Nobody cares about AP...

I agree with you, Seraphael but why did you reply to the post at first? :p You should have ignored it.

Despite how much I hate to admit it, I guess I'm a little bit anal retentive myself. >_<

Edited by Seraphael

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

The comments were largely positive, though many people wanted a sequel to Torment.

Yes. Yes, I do.

Unless Chris Avellone is dead set against writing a sequel, then I think a Torment sequel would sell crateloads.

Will there be crates?

Has no publisher expressed an interest in picking up a Torment sequel?

23u4g7t.jpg

The comments were largely positive, though many people wanted a sequel to Torment.

Yes. Yes, I do.

Unless Chris Avellone is dead set against writing a sequel, then I think a Torment sequel would sell crateloads.

Will there be crates?

Has no publisher expressed an interest in picking up a Torment sequel?

A Torment sequel is the worst idea I've ever heard; the plot is finished, let the game rest in peace. Now, another RPG using Torment's formula is an entirely different story...

20795.jpg

Kotaku and Joystiq picked up the last Dev Diary. The comments were largely positive, though many people wanted a sequel to Torment.

Yep. Everyone wants another Torment. The question is only how you could make a sequel without messing up the story.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

It would be lucky to sell as much as NWN2, games like this (NWN2 DA:O etc) will never be huge sellers. I'd be surprised if a torment sequel hits over 1 mil even if it got 10s across all major outlets(which doubtful).

AP on the other hand will hit at least 1 mil, with scores of 7-8, if it got 10s.....

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

You are underestimating the popularity of these games. NWN, NWN2, KOTOR, etc all scored sales in the millions comfortably. In fact if someone could somehow count it all up persistent sales for PS:T would already have reached 1mil by now.

Another RPG set in the Planescape universe is totally acceptable (that would be awesome), but a sequel to Torment is completely unnecessary and should never ever happen. There's nothing left to say, it's over.

Also, a Torment 2 in today's gaming industry... yeah, I don't see it selling too well, not outside the established fanbase. Not to mention that it would have to be radically different as a game, and probably get rid of the very things that made Torment so great, like the walls upon walls of superbly written dialog lines, wrapped in equally superb descriptive text.

Any talk of a Torment sequel is preposterous anyway, the Planescape campaign setting is dead. And perhaps it's for the best, because greedy publishers can't get their hands on it, and ruin it. See what happened to Fallout...

Edited by fastpunk

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

...the very things that made Torment so great, like the walls upon walls of superbly written dialog lines, wrapped in equally superb descriptive text.

This, an oxymoron, don't you think? Reading/playing Planescape: Torment is like going through a rough draft, before any editing has occurred. Where a good author needs ten lines of text, a great author uses one.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

For all the massive quantities of text it had, though, I thought it had very little pointless filter. It did challenge you to invest yourself in reading, but once you did, you were rarely disappointed.

For all the massive quantities of text it had, though, I thought it had very little pointless filter. It did challenge you to invest yourself in reading, but once you did, you were rarely disappointed.

+1

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

It had a ton of filler. Maybe not so much in content, but it was extremely wordy.

Ignus was just a ton of annoying babble. And things like Reekwind's unending spew about hsi farting problem.

PS:T seemed to me a prime example of an author falling in love with their own preciousness.

Its too bad, too, becuase it diluted all the good stuff that was in there.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Reekwind's backstory was fantastic, and he felt very believable precisely because he ranted so much. With certain stats you were able to uncover his entire narrative within a single dialogue session, but it didn't feel shallow or gimmicky thanks to the right balance of ranting and flashes of regret and shame. PS:T is great in the sense that commiserating with Reekwind brought no tangible benefits or consequences at all, but you really empathised, rather than Generic Help Me Please Man #3 in a random KOTOR city.

Ignus suffered from content cuts, I believe, and yes did not advance enough beyond FIRE FIRE. He is still incomparable to, say, Qara - the dialogue with his partner in the Smouldering Corpse bar, your memory of once teaching Ignus magic and scalding his hands in fire (or is that Ignus' memory?) - all good.

It was wordy. There was a lot of filler. But that 'filler' was mostly very good in fleshing out the world and rewarding you on its own right, unlike much of the filler talk in games like NWN1/2 OC and Oblivion. Despite being much less 'wordy' they felt a lot more 'wordy', insofar as the boredom and other disadvantages of pointless verbosity goes.

