Installing Ubuntu

Gorgon

Concerning ext4: It'll probably not be the default FS even for 9.10, see Linus Torvalds' amusing rant about the strange decisions that made it into the FS...

Shuttleworth said it would be, but there's plenty of time for that to change.

Now, you could have provided a link instead of making me trawl Google. :(

Linus Torvalds, Ted Ts'o, Alan Cox, Ingo Molnar, Andrew Morton and other Linux kernel developers are embroiled in a contentious discussion over the sense--or nonsense--of journaling and delayed allocation before a commit in the ext3 and ext4 filesystems. Heavy words are flying.

Eh, so what's the gist of it samm?

Is this perhaps what you refer to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext4#Caveats

I didn't have a link because I read it earlier that day not on my PC :) Yes, it was concerning delayed allocations, and writing out metadata first pointing to data that hasn't been written yet. Which I agree with Linus is a complete BS idea. Every crash will result not only in lost data, but seemingly available data and wasted space etc.

The amusing part was Linus' choice of words which was rather direct. Maybe it's somewhere here: http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/811167/

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Well there's your problem.

any OS that is more user friendly is necessarily less powerful. i don't use linux to play games or have fun. i use linux to develop signal processing systems. at one point red hat was the only NSA approved linux distribution for carrying out the types of missions i'm interested in (and fedora/red hat are essentially the same minus support).

taks

We do embedded development and use mostly Debian/Ubuntu and their variants. Though only as a development host, target is a custom Linux-based system (on ARM and PowerPC). We could use any other distro, because it does not really matter what development host is, as long as the tools are available.

So, I am not quite following your logic, please elaborate. Because I fail to see any significant difference in the guts of both systems. As far as I'm concerned, it's all the same tools, kernel, libraries and GUI toolkits (sans SELinux). How Red-Hat more powerful and why does your work necessarily require it? Are you saying you are using it as a target system, rather than host? Is there any other reason except commercial tools support requiring it?

So, I am not quite following your logic, please elaborate.

do you know what the NSA is?

Is there any other reason except commercial tools support requiring it?

i listed several reasons, which you would have noticed if you bothered to read all my posts, including the one in your quote from me you didn't even mention. i never said red hat was more powerful, btw.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

do you know what the NSA is?

NSA introduced SELinux, which Read Hat ships with by default. Of course they approve it! But I do rely blindly on the opinion of such organizations.

i listed several reasons, which you would have noticed if you bothered to read all my posts, including the one in your quote from me you didn't even mention.

Sorry, you are right. I did not read some of your posts. So, in the end, that's tools support and PowerPC support? (NSA endorsement count for zero points, if not adding negative points :thumbsup:)

i never said red hat was more powerful, btw.

It certainly seemed this way from the way you structure your posts, glad we cleared that up. But I'd like to add, that, contrary to your experience, Debian-based distros may appeal to embedded programmers. :)

NSA endorsement count for zero points, if not adding negative points :)

it really had nothing to do with an NSA "endorsement," it was a requirement. i have no idea if that is still a requirement for certain programs or not.

since fedora makes changes upstream, btw, i.e., there are no "fedora only" modifications, that means fedora (and RH by default) had what i needed when i first learned linux. as a result, that's what i use.

It certainly seemed this way from the way you structure your posts, glad we cleared that up. But I'd like to add, that, contrary to your experience, Debian-based distros may appeal to embedded programmers. :)

actually, a more accurate assessment (from me) would be that embedded developers will use what is familiar to them, and every experience i've had has involved RH or fedora. in the beginning, RH/fedora-based systems were what i was using, so that's what i have stayed with. what actually goes ONTO your system will likely be not a whole lot more than the kernel anyway, e.g., who needs a desktop when all of your visibility is through a terminal? i have heard about a lot of people using debian, btw, but nobody i know. the guy i work with now that favors gentoo is almost a pariah in my eyes. i curse him regularly. to his face (not really, but gentoo causes me grief). :)

did i state above that we actually are using ELDK for this latest project, which is apparently based on FC4? it "feels" familiar in every way to me so i like it. that and i'm a powerpc user so it has benefits. my last company, btw, had a broadcom MIPS-based chip in the system i was writing code for (i was writing a math/DSP library). nobody supported that sucker so it sucked all around. ugh. this is the reason, btw, that i had to tinker with the compiler. they had some of the processor rules written incorrectly.

btw, as an aside, apparently there are 4 times as many packages available for RH/fedora than ubuntu. i did not know that. debian is on par with that number (debian is older than i realized, too).

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Just installed Ubuntu 9.04, everything mostly worked "right out of the box" :) Hardly had to tweak anything at all, I've been experimenting with Ubuntu releases since 7.04 and this is the first release where I've had no trouble thus far (I'm very new to linux and only have have the minor basics understood thus far.)

I just might make it my main desktop bootup and only use XP for gaming (yes there is WINE but why go through the trouble when I can run games natively without any repercussions?)

Edited by Syraxis

I am also going to install Linux and use it for schoolwork (writing essays etc) but need to figure out how to get my internal wireless card working under that OS before I install it.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

• 3 weeks later...

Think Ubuntu does wireless with relatively little pain.

"For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretences- either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed; and in return we hope that you, instead of thinking to influence us by saying that you did not join the Lacedaemonians, although their colonists, or that you have done us no wrong, will aim at what is feasible, holding in view the real sentiments of us both; since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."