Sci-Fi Channel changes name to SyFy

Meshugger

Press Release

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Am I allowed to use the term 'wanker'? When are these besuited nincompoops going to accept that some things just don't apply to certain sectors. You can't sell men skin cream. You can't sell the majority of women on SciFi. We're nerds anyway. I say we boycott the bastards for hating their core demographic. I mean what kind of selling pitch is THAT?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Dude, get with the program already. The snowball has been sent on a roll, and elvis has already left the building.

Discovery Science will become DeSy. Animal Planet will become Enimul-P. Wicker is no longer an english word. Our very form of communication is perpetually declining into LOLCODE.

This generation is a joke.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

As stupid as it is, I don't care. After Battlestar is over there is nothing worth watching there anyway.

This just goes to show that the "marketing" people are totally out of touch with reality.

Edited by Purkake

As stupid as it is, I don't care. After Battlestar is over there is nothing worth watching there anyway.

This just goes to show that the "marketing" people are totally out of touch with reality.

Cosign

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Early April fools prank? They cant be serious.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Meh. They haven't broadcast anything worth watching since MST3K went off the air, anyway.

On that note I bought a bunch of MST3K dvd on ebay. The bummer is it is never as funny as the first time you see it.

Back on topic, this is one of the signs of the collapse of western civilization. Dumbing down of the language and culture. Such as it is. Who wants to watch a channel whose name sounds like an off brand bottled water distributor or a sushi restraunt in some small Balkan town?

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

This was the funniest story I saw this week. The odd thing is the scifi channel had its best year ever last year, why exactly do they think they need a change?

probably the same reason coke needed to be sweeter: to attract new drinkers. of course, like with coke, such an attitude ignores the existing customer base and what THEY want, and hence, new coke is but a footnote in history and the butt of jokes such as this. the people that watch sci-fi are already watching, and the people that think sci-fi is geeky aren't really going to switch because of a name change. the people that think programs on sci-fi are intellectually bankrupt are smart enough to know better, too.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Hah I was just thinking "hmm did someone necro last years april fools?".

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

My bet.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

This is why they are doing it. Unusual spellings can be trademarked.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/16/business...adcol.html?_r=2

One big advantage of the name change, the executives say, is that Sci Fi is vague
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

it is not a rebranding and doesn't look as grammatically messed up.

A year down the road and no one will even remember or care that it was ever anything but Syfy. Just like no one thinks Wii = Urine anymore.

Wii=wholesome fun games the entire family, even gramma can enjoy.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

it is not a rebranding and doesn't look as grammatically messed up.

A year down the road and no one will even remember or care that it was ever anything but Syfy. Just like no one thinks Wii = Urine anymore.

Wii=wholesome fun games the entire family, even gramma can enjoy.

Just because it will be accepted and forgotten doesn't make it any less stupid.

meh, my family would always refer to the channel as "skiffy" rather than sci fi. I have noticed that they're focusing a lot less on the scifi genre anymore with shows like ghost hunters and ecw and anime so maybe they're trying to get away from being related to a single genre?

It's almost like they're trying to shift to be more like G4 but on basic cable (which would probably make them more profitable if you think about it, nobodies embraced gaming culture on basic cable to a very good degree.)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

"Just like no one thinks Wii = Urine anymore.

Wii=wholesome fun games the entire family, even gramma can enjoy."

Disagreed. That's all i think about when I think of the console named Pee. Thankfully, I aprtaked in its retardedness only once. Worst console ever. Okay, not really, since there's been much worse; but terirble consideirng it's Nintendo and they should knbow better. But, hey, guess one cna't argue with the success they've had with it. *shrug*

"mOM, CAN i PLAY WITH my pee!?!"

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Corporate rebranding is good for the economy (stationery printers, sign makers and so on), churns the money round and, most important, it keeps the consultants who do this kind of thing busy and not roaming the streets endangering the general public. :thumbsup:

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

"Just like no one thinks Wii = Urine anymore.

Wii=wholesome fun games the entire family, even gramma can enjoy."

Disagreed. That's all i think about when I think of the console named Pee. Thankfully, I aprtaked in its retardedness only once. Worst console ever. Okay, not really, since there's been much worse; but terirble consideirng it's Nintendo and they should knbow better. But, hey, guess one cna't argue with the success they've had with it. *shrug*

"mOM, CAN i PLAY WITH my pee!?!"

On the contrary, Wii is the most awesome ever. Wii fit and Mario Kart Wii are perfect for parties, everyone can play it. Before, consoles belonged to youngsters playing games in their own rooms in silence. With the Wii, it's like a constant party, and everyone is invited.

All hail Nintendo!

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy