Nobody cares about AP...

I think that so far it's looking solidly entertaining. However, I don't see a lot of things that I recognize as jumping out towards fanboys (being a seasoned fanboy myself), and there are barely any points of major criticism. So the vocal minority doesn't have much to comment on. This is not neccesarily a bad thing.

• 2 weeks later...

I think a more important marketing issue needs to be addressed. All the other major upcoming releases have already posted April Fools trailers for their games. Falling down on the April first rush would without doubt result in AP being a commercial disaster.

I made another prefab post for all y'all.

There was another developer diary that leaked (came out?) today, but it's not on youtube at the moment as far as I know. Still, some people got some screenshots of character creation (ME-like) / item management (Hitman-like).
[url=http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/1452/ap1.jpg]1[/url]
[url=http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/4979/ap3.jpg]2[/url]
[url=http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/1027/ap4.jpg]3[/url]
[url=http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/4749/ap5.jpg]4[/url]
[url=http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/6017/ap6.jpg]5[/url]
[url=http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/9757/ap7.jpg]6[/url]
[url=http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/2285/ap8.jpg]7[/url]
[url=http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/8030/ap9.jpg]8[/url]

(this assumes the forum you're using uses php)

The thread I started in my other forum has reached 1500 hits, which is pretty okay I would think. I figure at least 500 are unique. Pimp the game already, it could have an impact.

Edited by Pop

It's not a definite sign of failure...

Thank you for that. :)

I care.

Me too. :sorcerer:

I have no idea how games are marketed or how you get your game 'talked about'. It would be interesting to find out - does anyone know of any articles on the interweb about such things?

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

It's not a definite sign of failure...

Thank you for that. :)

I care.

Me too. :)

I have no idea how games are marketed or how you get your game 'talked about'. It would be interesting to find out - does anyone know of any articles on the interweb about such things?

Gaming websites and forums such as gamefaqs, gametrailers, and IGN are pretty major, though obviously not the entire gaming demographic. I'd say the primary thing that gets people on these forums talking about a new franchise or standalone title is the release of trailers and gameplay footage. Whether they're saying bad things or good things, it's PR. If you ask me, most people on those sites simply aren't impressed by some wacko Obsidian fan raving about how great it's going to be unsolicited. If there's a video of some sort it's an actual product of sorts that people can comment on that provides a starting point, from which things inevitably devolve into a general discussion of the game.

As far as gamers who do no research on the interwebs and read no gaming magazines . . . well, I can't really imagine what would guide their buying decisions. Word of mouth from people who do? TV commercials and public ads (I once saw a bus with a Left 4 Dead ad on it) also help, but few games have that kind of marketing budget.

Edited by Cl_Flushentityhero

Fun things to point out in the trailer (Yes, I'm a jerk and love to burst people's hopes :) )

-All of the weapons the people are carrying in-game are without magazines

-No bullet cases ejected when guns are fired

-Mike's arms are weirdly twisted inwards when gliding downward the ropeline

Just fixed those issues.

Let me get back to sleeping. I'm tired...

Honestly i think nobody cares about AP because Obsidian have got a reputation for making buggy and unfinished games..it is as simple as that sadly.

Hey, you obviously cared enough about Alpha Protocol to register on the site...ironically to tell us that you don't care.

Albeit I do share your concerns about Obsidian's trackrecord with premature...releases, I personally think Alpha Protocol looks very interesting. It's an RPG in a different setting and with a much better combat system than we traditionally see in the genre.

I highly anticipate this game.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Honestly i think nobody cares about AP because Obsidian have got a reputation for making buggy and unfinished games..it is as simple as that sadly.

What we've seen so far from Obsidian are two games based on another company's framework (not counting expansion packs). Alpha Protocol is Obsidian's first attempt at their own technology (well, their own base modification of Unreal tech at least) and their own IP.

Normally I would say that those two facts would bring more passion and personal sacrifice into the project than doing a sequel for someone else's IP, but after reading M. Markland's leaving comments of "Business is business", I'm not really sure how much of a work of passion there is left in computer game design.