To retain a semblance of respect to the original topic: I would expect shorter and sharper dialogue than any BIS/Bio/Obs game to date in this title because of the setting, and I have no problem with that. Some of the lines we've seen sound pretty good; others sound fairly standard. I feel the success of AP's dialogue will have a lot to do with the real in-game consequences the game delivers; if you really have that going on, AP's short "cliche" lines will really have impact. If not, they will only serve to make the dialogue seem more artificial.

I fear that a sequel to Torment would be like Godfather III - An idea that leaves you feel all warm inside until you realize that the warm feeling is nothing but nostalgia.

Exactly my point. You want another game, but you can't touch the story because that would turn out as a mess.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Reekwind's backstory was fantastic, and he felt very believable precisely because he ranted so much. With certain stats you were able to uncover his entire narrative within a single dialogue session, but it didn't feel shallow or gimmicky thanks to the right balance of ranting and flashes of regret and shame. PS:T is great in the sense that commiserating with Reekwind brought no tangible benefits or consequences at all, but you really empathised, rather than Generic Help Me Please Man #3 in a random KOTOR city.

Ignus suffered from content cuts, I believe, and yes did not advance enough beyond FIRE FIRE. He is still incomparable to, say, Qara - the dialogue with his partner in the Smouldering Corpse bar, your memory of once teaching Ignus magic and scalding his hands in fire (or is that Ignus' memory?) - all good.

It was wordy. There was a lot of filler. But that 'filler' was mostly very good in fleshing out the world and rewarding you on its own right, unlike much of the filler talk in games like NWN1/2 OC and Oblivion. Despite being much less 'wordy' they felt a lot more 'wordy', insofar as the boredom and other disadvantages of pointless verbosity goes.

To retain a semblance of respect to the original topic: I would expect shorter and sharper dialogue than any BIS/Bio/Obs game to date in this title because of the setting, and I have no problem with that. Some of the lines we've seen sound pretty good; others sound fairly standard. I feel the success of AP's dialogue will have a lot to do with the real in-game consequences the game delivers; if you really have that going on, AP's short "cliche" lines will really have impact. If not, they will only serve to make the dialogue seem more artificial.

DOn't get wrong. I think Torment was a fine games as it was. I wish there were more games like it.

But just as Oblivion and FO3 can be cited as examples of crpg-type games which suffer from too little emphasis on dialogue, I think PS:T can be cited as a crpg-type game that places too much emphasis on it.

I think FO1 and 2 and BG1 and 2 are better examples of a reasonable amount of dialogue for a crpg.

I hope AP falls into that category as well.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I think FO1 and 2 and BG1 and 2 are better examples of a reasonable amount of dialogue for a crpg.

I've only completed it twice, but I could have sworn that BG1 was very "wordy", not to mention more easter eggs and real world references than even FO2.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I hate to say it, but this game has only inspired a 'meh' from me. >_<

Also, a Torment 2 in today's gaming industry... yeah, I don't see it selling too well, not outside the established fanbase.

Right. It's like Fallout 1/2; another Fallout game sounds good, but outside of the established fanbase no one would buy it. :p

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I've not been too excited about AP, to be honest. But, I'll give the game a try to see how it plays out, and I like OE (so it's like LucasArts, I even bought Force Commander, urgh)

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Also, a Torment 2 in today's gaming industry... yeah, I don't see it selling too well, not outside the established fanbase.

Right. It's like Fallout 1/2; another Fallout game sounds good, but outside of the established fanbase no one would buy it. :)

:p

It would have been nice if you'd have read my post beyond that sentence you quoted.

"Not to mention that it would have to be radically different as a game, and probably get rid of the very things that made Torment so great" is what I said after that.

This applies to FO3. It's radically different when compared to FO1/2, not only in terms of game mechanics, but also in tone. In other words, it changed to adapt to the new requirements of the market. If it had preserved the core game mechanics and tone of the original FO, the situation would be quite different.

Edited by fastpunk

A remake of Torment could sell well I think, if made correctly. With full voice-over, great animations that would retake all the descriptions that were in the dialogue in the original (THAT would take a chunk off the length of text in the game...), better fight system, better class and customization system that would enable each class to be useful and fun to play, etc.

It seems that today, a lot of gamers like the "movie" kind of game, as well as flashy graphics and "impressive" power. Man, was Torment full of them! It ever dumbed down the fight system in order to be prettier and enable JRPG-like spells!

Leave Torment as is. Its nice to play a game that more the like an interactive book than an interactive movie. I'd hate to see Torment with dynamic conversation camera shots like in ME.

I would how ever like a new Planescape game. Other than WoD, I dont think there is another setting better made for deep, thought provoking dialogue and ideas.