Suggest good 80's song

I'm not normally a particularly bloodthisrty player in RPGs, but an 80s-obsessed boss character is getting a shotgun to the face from me. Seriously, he's just asking for it.

I'm thinking some Huey Lewis. The rights have gotta be pretty cheap to get by now...

Never Gonna Give You Up? :ermm:

In general, I'd think that something reasonably popular would be ideal so that the 80ness strikes most players immediately. In fact, within the gaming subculture, I'd use the tracks in Rock Band/Guitar Hero (either at release or DLC packs) as a pretty good barometer of awareness.

It's probably best to go for something that isn't obvious or excessively in-jokey (Rick Astley is obvious and in-jokey). And the less ubiquitous a song is the harder and more expensive it will be to snag rights for (good luck getting Michael Jackson rights, Sega)

It will depend on the context. If he's a "boss" in that you fight him, is the music going to be playing during fights? With something like Bioshock's opera battle music can add a lot to a fight, but if you've got an enemy "obsessed with the 80's" he's going to be camp as ****, and blaring new wave while you shotgun thugs is just going to feel ridiculous. But that can be good.

I would definitely consider Tom Tom Club and Peter Gabriel. Tom Tom Club would be comparitively easy to get, I would think. Also, "I Can't Go For That (No Can Do)" by Hall & Oates, which was my favorite song when I was 2.

Basically y'all should let me do the soundtrack.

Edited by Pop

As someone who's stuck in the 80's, this hits close to home :woot:

Let's see... hits are probably safe way to go because obscure bands and songs would be unknown to most players. *hit random selection*

Herbie Han**** - Rock It

Genesis - Land of Confusion

Human League - Don't You Want Me

Beastie Boys - You Gotta Fight For Your Right To Party

Man At Work - Down Under

Twisted Sisters - I Wanna Rock

The Housemartins - Happy Hour

Mike Oldfield - Moonlight Shadow

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Kirottu delivers.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Since it's for a boss character, imagine being in a serious moment with said character, only to have this song play. Definitely either a way to lighten things up, or complete mood killer. It would be epic. :lol::p:woot:

Edited by Syraxis