epilogue. As mentioned on that page, you have a story about

a relationship breaking down due to one person’s obsession

, and then you play the epilogue and it's all like

OH HI GUYS IT'S ACTUALLY ABOUT THE ATOM BOMB CLEVER HUH?

Yeah, I think he might have gone a bit too far with the art and different interpretations thing. I like stuff that makes sense in the end.

Edited by Purkake

I like stuff that makes sense in the end.

It all makes sense, I was just disappointed. That's why I compared it to Donnie Darko. You watch the film and you have your own interpretation and all's right with the world, it was a great experience. Then you watch the directors cut which apparently attempts to give an official explanation but the creators interpretation is kind of a let down and you're left with a sour taste. "Really, that's what it's supposed to be about? Whatever dude."

That thread you linked to had a message from the creator stating he doesn't comment on what the game is "about", because it's not his role, but there really isn't much room for interpretation when the epilogue pretty much spells it out for you. Imagine reading and enjoying a novel, and then in the last few pages the writer talks directly to the reader and explains how the events of the story were actually a metaphor for blah blah blah.... Which is why I recommend not bothering with the epilogue.

Of course loads of people play the epilogue, declare the creator a genius and then go back and analysis every bit of the game to see how it fits in with the "official" interpretation, so maybe that's more your thing. Alternatively ignore the story stuff and play it just for the puzzles.

Edited by Hell Kitty