new monitor

Walsingham

Some time ago, my guess is 2 or so years now, I went through 4 different 22" inch LCD models before I realized they were all destined to be the same 160/160 5ms TN panel. I learned that I was never going to find what I wanted in that size. Color reproduction was never a problem for me, though. It was always the viewing angles and the frosty look the matte coatings create. I think matte can also jack up the contrast too. Those last two statements should annoy some folk, since they love their matte screens and hate glossy :). I finally settled on a 20" NEC 20wmgx2 which turned out to be well worth the extra dough.

I know some day I'll be needing to buy again. I remain prepared for another pain in the ass trying to find a glossy coated screen of the MVA/PVA, IPS variety that's still affordable. I've tried out what I call the 2nd generation 5ms TN panel which has the 170/160 viewing angles and they actually got better, but still not good enough.

Congrats to the OP for being able to make such a complicated decision so quickly :)

• 3 weeks later...

2 brief things: somewhere I read how you can tell if a panel is TFT or not by some measurement...but I can't remember how. Anyone know? Supposedly this one I bought is, but I don't always believe what they say. This thing seemed awfully cheap ($229 on sale), but what do I know anymore.

Two...never mind, I figured this one out...

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

TFT is supposed to be better for colors.

This LG supposedly has 2ms, no ghosting so far, and no noticeable dead pixels either. However, it does not come with any kind of manual which is a bit annoying and there sure isn't much info on it online, which makes me nervous. I have 14 days to return it w/no 'stocking fee'. :D

So far my biggest beef really has to do with the text. I can see colors between the pixels of letters (dot matrix like), drives me nuts. Contrast is fine. A little on the green or blue side but ok and better than too much red. I can now see that yes, a lot of my recent screenies or photos I was adjusting too bright...altho that's sometimes because I often have the brightness down very low and forget...

The stand won't tilt tho and I can't figure out why..It SAYS on a tiny piece of paper that it should, and I saw it do so in store. So I'm befuddled. I'm afraid to push too hard for breaking. *mutter*

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Can I just say that anyone with 2 ns reaction time is a freak of nature? Take something sharp, and reasonably fast that's within your budget.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Eh? I thought the ms time had to do with graphic lag/smearing of fast paced movement (games, maybe movies). What does that have to do with human reaction time?

Eh? I thought the ms time had to do with graphic lag/smearing of fast paced movement (games, maybe movies). What does that have to do with human reaction time?

I guess. I just assumed that anything happening faster than that would be practically imperceptible, except by the preconscious mind.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.