New sekret project confirmed?

Zoma

Reviewers are such horrible people for enjoying their games. Reviewers should cater solely to angry irate nerds because they're such a huge and important demographic.

I expect reviewers to bring more tools and knowledge to the table than non reviewers.

They are not playing the game to enjoy it any more than the QA people are playing the game to enjoy it. They have a job to do. If the happen to enjoy it, that's great. But in that instance enjoyment is not the priority.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I never said that. The only way to make game reviews directly relevant to everyone is to make a review for every deranged person out there.

You can't expect a generalized score to be relevant to you if you're an angry irate internet nerd. As such people like us will have to actually read the review and try to understand it to see if we want to buy the game.

sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

I can't share the enthusiasm for a D&D project, since that will mean the abomination 4e ruleset. And I've already sworn never to buy anything related to that. Pathfinder would work though...

Arcanum 2 would be interesting, though more likely a steampunk/ Dark Towerish RPG---oh, now THAT would be fun--a Dark Tower RPG.

I'd prefer Warhammer to 40k. If I were to have my dream setting for sci-fi, it would be Babylon 5.

I'm guessing something D&D though, given the advanced notice. >_<

I'm totally aware of the "just because you don't like a game doesn't mean it's bad" thing. SOmetimes its true. But there are also times, when you don't like a game and it is in fact a bad game.
I agree with that, my point was specifically about Oblivion though.

OK, it might be detailed, but it's still a piece of ****. Oblivion is essentially like Postal only without all the fun stuff. Ultimately, you feel there isn't really any point in anything you do. Everything from the visual style to the story to the "details" are just wonderfully bland. What's the point with detail if it doesn't add to a meaningful game experience?
Why isn't there a point? You're given tasks and you fullfill them, just like in any RPG. In addition you can explore and have adventures. The point is to enjoy the gameplay. I understand not everyone enjoyed the stuff you did in Oblivion, but like I said, that's personal preference. Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I'm totally aware of the "just because you don't like a game doesn't mean it's bad" thing. SOmetimes its true. But there are also times, when you don't like a game and it is in fact a bad game.
I agree with that, my point was specifically about Oblivion though.

Oblivion being the "bad game" in the quote. :p

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Most likely Atari will be the publisher, because they want to put their D&D license to good use. And right now Obsidian is really the only possible choice for doing a multiplatform D&D RPG. I suspect it will be either NWN3 or BG3, and will be a Dragon Age clone (For heaven's sake, I hope not).

Well, it can't be NWN3, since Neverwinter doesn't exist in 4e. So I'm sure they'll call it something else. But it'll be intended to fill that market, I think as well. I do hope I'm wrong, I really have no intention of supporting 4e in any way, shape, or form.

Most likely Atari will be the publisher, because they want to put their D&D license to good use. And right now Obsidian is really the only possible choice for doing a multiplatform D&D RPG. I suspect it will be either NWN3 or BG3, and will be a Dragon Age clone (For heaven's sake, I hope not).

Well, it can't be NWN3, since Neverwinter doesn't exist in 4e. So I'm sure they'll call it something else. But it'll be intended to fill that market, I think as well. I do hope I'm wrong, I really have no intention of supporting 4e in any way, shape, or form.

Neverwinter while indeed "destroyed" in 4th ED does not mean that it could not be rebuilt. If I remember correctly, in NWN1, wasn't in a state of repair after Luskan attacked it? Personally I'd rather they abandon the "Neverwinter" name and start with Waterdeep Nights". o:)

Though my feeling on what game it is... I'm almost certain Atari has approached both CDProjekt and Obsidian for D&D games. As for what game each dev was approached for, remains a mystary.

I hope its not a superhero rpg.

I hate superheros. :(

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Oh, and I'd LOVE an Obsidian superhero RPG.

:ermm:

Considering that a new IP probably wouldn't have superfans, I'm banking on this being a sequel. And KOTOR3 seems highly unlikely, so I'm going to place my money on Baldur's Gate 3. Atari is on the rise financially and they could really use a megawatt hit to announce their official return. They've already expressed their interest in making another BG. So I'm betting it's that.

But he could just mean "superfans" of Obsidian. Sawyer is a tricky **** like that.

I would enjoy either a BG3 or IWD3.

My only concern on IWD3 is that Josh already did a take on IWD and I didn't enjoy it very much.

But IWD wouldn't seem a strong enough IP for Obsidian devs to be getting THAT excited, so I am leaning toward a BG3.

Considering

superfans have something to look forward to.

I'm going to guess that Josh is the project lead and it's a sequel to a game that has been awaited for quite a while.

Also Me Trees... :*

No, really, It'd be a nice change from the medieval fantasy that dominate RPGs.

Indeed it would. That's why I'd rather have Vampire (it would be the third in the series after Redemption and Bloodlines) or Kotor 3 than BG3 or IWD3.

I was never a huge fan of the Icewind Dale series, and hopefully Dragon Age will, optimistically speaking, fill the Baldur's Gate void.

A superhero singleplayer RPG could be cool as well. The the closest I've come those are the Freedom Force games, but they're quite far from being proper RPGs (more like strategy with leveling). I'm still waiting for the announcement of the THIRD installment in the Freedom Force series, though :(

Jokes aside, I'll hold my finger on Kotor 3. After all, the Kotor MMOG is coming, and that could open up a new market for the series. And more importantly: It's about friggin' time!

Edited by ericjones