I'm confused.

Every time I see people comment on Alpha Protocol, they make the same idiotic comparisons to Splinter Cell and MGS4.

Do people not know what RPG means?

/sigh

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

Every time I see people comment on Alpha Protocol, they make the same idiotic comparisons to Splinter Cell and MGS4.

Do people not know what RPG means?

/sigh

rpg.jpg

:)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Why are such comparisons idiotic? The action gameplay we've seen is similar to those two titles. Comparing x to y isn't the same as claiming x and y are EXACTLY THE SAME.

Oh, and I pretty much agree with Cl_Flushentityhe...

Edited by Hell Kitty

Why are such comparisons idiotic? The action gameplay we've seen is similar to those two titles. Comparing x to y isn't the same as claiming x and y are EXACTLY THE SAME.

Except, you know, for the entire branching dialogue/plot part?

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

Er, what part of Comparing x to y isn't the same as claiming x and y are EXACTLY THE SAME are you not understanding?

It's not idiotic to say that AP shares similarities with other stealth action games, because based on what we've seen it's true. That there is more to AP doesn't change this. Similar does not equal the same.

If people are dismissing AP because they don't think it's individual parts look as good as other games ("Combat isn't as good as Gears of War.", "Stealth isn't as good as Splinter Cell", "It's not a real RPG like Fallout"), then they're missing out, but whining that they don't get it isn't going to change that.

Genre hybrids always run the risk of being the jack of all trades and master of none. I am crossing my fingers and hoping that it will indeed focus more on either the "Action" OR the "RPG" part, rather than spreading itself too thin :)

I liked both VMBL and The Witcher, but that was despite their action parts, not because of... Lets see what Alpha Protocol is about when we get more info and more hands on reviews.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Er, what part of Comparing x to y isn't the same as claiming x and y are EXACTLY THE SAME are you not understanding?

It's not idiotic to say that AP shares similarities with other stealth action games, because based on what we've seen it's true. That there is more to AP doesn't change this. Similar does not equal the same.

If people are dismissing AP because they don't think it's individual parts look as good as other games ("Combat isn't as good as Gears of War.", "Stealth isn't as good as Splinter Cell", "It's not a real RPG like Fallout"), then they're missing out, but whining that they don't get it isn't going to change that.

You misunderstand me. I was expressing my frustration with people who discount games on the grounds of them being "not as good as" <generic action game here>.

So, Splinter Cell and MGS4 are generic action games?

Yes.

Yes.

Uh? Aren't they the pinnacle of their genre(actiony-stealth-games)? If they are avarage, it would be really interesting if you would point out the very best that there is instead.

Pretty please.

With sugar and cherry on top.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Yes.

Uh? Aren't they the pinnacle of their genre(actiony-stealth-games)? If they are avarage, it would be really interesting if you would point out the very best that there is instead.

Pretty please.

With sugar and cherry on top.

DX, Thief and System Shock.

20795.jpg

[quote name='H

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Are DX, SS and most importantly Thief Action-games now? I know i am about to start splitting hairs here, but i was referring to games were the focus was on stealth-action, not as a separate and optional component. Kind of me first questioning whether there are movies like "Star Wars" in terms of production and execution and with you answering "Blade Runner".

Sure, they are of the same genre, but not the same type of idea. That was what i was getting at, especially since AP seems to want to be as Gorth mentioned: "Jack of all trades, master of none", simply a crossover.

OK, not Thief, but DX and SS definitely qualify as action games. They required the player to use some basic tactics and try to conserve ammo, but if you knew level layout and were good at scoring headshots you could easily massacre small armies. Just yesterday I gunned down the entire Area 51 personnel with great prejudice, using ventilation system to my advantage.

The red line her, albeit thin, is that should a crossover game have the components of the best of its respective genre that it wants to incorporate? Or is it possible to stand on its own feet by the mere influence of other genres?

It should, and it's perfectly doable, as Deus Ex demonstrated.

20795.jpg

[quote name='H

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Aren't they the pinnacle of their genre(actiony-stealth-games)?

Yes. While the SC, MGS and Thief series all allowed the player to resort to action (yes, even Thief, you didn't carry around a sword for nothin'), they were very much focused on stealth. The DX and SS series allowed stealth but it was never the focus, and being a jack of all trades meant the stealth couldn't compare to those other three series.

I do hope the stealth in AP is closer to the first three than the last two.

Aren't they the pinnacle of their genre(actiony-stealth-games)?

Yes. While the SC, MGS and Thief series all allowed the player to resort to action (yes, even Thief, you didn't carry around a sword for nothin'), they were very much focused on stealth. The DX and SS series allowed stealth but it was never the focus, and being a jack of all trades meant the stealth couldn't compare to those other three series.

I do hope the stealth in AP is closer to the first three than the last two.

I hope Obsidian takes the time to write KotOR2 quality dialogue. That's all I want.

I'm not expecting another character as deep as Kreia (that would be *very* hard to do), but I do want good dialogue.

I felt Deus Ex's first person combat was poor. It was still a fine game, but I tolerated the combat because the rest of the game was so good.

I never enjoyed the combat.

I'm hopeful AP can combine enjoyable FPS combat with a more complex gameworld than your average shooter.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

To nitpick, AP is not in first person, hence does not have FPS combat.

True. To make the comparison between the two, I should probably just have said combat.

Anyway, as DX showed, even if the combat isn't great, if the rest of the game is good, mediocre combat can be tolerated.

But I am hoping the AP will bridge that gap and make me happy.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.