I'm confused.

Yes, the two systems have similar goals. But AP' dialog system gives you the choice between stances, it's timed, and you can't go through the same pieces of dialog twice. Maybe it's just me, but the differences are pretty big, which is why I don't agree with all the AP's dialog system looks a lot like ME. Hell, it's not even similar on a visual basis.

So, you don't think most people will compare the two at all?

I think he's saying that they shouldn't, not that they won't.

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

How exactly did Splinter Cell better sneaking than all the Thief games? Your claim is rather bold when the original SC had a very different, almot puzzle-oriented focus, which concentrated on tackling enemies instead of avoiding them entirely like Thief games. Each encounter had a very narrow set of options, usually a choice between environmental takeout or a gadget(shoot a roll or gas them). You had to approach each encounter with the developers options in mind and the levels were long railways with little freeroaming or backtracking and instead featured set-piece sneaking encounters interrrupted by short radio chatter vignettes followed by a checkpoint. Then you tackled the next corridor of traps and half-deaf and blind enemies. The sneaking itself, how you traversed the environments and how enemy AI worked and reacted owed more to MGS games than Thief or Deus Ex. I haven't played Double Agent yet, but Chaos Theory on the other hand broadened the levels to something resembling a real location, instead of an indrustial walkway.

Now, I really liked SC 1 because of the puzzle-like nature of it. Every encounter felt like a mindgame with the devs and the very strict policy on alarms and enemy encounters made that even more so. Very atmospheric and mindbendingly hard at parts. Like the oil rig level which has only one right way to solve it. Comparing SC to Thief games, however, is bit like comparing Company of Heroes and Rise of Legends, sure they are both RTS, but...

Splinter Cell is definately more puzzle oriented but that's part of the charm. There were several options to solve the situations but obviously not always several for all 3 methoids of execution (full combat, stun or complitely avoiding enemies). Sneaking as game mechanic was great because you could adjust your speed or to open doors slowly or fast. You also had option to hide from enemies by various ways, like getting above 'em via various acrobatic moves or hanging bellow 'em. Of of the feature I really liked was the fact that you could stun opponents after you asked something of 'em, rather then just to stun 'em right away with baton like in Thief. Just as there are differences, there's also many similarities. Just like in Thief, you could snuff out light sources or walking in different surfaces. Or to hide bodies to avoid detection.

I really like Thief series but from game mechanic point of view Spinter Cell is better. This is of course natural as Splinter Cell more recent game. Thief had both Dark Project and Metal Age (my fav of the series) released before original Splinter Cell.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

Yes, the two systems have similar goals. But AP' dialog system gives you the choice between stances, it's timed, and you can't go through the same pieces of dialog twice. Maybe it's just me, but the differences are pretty big, which is why I don't agree with all the AP's dialog system looks a lot like ME. Hell, it's not even similar on a visual basis.

So, you don't think most people will compare the two at all?

They'll compare it on a superficial level. It'd be great if people would actually take the time and compare them more thoroughly, cause then they'd see how different they are. I don't agree with the people going all "AP ripped off ME's dialog system" or stuff like that. Sorry for being unclear.

Edited by fastpunk

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

I don't think people will accuse them of being the same. I think ME's dialogue interface is the standard upon which AP's will be judged, which is why I said it would be an easy win for AP.

For clarification, when I say 'compare' I do mean 'accuse of ripping off.' I suppose certain politically correct gaming journalists use the terms interchangeably, but that's damned annoying.