Cannot Install KotOR II

Hi,

I'm trying to install a German version of KotOR II on my English XP, and I keep getting a data error called "cyclic redundancy check" on disk two, file data3.cab

After I hit ok, the setup closes, and there is no trace of the game otherwise.

System Requirements, if needed, are:

1.6 GHz Intel Atom

1.99 GB RAM

Chipset: 945GSE+ ICH7-M

Intergrated Graphics: Intel GMA950

Just FYI, its the MSI Wind Notebook

Hi,

I'm trying to install a German version of KotOR II on my English XP, and I keep getting a data error called "cyclic redundancy check" on disk two, file data3.cab

An educated guess is that the German version of the game requires a file that is not contained in the English version of XP - probably some sort of copy protection to prevent people from buying the game in Germany and selling it on in Britain. Get an English version of the game, that should work. (Current cost of K2 in Britain is around

Hi,

After I hit ok, the setup closes, and there is no trace of the game otherwise.

Yeah, I think that 'cyclic redundancy error' is another way of saying that your disc is damaged. Since it's the second one, I'd suggest you borrow one from a friend (since you only need it for installation), or possibly buy another copy if that's not a burden. Don't mix up the discs of different language though!

This happens with my second disk all the time. All I had to do to get around it was copy the contents of the disk to a directory on my hard drive and when the install asks for the disk, I point it at that directory. I don't know if it really makes a difference, but I did name the directory the same as the label on the disk.

BTW - CRC errors don't always mean a bad disk, sometimes they can be an indication of a bad CD/DVD drive or its connecting cable. If you have had any disk read errors with any other disks, then that is a very likely suspect for the cause of this particular error. Unfortunately, the only way to fix a bad drive or cable is by replacing it.

Edited by cogadh

Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the dogs of War!

userbar2kq0.jpg

cogadh.jpeg