Riddick: AoDA

I know there were some people excited about this game on the forums, myself among them. Turns out that Gamestop has slipped the release date in the US, and most of their locations have it now (about a week early).

So far I'm just revisiting Butcher Bay, which is still one kick-ass game. They made some minor tweaks with the melee counters and the lean function that seem superficial, yet I feel add a lot to the gameplay itself. I can't say I noticed a huge graphical difference, but the original game looked pretty good on PC to begin with.

Rumor is that the new content is not quite at the same level of Butcher Bay, but I know from the 360 demo that you at least get to play with the Ulaks, which are some pretty cool melee weapons. My initial impression from the demo was that the setting and story won't be as compelling, but the gameplay should remain pretty much intact for the add-on.

Starbreeze are very nice and very talented people, but the whole Vin Diesel in space setting is completely unappealing and uninteresting. Still, there could be a real game hiding in there so Ill take a chance and get it.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

They reviewed it in a Swedish magazine and complained that it was only 5 hours long (the new bits) and that the graphics looks dated. Otherwise it's the action game of the spring. Or something like that.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

..only 5 hours long (the new bits)..

I thought the game was a complete remake? Or is it "butcher bay" with an addon?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Will the publishers never learn???

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/04...stall-limit.ars

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Thats increadibly stupid. Professional software like Photoshop or 3ds MAX have limited installs in relation to the number of computers you can have it installed on at the same time, but you can install it an unlimited number of times.

Im confused. Isnt AoDA the same as the examples you just gave?

"The protection on the PC version of The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena is an activation system with online authentication required the first time you install the game on a machine," they explained. "The activation code lets you install the game on up to 3 machines, with an unlimited number of installs on each assuming that you don

So this is the second reincarnation of the same game, meaning it's the third version of the same game that originally was an Xbox exclusive five years ago. I love the game, and the new implementations looks spectacular - but is it worth paying full retail to ultimately be playing the same game? Not hardly. That's disappointing. Ah well, I was planning on reinstalling Butcher Bay soon anyway.

Im confused. Isnt AoDA the same as the examples you just gave?

"The protection on the PC version of The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena is an activation system with online authentication required the first time you install the game on a machine," they explained. "The activation code lets you install the game on up to 3 machines, with an unlimited number of installs on each assuming that you don

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

With Photoshop etc. it doesnt matter if you change your hardware or whatever. You can have it installed on 2 separate machines at any time. So if you reinstall windows, you just reinstall photoshop and it works. Change your hardware, doesnt matter still works. You have unlimited installs, you just cant install it on more than 2 computers at the same time.

With this DRM, you run out of installs sooner or later. And when atari shuts down the support in a year or two, you wont be able to install it at all.

Dark Athena takes place immediately after Butcher Bay I've read.

If you really want to play a Riddick game I would just go out and get the first one. The graphics are pretty good and the gameplay is solid. With all this Securom nonsense around this latest release, its not worth the money or time to buy a remake of Butcher Bay with a 5-6 hour add-on game.

Or just rent it if you have a console.

Crap. I bought this game before realising there is a stupid DRM implementation for the game.

Geezus, what a bonehead. If I've known, I wouldn't have bought the game.

Yeah, you'd think that they would learn something from the Spore debacle...

3 install limit is two less than Bioshock...

Crap. I bought this game before realising there is a stupid DRM implementation for the game.

Geezus, what a bonehead. If I've known, I wouldn't have bought the game.

Yeah, you'd think that they would learn something from the Spore debacle...

3 install limit is two less than Bioshock...

I think it means you can only install it at 3 different PCs, while you can install it as often as you want on the same PC.

Anyway, I haven't played Butcher bay, but I quite enjoyed the Dark Athena demo so there's at least for me some appeal to fork out the money. I could also get the Original Butcher Bay, but hey, that's all outdated and so last generation...

I think it means you can only install it at 3 different PCs, while you can install it as often as you want on the same PC.

No, if you reinstall windows or upgrade your hardware you will lose one installation permanently. This is contrast to professional software DRM, where you have can install on two or three different computers at the same time, but you have unlimited installs. You can never run out of installs for 3ds Max for example.

• 2 weeks later...

Been playing this for a while and I enjoy it very much. In fact, I enjoy DArk Athena more then Butcher's Bay. The voice acting of the cast is superb, sticking knifes into drones heads never gets old, and just the overall hiding-sneaking-attacking mechanics works very well. And Riddick is just a well done badass. Neither Sheppard nor Marucs Fenix come close to his badassness.

I actually liked Butcher Bay more than Dark Athena, but Dark Athena was good. DA had too many forced fights and not enough interesting little gimmick sequences. And that entire sequence around the gravity generator was annoying as heck.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Oh yeah, I forgot to post that I played it through and liked it. I thought the Dark Athena segment was pretty good, and in some ways had a much darker tone than the second movie. My only complaint is that Johns basically disappears. They could, however, make it up to me by doing a spinoff where you get to play him :)