The fun stuff

Inspired by this thread in pnp I thought we should have one for computer games.

The idea occurred to me yesterday as I was playing Half-life 2. A completely new critter game leaping at me causing me to whirl around in shock. By pure luck I reflexively fired the shotgun and let it eat buckshot salad with instant death. "Hah!" I cried in triumph, stepped backwards, and fell to my gristly demise as I plummeted off the edge of the building.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

So I was playing X-COM some time ago. My whole rookie squad got blown up by an alien bazooka somewhere near the beginning of a terror mission. I had one badly wounded rookie left, I armed her with grenades and managed to finish the mission right before she succumbed to her wounds.

Also, it's always cool to prime a grenade and have a last stand when you see a Chryssalid right around the corner. Those things are nasty.

My friends and I used to call those "XCOM moments".

Things would appear to be going fine, then all of a sudden total disaster would strike and wipe out your entire team. Like when a low bravery guy would panic and fire his laser gun into a squaddie carrying an armed grenade. The armed grenade woudl fall loose as the squaddie died and blow up killing two teammates and wounding a third. The third squaddie, wounded and panicked would proceed to fire his rocket launcher right into the back of the Skyranger, killing all your remaining troopers and your tank.

Mission Score: -1000

lol. It was amazing how often stuff like that would happen.

COngrats on surviving an Xcom monet and finishing the mission. :)

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

My friends and I used to call those "XCOM moments".

Things would appear to be going fine, then all of a sudden total disaster would strike and wipe out your entire team. Like when a low bravery guy would panic and fire his laser gun into a squaddie carrying an armed grenade. The armed grenade woudl fall loose as the squaddie died and blow up killing two teammates and wounding a third. The third squaddie, wounded and panicked would proceed to fire his rocket launcher right into the back of the Skyranger, killing all your remaining troopers and your tank.

Mission Score: -1000

lol. It was amazing how often stuff like that would happen.

COngrats on surviving an Xcom monet and finishing the mission. :)

The one's when you don't survive aren't that "fun" :)

Now if only Jagged Alliance let you prime grenades and explosives...

Argh!

OK, so I'm playing Jedi Knight II. At one point, Kyle has to cross a hallway with snipers shooting from the windows. So I sit by the automated door, wait for it to open, fire a few rounds and kill the 3-4 badies waiting for me to pop my head out. I raised my fist victorious, only to be killed by the automated door, closing at the exact moment I decided to go through.

I had killed hordes of stormtroopers, enemy Sith, took down TIE fighters and Planet Destroyers, only to be done in by an automated door. I ... I have nothing more to say.

Nethack.

Leaving the Gnomish mines, swinging your +2 longsword around, bag full of loot and equipment - the world a blaze of glory.

Then you step on the stairs, miss a step and get crushed by your own loot when falling down.

Restart y/n?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I was trying to run from the cops in GTAIV and I came to a ledge, I thought "Awesome, I'll just jump the ledge and drive down the beach, no way they'll follow me" So I proceeded to hit the edge of the ledge and plow through the front windshield, landing on the road below and getting smoked by a car and dying. I never laughed so hard playing a game in my life. It was the first time I had encountered the front windshield mechanics of the game.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I'm playing Far Cry 2 and I make a very sly assassination shot with a silenced weapon from a crafty rooftop. Unfortunately I neglect to realise that the rooftop is going to be surrounded by irate goons. I spend a nervous minute or two peering cautiously over the edge, eventually finding ALL the goons (about fifteen) clustered around something on the ground which has their undivided attention. They don't see me, so I throw a frag in. It lands and there's a lone and quiet exclamation of "whuh?" followed by a thud, and body parts go bloody everywhere. I cheerfully climed off the rooftop, to get shot in the head by one goon who was obviously too smart or too cowardly or too mselly to stand with the others.

Actually, that isn't a great story, but I've typed it up now.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'm playing Far Cry 2 and I make a very sly assassination shot with a silenced weapon from a crafty rooftop. Unfortunately I neglect to realise that the rooftop is going to be surrounded by irate goons. I spend a nervous minute or two peering cautiously over the edge, eventually finding ALL the goons (about fifteen) clustered around something on the ground which has their undivided attention. They don't see me, so I throw a frag in. It lands and there's a lone and quiet exclamation of "whuh?" followed by a thud, and body parts go bloody everywhere. I cheerfully climed off the rooftop, to get shot in the head by one goon who was obviously too smart or too cowardly or too mselly to stand with the others.

Actually, that isn't a great story, but I've typed it up now.

It was funny. I had a great moment much like that, except I went the ninja assassin route. I would stalk the goons and take 'em out one by one. Until there was only one guy left. I then crawled along roofs to get right above him and waited there.

He heard a noise (as I moved) and just started screaming and rambling.. it was quite hilarous really.. Then I dropped down and shot him in the stomach and left him to die alone and afraid..

Fortune favors the bald.

sounds like this is one of those threads that'll get dominated by Left 4 dead eventually.

Like when you're trying to save somebody from a smoker only to shoot through the smoker into the witch right behind it... then you run run run and get away only to die from friendly fire (hunting rifle on expert is DEMONIC on friendlies) as you flee back to the group with a horde on your tail.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I used to play on an NWN PW server with permadeath. It was slow going in terms of level, my first few characters didn't get past level 2. But I settled on a fun Priest o' Tempus that lived the charmed life. I had him for over a year. One day I was traveling along The Long Road and I happened upon a group of Gnolls. I ripped through them with my trusty axe easily. Then I noticed a camp in the distance. Sure, I was alone, but I was level 5, a hero among men. So I carved up the camp. Then I noticed a cave. I went in and started dealing out the hammer of justice, when a rather large Gnoll rushed in. In he back of m mind I thought "Hmm, maybe I'm pressing my luck" but I was just enjoying the carnage too much. Sure enough, the large Gnoll hit me hard with a critical hit. I lay there bleeding out in a dirty gnoll cave. My body temperature shot through the roof when I realized my year old character just died completely alone to Gnoll.

permadeath rules.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I mentioned this in WoT, but I had a very enjoyable morning playing the final levels of Half life 2 (with the gravity gun) singing along to Disney tunes. The Hiegh-ho song, and The Bare Necessities have a perfect gleeful rambling quality. I found it really inspired me to get the most in creative destructiveness. Imagine Baloo the bear on a crack fueled rampage through an evil maniac's base.

I do also have an absolute lucky streak where artillery is concerned. My finest moment was a crude hunch in a very old game called Across the Rhine where I ordered a full use of artillery on a lateral pass (I figured the enemy would be camped in it waiting for me to go either side). I spent thirty minutes carefully working my way across the map only to discover every single one of the enemy dead in that valley. Total carnage.

A more recent artillery fest in Company of Heroes saw me call down 25 pdr fire onto a couple of tanks. Naturally they moved out the way, but unfortunately for my opponent he had clearly forgotten about the huge mass of infantry following on behind who walked straight into the kill zone just as the hammer fell. Highly satisfying, but clearly not as satisfying as any situation where an opponent can be lured onto a bridge wired for demolition. KABOOOM!

-Elwood Blues