Games you never finished

Rosbjerg

Ive only actually finished 5 games: Duke Nukem, Crusader, Diablo, Dungeon Keeper, BG2 + TOB

Games I didnt finish:

Zork (and all the rest of the C64 games)

Doom

Heretic

Hexen

Rise of the Triad

Crusader 2

Baldurs Gate

Diablo 2 + Expansions

IWD 2

Dungeon Keeper 2

NWN 2

And probobly lots more that Ive forgotten.

i've never not finished a game i enjoyed.

i've even played through to the end of several games that i ultimately wished i hadn't bothered with: e.g. Assassin's Creed

i have, however, ditched on a number of games that were initially fun but eventually became supremely boring: e.g. Diablo 2, Titan Quest and Lionheart.

and then there are the games which were spectacularly bad from the get-go, but which i stuck with for several hours before qutting, out of some misplaced hope they would improve or because they had pretty graphics, e.g. Dungeon Siege.

but the most interesting category is the games i almost quit on but then came back to: Planescape and Morrowind. Planescape i gave up very early first time round because i was irritated at the lack of character choice, but came back to because the setting was too intriguing. Morrowind i gave up on initially because it was just too damn big. i decided to give it another chance and stuck through to the bitter end.

the contrast is this: Planescape is a game that i initially underrated but came to love. whereas Morrowind is a game whose faults were more or less immediately apparent but i came to tolerate.

Edited by newc0253

dumber than a bag of hammers

I've stopped and ended up coming back to and finishing a few games over the years. Bloodlines and Dues Ex were like that. They didn't pull me in the first time, but a few months later and a different approach, and I found them fantastic.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. ;(

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I remember playing STALKER, i put that one back down 2 times and then finally picked it up again after it was heavily patched, added some mods and BLAM it was awesome!

I still havent beat Clear sky though. Id like ot ge tback to that.

Mass Effect is another one i almost beat but never quite finished due to Life changes.

The Witcher... It seems like a game i would like, i love the writing, and the style and atmosphere. But the gameplay was really pissing me off. Ill give it another try, it deserves it. The game was also crashing on me. Bah!

I've been starting and not finishing more games as of late. It's rarely a reflection on their quality, just a general hyperactivity on my part which causes me to jump around from thing to thing. And luckily we have a decent lending library of titles from work that lets me indulge whims without shelling out 60 bucks.

Ones I can remember from the last year that I started and didn't finish:

Ninja Gaiden II

Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia

Valkyria Chronicles (might finish this one, just got annoyed at the gigantic-tank mission)

Professor Layton

Prince of Persia

Lunar Knights

Command and Conquer III

Gears of War II

Battlefield: Bad Company

Burnout Paradise

The Witcher

Condemned 2

Dead Space

Dark Sector

Fable II

Mercs 2

GRAW2

Tales of Vesperia

Too Human

That's actually a lot more games than I thought when I started writing it out. I guess there's always Peggle.

Matthew Rorie

I've been starting and not finishing more games as of late. It's rarely a reflection on their quality, just a general hyperactivity on my part which causes me to jump around from thing to thing. And luckily we have a decent lending library of titles from work that lets me indulge whims without shelling out 60 bucks.

Ones I can remember from the last year that I started and didn't finish:

Ninja Gaiden II

Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia

Valkyria Chronicles (might finish this one, just got annoyed at the gigantic-tank mission)

Professor Layton

Prince of Persia

Lunar Knights

Command and Conquer III

Gears of War II

Battlefield: Bad Company

Burnout Paradise

The Witcher

Condemned 2

Dead Space

Dark Sector

Fable II

Mercs 2

GRAW2

Tales of Vesperia

Too Human

That's actually a lot more games than I thought when I started writing it out. I guess there's always Peggle.

Most of those get insanely good near the endgame.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Burnout Paradise

I don't think there's an end to this. I got the final driver's license but the game just kept on going. There's yet another driver's license available if you finish 100% of everything in the game.. I'm not that mentally disturbed though.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

The Witcher... It seems like a game i would like, i love the writing, and the style and atmosphere. But the gameplay was really pissing me off. Ill give it another try, it deserves it. The game was also crashing on me. Bah!

I had the same problem with The Witcher, loved the atmosphere and setting, but the mechanics of the game were really annoying me. I got quite far, but the story kinda stalled and got boring, that and the gameplay meant I couldn't bother to finish.

Fortune favors the bald.

