New "Obsidian Evolves" Trailer (GT)

Oh, no worries, just stating it for the people who missed the youtube version.

The overall reaction seems fairly positive, though complaints about the visuals are also common.

That poor arms merchant has been held at gunpoint in almost every AP trailer thus far :woot:

Ah, thanks for the heads up Venom. Was wondering when this would hit Gametrailers.

Anyway, regarding graphics, it seems to me that AP is looking better and better as time passes... or maybe it's just my eyes getting used to it. Regardless, the gameplay looks very fun and the cover system seems quite well implemented. The thing I'm most afraid of at this point is bad AI, and low difficulty. They kind of go hand in hand. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Hm, while I don't think better AI is a bad thing, I think it does help to put it in perspective:

1) I've never been impressed by the combat AI in a shooter, much less a hybrid shooter. At best they hide behind cover, shoot accurately, and avoid getting naded or flanked while nading and flanking.

2) If the AI was on par with real soldiers, they'd demolish all but the most determined player pretty much every time.

3) Hordes of disposable bad guys are a staple of video games in general and the spy genre in particular.

I think in order to have truly "good" AI the pillars of the action game genre would have to be reconsidered. I.e. a project for Infinity Ward or somebody like that, not Obs.

Edited by Cl_Flushentityhero

I agree. If you don't feel like there's any danger of being shot at in a shooter, then it's just a matter of pressing buttons to advance the storyline, but then you lose that feeling of achievement for "getting there" at certain points of the plot. The enemy that Mike lobbed a grenade at didn't even attempt to make an escape, although I think it was a bug, because somewhere in the video enemies can be seen somersaulting, which I assume can be done to escape grenades as well. But back to the weak AI, a game that emphasizes the plot should give you the feeling that you had to work to get where you are in the story, in my opinion, and judging from this footage there is definitely room for improvement. Then again, we haven't seen very much of the game.

As for the reload animation, I'm sure they're still being worked on, seeing that much of the game's polish hasn't been applied yet.

I personally wouldn't define "good" AI in a computer game as having to be the most like a real soldier.

The gameplay of these sorts of things is inherently unrealistic. 1 person against endless hordes firing bullets that don't kill when they should etc. If the AI behaved truly realistically, the player would not only always lose, but most likely never get more than three steps.

And If developers wanted to, they could build AIs that would smoke the player instantly, but what would be the fun in that?

A good AI, to me, is one that a) makes the game fun and b) doesn't break the suspension of disbelief by doing things that are obviously retarded.

And that includes making it not as realistic or as tough as it could be in certain circumstances.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I personally wouldn't define "good" AI in a computer game as having to be the most like a real soldier.

The gameplay of these sorts of things is inherently unrealistic. 1 person against endless hordes firing bullets that don't kill when they should etc. If the AI behaved truly realistically, the player would not only always lose, but most likely never get more than three steps.

And If developers wanted to, they could build AIs that would smoke the player instantly, but what would be the fun in that?

A good AI, to me, is one that a) makes the game fun and b) doesn't break the suspension of disbelief by doing things that are obviously retarded.

And that includes making it not as realistic or as tough as it could be in certain circumstances.

I agree completely when it comes to the arcade-y shooters and over the top spy action genres... it's not fun to not be able to make any progress without dying endlessly. However, when it comes to simulation games, realistic AI is obviously a better choice than 'fun' AI, in my opinion. But then again, why not have both? A good balance between the two usually appeals to a more wider audience and gets the job done well. Operation Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising is a great example of this. >_<

That poor arms merchant has been held at gunpoint in almost every AP trailer thus far

Are you sure he is the arms merchant? He wears a uniform, which is not something I have come to associate to arms dealer. I think the man we saw being thrown off a cliff in the GTTV coverage is more likely to be the merchant : he is dressed as a civilian and his clothes looked like the clothes that are often wore by rich/important people in Saudi Arabia...

That poor arms merchant has been held at gunpoint in almost every AP trailer thus far

Are you sure he is the arms merchant? He wears a uniform, which is not something I have come to associate to arms dealer. I think the man we saw being thrown off a cliff in the GTTV coverage is more likely to be the merchant : he is dressed as a civilian and his clothes looked like the clothes that are often wore by rich/important people in Saudi Arabia...

Of course he's military, how do you think he gets his guns? :lol:

Just kidding, you could be completely right, I'm just going on word of mouth.

Or the fact that every time they talk about the arms dealer, it's that military guy (from which country I wonder? Iraq? For some reason that's what the red beret reminds me of) that is shown. But even then, i can't be sure. And it's unimportant. After all, I think the main reason we've been given so little dialogue footage is to keep the plot as "secret" as possible.

lol still not sure if i can make ol' mike black or not.

I'd prefer making him look like a blue woman.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Or the fact that every time they talk about the arms dealer, it's that military guy (from which country I wonder? Iraq? For some reason that's what the red beret reminds me of) that is shown. But even then, i can't be sure. And it's unimportant. After all, I think the main reason we've been given so little dialogue footage is to keep the plot as "secret" as possible.

Tomato, tomahto :thumbsup:

I like to think it's because the VA hasn't been fully mastered and processed. Honestly the snippets of dialogue we've heard from Mike have not blown me away.

I have a slightly buzzed Saturday night theory on voice acting. A good lead must either be emotive and have a dynamic range in their delivery or their voice must have some kind of interesting texture (like an accent or gravelly monotone characteristic of badasses). Obviously both is a plus. A voice that is crystal clear and devoid of expression isn't interesting to listen to, and that's kind of what MT sounds like so far.

That said, if he goes on to speak in 7 different languages perfectly and takes on different accents during every mission, I'll cut him some slack.

I like to think it's because the VA hasn't been fully mastered and processed. Honestly the snippets of dialogue we've heard from Mike have not blown me away.

I have a slightly buzzed Saturday night theory on voice acting. A good lead must either be emotive and have a dynamic range in their delivery or their voice must have some kind of interesting texture (like an accent or gravelly monotone characteristic of badasses). Obviously both is a plus. A voice that is crystal clear and devoid of expression isn't interesting to listen to, and that's kind of what MT sounds like so far.

That said, if he goes on to speak in 7 different languages perfectly and takes on different accents during every mission, I'll cut him some slack.

Yeah, let's hope Obs isn't going for an Agent Smith monotone... that would be a disaster. :)

Yeah, let's hope Obs isn't going for an Agent Smith monotone... that would be a disaster. :)

Actually, Hugo Weaving had a very memorable pattern of speech *and* a certain rolling growl to his voice that made the character stand out. I wouldn't call his performance monotone (and indeed, if you listen closely, the pitch of his voice often changes within a single line).

Yeah, let's hope Obs isn't going for an Agent Smith monotone... that would be a disaster. :p

Actually, Hugo Weaving had a very memorable pattern of speech *and* a certain rolling growl to his voice that made the character stand out. I wouldn't call his performance monotone (and indeed, if you listen closely, the pitch of his voice often changes within a single line).

Hmm... I see what you mean. I guess what I should say is that an Agent Smith voice acting style wouldn't do a protagonist character much justice. Anyway, I guess Obsidian is going for a greenhorn/newbie voice for MT, since he IS a new agent, now that I think about it.

Hugo Weaving's acting for V for Vendetta was amazing.

But MT needs something more. He sounds real bland.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Hugo Weaving's acting for V for Vendetta was amazing.

But MT needs something more. He sounds real bland.

That movie...

NEVER

****ING

ENDED

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies