Dragon Age

We MAY just need a fantasy book thread...

Books :ermm:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

lol 12 Books? Crazy.

at, what, 700 pages a book that is 12*700 = 8400 pages.

Seriously that has to be one of the longest continuous written narratives in the entire history of books.

That's pretty tame compared to mystery series. Miss Marple, 12 books. Hercule Poirot, 33 novels and 51 short stories. The

I'm halfway through The Stolen Throne, and it doesn't seem very dark at all so far.

I was planning on picking that up soon, is it any good?

Yes, if you know what to expect.

It doesn't have deep characters, a complex plot, rich wordcraft, or a vibrant setting. It

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I'm halfway through The Stolen Throne, and it doesn't seem very dark at all so far.

I was planning on picking that up soon, is it any good?

Yes, if you know what to expect.

It doesn't have deep characters, a complex plot, rich wordcraft, or a vibrant setting. It

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I didn't say that young adult books were unsophisticated. I said Dragon Age could be young adult fiction; something you couldn't say about a dark fantasy series like Black Company, A Song of Ice and Fire, or the Dusk/Dawn duology.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I didn't say that young adult books were unsophisticated. I said Dragon Age could be young adult fiction; something you couldn't say about a dark fantasy series like Black Company, A Song of Ice and Fire, or the Dusk/Dawn duology.

"This could be a young adult novel. It's not sophisticated, but it's also not bloated like a great deal of fantasy."

If that ain't a strong implication that young adult novels is unsophisticated...

*shrug*

but considering what you ain't appearing to say 'bout young adult fiction, the description becomes meaningless. ain't say is dark? ain't saying is unsophisticated? if not really saying anything, then why say anything?

regardless, Gaider's book might be worth the read... but if we read, then we feels compelled to review. having already been banned from bioware, we may end up being banned from Kanada.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

"This could be a young adult novel. It's not sophisticated, but it's also not bloated like a great deal of fantasy."

If that ain't a strong implication that young adult novels is unsophisticated...

*shrug*

but considering what you ain't appearing to say 'bout young adult fiction, the description becomes meaningless. ain't say is dark? ain't saying is unsophisticated? if not really saying anything, then why say anything?

regardless, Gaider's book might be worth the read... but if we read, then we feels compelled to review. having already been banned from bioware, we may end up being banned from Kanada.

HA! Good Fun!

How on earth did Gromnir ever get banned from the Bioboards? :ermm:

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Nope. Honesty doesn't get you banned. Posting style does. Just like anywhere.

is not necessarily true... but in this case it is sorta true. got banned 'cause chris priestly took over as head bioware board monkey. didn't want us talking 'bout dialogue wheel so he locked some threads wherein we criticized wheel and its characterization as innovative. priestly reason for locking threads: the POTENTIAL for spoilers. is not that people were spoiling mass effect in the threads, but the Potential o' Possible spoilers were enough to censor? what game feature can be discussed without a Potential for spoilers? ridiculous.

*chuckle*

somehow the dialogue wheel comes up as a topic on the DA board... a fan claims that dialogue wheel is super-groovy-kewl and wants it added to DA. thread goes on for a few pages without being locked so Gromnir joins in with some observations. hadn't posted for a while at the DA boards, so the locals were unfamiliar with us and they started getting all nasty 'cause we suggested that bio had pulled a serious con job on the gaming public. the natives rallied to the defense o' the biowarians. we did insult a few o' the arguments that were directed our way, but we didn't actually resort to personal insults, 'cause we knew priestly were looking for an excuse. didn't matter in the end as we got banned for some undisclosed reason... presumably for being too disruptive.

'course, the Truth o' the matter is that priestly not like our posting style... or maybe he not like us personal. dunno. in any case, board style and Gromnir himself not changed much since late 90s. no biggie. so yeah, in actuality is our posting style that got us banned.

mods can, and probably should, delete our post, but as we has been asked a number o' times we figure might as well explain... simple solution for Gromnir is to never again mention our bio banning so that it not come up again... is only genuine tough to avoid mentioning when we gets labeled as a bio fanboi here or at the codex... the irony always makes us laugh.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

Quotes from Georg Zoller

Armor mitigates damage, it does not make you harder to hit. Shields are an exception, they make you harder to hit and offer additional protection against missile hits.

Weapons have a stat called 'armor penetration', which determines the amount of armor they can ignore.

Simplified Example (assuming 100% deterministic results):

If your weapon has 0 armor penetration and you do 15 damage with it against a target with 10 armor, you end up doing only 5 points of damage.

(15 - (10- 0)) = 5

If your weapon has 5 armor penetration and you do 12 damage with it against a target with 10 armor, you end up doing 7 points of damage (12 - (10-5)) = 7 - so even though your weapon may do less damage, it still performs better against armoured opponents than a weapon with greater damage but no armor penetration.

This makes for some interesting gameplay where some weapons are more useful against heavier armoured opponents while others yield better results against lightly armoured ones - without having to introduce additional concepts such as melee damage types (piecing, smashing, etc.)

There is some randomization involved on both the weapon and armor side to limit deadlock scenarios where two opponents are absolutely unable to damage each other (think heavy armor, cheap weapon).

There's a minimum damage of 1 guaranteed for each attack - again to limit deadlocks - but since you're looking at most characters having like 100+ health, there's plenty of reason to switch to a different set of weapons if you consistently hit for 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, if you pre-order you get a nifty +5 Ring of Levelling Up Fast, just in case you need to grind the orcs even faster to get to the next cut-scene!

No, I'm not making this up.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

Hey, if you pre-order you get a nifty +5 Ring of Levelling Up Fast, just in case you need to grind the orcs even faster to get to the next cut-scene!

No, I'm not making this up.

Cheers

MC

It is a bit odd that they are giving out items that will enable you to finish the game quicker, but hey why not. I haven't bothered to preorder any games in quite a while maybe i will do it for this game, not sure if i will actually use the ring but having the option to is nice.