Yeah, I found the demo of the Witcher to have pretty meh gameplay, so never bothered with the full game. I'm actually hoping the console version will successfully turn into a proper action RPG, since they're revamping the gameplay, while retaining all the story crap.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

The only recent game I can recall not finishing is Persona 3 FES, and that's just because I didn't have the time to devote to it.

If I don't finish a game it's generally because I'm not enjoying it, though I have been known to complete games purely for the sake of completing them.

Edit: I just remembered I never finished Gothic 3. I enjoyed it well enough, but didn't care about the story and had done enough exploring that I felt I got all I needed out of the game.

Edited by Hell Kitty

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

i just realised STALKER is the one game i wanted to finish but couldn't. i ran into a game-stopping bug at the reactor, couldn't find a bug-fix and didn't have any saved games to get around it.

i always just assume that i would have beaten it.

dumber than a bag of hammers

Still haven't finished X3: Terran Conflict, Persona 4, STALKER Clear Sky, Resident Evil 5, or Street Fight IV.

Will soon, though.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I finish most of the games I buy, and there are a few where I haven't really been enjoying the gameplay but I've finished nonetheless because I wanted to see what happened in the story. One game I liked but failed to finish was Fable - if you're not going to let me save whenever and wherever I want, then you'd better make your game 100% bug free. Now I'm very careful to check reviews and forums to be sure that I don't buy games with that sort of save system.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Unfinished games that I intend to get to get back to eventually:

- Xenosaga

- Final Fantasy X

- Command and Conquer III

- Ninja Gaiden II

- Fallout

- Half Life 2: Episode 2

- Bring Down The Sky (Mass Effect expansion)

- Metal Gear Solid 2

- Jak and Daxter

- Indigo Prophecy

Unfinished games that I don't think I have the inclination to get back to:

- Baldur's Gate II

- Neverwinter Nights

- Grand Theft Auto III

- Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

- Dead Rising

- Fable

- Forza

- NFS Most Wanted

- Gears Of War

2008_fundraiser_banner_button-en.png

Never finished IWD2. About half way through I realized I hated that game.

Never finished Oblivion which is amazing considering how many games I started. My problem there is I'll get to about level 12-15 and realize my character has a build flaw because of some poor choices when levelling up. The only thing I can do is start over. And over.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Warhammer 40k: Chaos Gate. I love that game, but I can't get it to work on a non-win95 PC. I'm seriously considering having a dedicated machine just for it.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Never finished Oblivion which is amazing considering how many games I started. My problem there is I'll get to about level 12-15 and realize my character has a build flaw because of some poor choices when levelling up. The only thing I can do is start over. And over.

I've finished Oblivion three or four times but never without a levelling mod - the only game I've ever played where I added a user-created mod on my first playthrough, and it took a lot of persuading myself to do it, but I was so alarmed by the descriptions of how messed-up the levelling system was. I don't think I would have enjoyed the game much without that mod - it made the whole levelling thing stress-free.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Bard's Tale II: The Destiny Wand. I actually did beat this game by cheating(some code or something to gather all the wand segments and go fight the end boss), but never did complete all the dungeons which the wand pieces were scattered about in. One in particular I've been curious about for 20 years... The Grey Crypt. It was a magic dead dungeon, completely dark, and filled with very nasty undead. Never did get to see what sort of puzzle was at the end.

Let me see...

Did not beat:

Far Cry*

Far Cry 2*

Crysis Warhead*

Alpha Prime

SIN

Should beat:

NWN: Shadows of Undertide

NWN: Original Champaign

NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer

Timeshift

Call of Duty: World at War*

Bioshock

Assassin's Creed

Rainbow Six Vegas 2

SIN Episodes: Emergence

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic

Half Life: Blue Shift

Half Life: Opposing Force

Will beat soon:

Mass Effect

Tomb Raider: Underworld

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

*I was/am borrowing these.

One down. :-

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

congratulations! :ermm:

I've found Planescape in bargain bin (it looked pretty used, but seemed to be in working condition) - I've installed the game, but I can't get the resolution mods to work and unless I can do that, it'll stay on my list.

Fortune favors the bald.

Did Not Finish:

X-com terror from the deep

Heroes of Might and Magic 5

Dreamfall

Galactic Civilizations 2

Unreal Tournament 3

Lords of the Realm 3

Lionheart

"To be, or not to be a real RPG, that is the question.

Whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows

or outrageous action... or by taking up arms against a sea of crap and by opposing: end them."