A New Game Unannounced from Blizzard

Unless it's a MMO I'll probably check it out.

Until then I'm looking forward to Diablo III. Those skill-altering runes look really interesting, I have always wanted to teleport Nightcrawler-style.

Edited by Purkake

Well, it's clearly too early to tell what type of game it will be, but I doubt it will be a MMO - after all, they have Wow and are working on another MMO - even Blizzard is not crazy enough to be working on 3 MMOs simultaneously!

Actually another Warcraft RTS would be kind of nice to have! Still, I suspect a new IP - Blizzard has been relying on the same three IPs for more than a decade now and although wildly successful, they will probably nonetheless want to expand their IP garden.

Well, it's clearly too early to tell what type of game it will be, but I doubt it will be a MMO - after all, they have Wow and are working on another MMO - even Blizzard is not crazy enough to be working on 3 MMOs simultaneously!

Actually another Warcraft RTS would be kind of nice to have! Still, I suspect a new IP - Blizzard has been relying on the same three IPs for more than a decade now and although wildly successful, they will probably nonetheless want to expand their IP garden.

Blizzard(along with Valve) have earned enough good will from me that I will play anything they make(except MMOs). A new IP would be very welcome, hopefully Blizzard will also try another genre or at least a new take on an old one.

Blizzard(along with Valve) have earned enough good will from me that I will play anything they make(except MMOs).

I am pretty much the same way - a Blizzard game that is not a MMO is an auto-buy for me (not Valve though - I have actually not played any of their games, so I cannot judge).

Blizzard(along with Valve) have earned enough good will from me that I will play anything they make(except MMOs).

I am pretty much the same way - a Blizzard game that is not a MMO is an auto-buy for me (not Valve though - I have actually not played any of their games, so I cannot judge).

Have you at least played Portal?

I want a Wc3 single player RPG! On the consoles, so it can look something else than cartoony.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

after all, they have Wow and are working on another MMO - even

WHy are they working on another MMO? Are they planing on killing WoW in the future?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

WHy are they working on another MMO? Are they planing on killing WoW in the future?

Just my thoughts, but if they see the MMO community is large enough to support another one, why not? MMOs are here to stay, and assuming that WoW will always be number one is foolish.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

No, I never have.

It's gotta be a new IP. Their three major brands are already underdevelopment or in play (warcraft, starcraft and diablo), Their MMO is gonna be a new IP and this one probably will be too.

I don't think we'll see a Warcraft 4 until WoW is buried and it's fields are sewn with salt.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Well, that they are working on another MMO is pretty old news, though little is known beyond that tidbit. Bear in mind that the the MMO, however, is not yet announced, so it is probably quite far out - especially considering how long Blizzard development cycle can take. By the time it releases, WoW might not be at the top of the heap any more, so as strange as it may sound now a new MMO might be just the thing for them to regain market share at that point in time. Furthermore, the new MMO might appeal to a different target market or to those who have tired of WoW, which may limit overlap to some extent.

No, I never have.

Then you, good sir, are missing out on some of the best 4-5h of quality entertainment money can buy. Do yourself a favor and get the Orange Box, Portal alone is worth 50 bucks/euros.

Did Valve develop Portal? I thought they funded the development...

I expect a new IP as well.

Diablo III - this year

MMO - 2011

New IP - 2012

Valve brought in a bunch of students who had made a tech demo-ish game featuring portals called "Narbacular Drop" and then had them make the greatness that is Portal.

Edited by Purkake

One of the reasons Valve is an awesome company. Getting talented modders to work for you? A shame they're the only ones who do this.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

One of the reasons Valve is an awesome company. Getting talented modders to work for you? A shame they're the only ones who do this.

Bioware hired a boatload of hall of fame NWN modders, and Ion Storm got like 90% of their original developers from the doom/quake modding community.

Anyway, I'd love to see Blizzard do a single player story based RPG. The writing in their games has always been top notch and I'd like to see them really stretch their legs. Hell, I'd like them to just take the engine and world from WoW and build a single player RPG in it. It would save a lot of dev time. Imagine a big epic Mask of the Betrayer quality story spanning the WoW gameworld. I'd buy that even with the dated graphics.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

The writing in their games has always been top notch

I've never understood this, myself. Some people rave on about Starcraft but it was just your generic Monster Race vs Human Race vs Super Alien Race filling in archetypes and duking it out. Diablo and Warcraft have utterly generic stories as well, though I don't know if WOW has advanced the latter beyond, say, Guild Wars-style "Tons and Tons Of Generic Fantasy Fare That Is Just There To Fill Its Position". It's just that Blizzard has always been excellent at delivering those stories (e.g. Diablo 2 movie clips were amazing).

The writing in their games has always been top notch

I've never understood this, myself. Some people rave on about Starcraft but it was just your generic Monster Race vs Human Race vs Super Alien Race filling in archetypes and duking it out. Diablo and Warcraft have utterly generic stories as well, though I don't know if WOW has advanced the latter beyond, say, Guild Wars-style "Tons and Tons Of Generic Fantasy Fare That Is Just There To Fill Its Position". It's just that Blizzard has always been excellent at delivering those stories (e.g. Diablo 2 movie clips were amazing).

Maybe he meant the writing itself and not necessarily the story. I never felt that the writing in Diablo or Starcraft was corny, except for some of the jokes in there.

I agree that Blizzard presents its stories very well via cutscenes. I think the stories in Starcraft and Diablo were also pretty good and were presented in such a way that made you feel like you were the center of the story. In Starcraft, you had a special role as Commander for the Terrans, Executor for the Protoss and Cerebrate for the Zerg. The player was addressed as such by the other main characters during mission briefings when they put you in command, and that really made you feel at the center of the story. I'm a little disappointed that Blizzard decided to change that in Starcraft 2 where you'll just be playing as Jim Raynor etc. I would have preferred being addressed as Commander again and feel like I was in charge of how well a mission would go down.

I think its all relative.

Blizzard may not be great writing when compared to a SCI fi channel movie of the week, but its pretty brilliant stuff when compared to Bethesda.

Games generally have a pretty low bar for writing/story quality anyway, since the focus is usually on gameplay not narrative. But even within the game medium there is a huge variation. Planescape may be on the upper end of the game writing scale and then Oblivion and FO3 are on the sub-literate end. Blizzard is probably somewhere between.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Then you, good sir, are missing out on some of the best 4-5h of quality entertainment money can buy. Do yourself a favor and get the Orange Box, Portal alone is worth 50 bucks/euros.

Stay away from Portal. It oozes with potential, but puzzles are laughably easy. Which is kind of a big deal for a puzzle game.

20795.jpg

Judging game narrative by the same criteria as novels and movies doesn't work. A story game has to stretch out over 15-20 hours, and unlike a book, the player can't just flip back to an earlier part, skim a page, and then resume.

That said, people underestimate the level of storytelling in games.

BioShock has some great stories in it

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.