new monitor

Walsingham

I just realized I suck at monitors. I'm just not interested! I mean, I'm still sporting one of these:

950p.jpg

To maintain your credibility I'm going to pretend that thing is ten foot wide.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I just realized I suck at monitors. I'm just not interested! I mean, I'm still sporting one of these:

950p.jpg

What? Only real men use CRTs. Much better for budget gaming

17_34_samsung_795_mb.jpg

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I couldn't have one of them. No room on my desk. I need that space for... *looks* a small screwdriver, a nectarine, a banana, a disposable razor, and a watch that shoots tiny plastic rockets.

I do still rate the thing because it's a bright sunny day and I can have the sun on my face while still working.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Better colour representation as well as contrast. LCD's can't match their lower ranges (blackness levels) I've got one too, the damn thing refuses to break so I can get a flatscreen.

lol, same here. We had 4 of these things he got from his old office...one did finally break, but I'm using a 2nd and hubby uses the other two, both on one desk.

They're 19" Viewsonic Optiquest V95's. At the time, they weren't the best (we never have "the best", hah), but very good for their price. Ancient now, but not worth replacing till they break. I have a huge office desk, and hubby has an old-style all-steel desk that weighs a ton, so desk-weight's not an issue. They were a pain to move from house to house tho.

717FRN4TH4L._SS500_.gif

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

You're all perverts. What is this? Luddite-sidian?

-Elwood Blues

I'll change up one day soon. I figure this thing will break or do the tube-fade thing too badly and so I keep looking for an LCD that'll do.

Not many CRT's for sale anymore.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

• 1 month later...

Hey Walsh, just curious if you're still as happy with (or happier) your monitor after some time has passed.

Ghosting with games or fast-motioned video all right?

My CRT's contrast is fading slowly away and I'm becoming more desperate about making a LCD choice. The Gateway FHD2401 reviews aren't too bad either.

I think I may just have to go the "buy it/return it/buy it/return it" 10 times route...

20'000:1 and 2ms? Turn off dynamic contrast and overdrive, you might be less disappointed then without that "quality improving" features. Tfts are always a thing to read A LOT about before buying.

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Me no speak english, apparently... What I meant to say was: "Turn off dynamic contrast and overdrive, you might be less disappointed than with these "quality improving" features enabled"

I switched to a 22" Widescreen LCD with 20000:1 contrast ratio and 2ms response time for $350 AUD.

I miss my CRT. The quality just isn't the same.

Such over-inflated contrast numbers don't always mean the best picture.

From what I've read/heard, calibrating the LCD monitors (sometimes you have to download stuff) are really important to make them as good as they can be. Out-of-the-box isn't going to make me happy, I'm sure. I'll be spending hours fiddling with calibration, when I get one. And even then I'm sure I'll think the CRT's are still better in some areas.

I'm first going to try some of the cheaper ones I can return easily, like the Scepters (that I liked the display of in the store) or other $300 brands. It's becoming difficult to find a large selection in any store. They'll have one LG, one Dell, etc. on display. Maybe they'll be fine.

If not, I'll go for the pricey Multisync's, screw it.

Edited by LadyCrimson

20'000:1 and 2ms? Turn off dynamic contrast and overdrive, you might be less disappointed then without that "quality improving" features. Tfts are always a thing to read A LOT about before buying.

Cheers, I'll try that.

Edit: couldn't find 'dynamic contrast'. I set Overdrive to 0 from 60.

Edited by Krezack

My CRT died on me!!! What will I do now? Proper CRTs are, now, almost impossible to find, and my budget is rather limited. I'm probably going to have to buy a 100

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I'd just like to say that I regret nothing about buying this huge goddamn monitor. I love it. And want to have its babies.

-Elwood Blues

What did you wind up getting. I'm looking at Samsung's syncmaster series, it's supposed to be quality and value for money, I don't know which one to get though. Is 5 ns fast enough, do I need 2 ns for gaming. Is a smaller number better. What resolution is the best choice, well more is always better, but some resolutions are a bit unpractical. I know nothing of these things.

I have a little spare cash, and I though it was about time to leave 1024x768 and flicker effects behind.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I'm looking at Samsung's syncmaster series, it's supposed to be quality and value for money, I don't know which one to get though.
Yep, people like them. Make sure you google for its name and 'input lag' first, though, as some Samsungs are notoriously slow in recations, which will make you miss in shooters all the time.
Is 5 ns fast enough, do I need 2 ns for gaming.
5ns is easily fast enough, but smaller numbers often also mean newer panel, which is a good thing, sometimes. Be sure to check if those numbers are achieved using 'Overdrive' though, as this technique again causes input lag and some enervating ghosting. Also, such small numbers mean you're probably looking at TN-panels. If you like good colour reproduction, be sure to check reviews that take a look at that. TN panels are not the best choice for image quality, but they're fast (thus good for gaming) and cheap.
What resolution is the best choice, well more is always better, but some resolutions are a bit unpractical. I know nothing of these things.
I'd currently go with 24" or bigger with 1920x1080 for full HD on 16:9 screens or 1920x1200 on 16:10 screens. You'll need a relatively fast computer to run games at the native resolution though. If going 30" 16:10, 2560:1600 is standard size.
flicker effects
Unless your monitor is broken, fickering is more likely to be caused by a broken cable or graphics card.

Concerning "Full HD" etc: Both monitor and graphics card must offer support HDCP to see HD material on your PC. On a 16:10 screen, you'll obviously have small black bars at the top and the bottom if watching a 16:9 movie. Otoh, many movies are even wider, so you'll have to live with black bars even on a 16:9 screen (unless you use pan&scan in which case you're doomed anyway :lol:)

Edited by samm

Wow, prices go insane in the increments after 24'

24 tomme TFT aktiv matriks / 1920 x 1200 / 5 ms / 300 cd/m2 / 1000:1 / 60 Hz / 164 MHz / 0.27 mm dpi / VGA / DVI / LY

1988.kr.

30 tomme TFT aktiv matriks / 2560 x 1600 / 6 ms / 250 cd/m2 / 1000:1 / 0.25 mm dpi / DVI / USB

27.677 kr

27.677.kr

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Wow, prices go insane in the increments after 24'

Yeah, I've noticed that too. :verymad:

Part of that is after you get above 24" screens you start getting into the higher quality panels. Most 24" and smaller screens use much cheaper TN panels while above 24" you're more likely to find MVA/PVA and IPS panels.