Anyhow, I have high hopes for this game. Aside from some small design decisions I'm not sure I agree with, I have high hopes for this game. It sounds like something I would greatly enjoy.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Hey, you obviously cared enough about Alpha Protocol to register on the site...ironically to tell us that you don't care.

I don't think that was what he meant at all. If you're going to zing somebody, at least do it right.

Cooper's point is a valid one. I rabidly enjoyed KOTOR2 and NWN2, but the rest of the world did not share my enthusiasm. They also had the momentum of already-popular franchises going for them, whereas AP has to generate its own popularity.

I don't think that was what he meant at all. If you're going to zing somebody, at least do it right.

Cooper's point is a valid one. I rabidly enjoyed KOTOR2 and NWN2, but the rest of the world did not share my enthusiasm. They also had the momentum of already-popular franchises going for them, whereas AP has to generate its own popularity.

You are quite correct.

I also played Kotor 2 and NWN2 until the skin of my fingers fell off, This is primary because i Liked Kotor and Love D&D, This also made me overlook the tons of bugs in the two games combined.

BUT with AP i am vary , I simply do not believe Obsidian will produce something i will consider playable, I'm not saying a game should be bug free at launch, I have no illusions like that, But there bugs and then there BUGS, The first are a minor inconvenience the latter ruins the game, I simply have no reason to believe that this game will also be full of the latter.

Until i get some very positive feedback AP is simply not that interesting to me, And i would wager I'm not the only one feeling like this.

But all that said and done i truly hope i am wrong...

Edited by Cooperblack

You are quite correct.

I also played Kotor 2 and NWN2 until the skin of my fingers fell off, This is primary because i Liked Kotor and Love D&D, This also made me overlook the tons of bugs in the two games combined.

BUT with AP i am vary , I simply do not believe Obsidian will produce something i will consider playable, I'm not saying a game should be bug free at launch, I have no illusions like that, But there bugs and then there BUGS, The first are a minor inconvenience the latter ruins the game, I simply have no reason to believe that this game will also be full of the latter.

Until i get some very positive feedback AP is simply not that interesting to me, And i would wager I'm not the only one feeling like this.

KoToR 2 wasn't really buggy, it just had a lot of content cut. NWN 2 had bugs problems, but I think OBS got most of the content they wanted in, the main problem with NWN 2 was performance.

Edited by Bos_hybrid
cylon_basestar_eye.gif

You are quite correct.

KoToR 2 wasn't really buggy, it just had a lot of content cut. NWN 2 had bugs problems, but I think OBS got most of the content they wanted in, the main problem with NWN 2 was performance.

Hmm have you seen the bug list for NWN2 here two and a half years After it's release?

No wait let me give a simple example - The latest expansion (storm of zehir) was released with NPC's not even having the Feats they should (something i could do in 5 minutes using NWN2's own Toolset) - like i said , There bugs and then there is BUGS.

It all comes down to if i have the confidence in Obsidian to deliver something i would find playable, And as it is i have no confidence in that sadly.

But there bugs and then there BUGS, The first are a minor inconvenience the latter ruins the game, I simply have no reason to believe that this game will also be full of the latter.

Your feat example is in fact, an example of a rather tame bug. I'm not wanting to defend Obsidian here because I agree they need to improve on this, and we should be setting our sights high... but it wasn't a case of Obsidian being markedly inferior to other RPGs in terms of bugs.

Morrowind? Oh dear God, so many people could not play it for weeks after launch. Bethesda got better and FO3 was a remarkably stable game for its size, though.

Play Gothic 3 and you will understand the meaning of 'playable'. It froze every 60 seconds, took longer to save & load than for you to drink a cuppa, etc.

All Troika Games, obviously, need a mention.

Bio's become pretty good with this with Jade Empire and Mass Effect, so that people have forgotten about the aberration that was NWN1 (as bad as 2, really.)

I don't think Obsidian has a fatal reputation for being buggy, but it is certainly seen as below the standard on that area.

Heh, I zinged him just right. No matter what he meant, he did register on the boards in order to post that nobody cares about the game. I call that pretty ironic.

As for the actual merit of his post; I redirect you my post and its second part you neglected to quote: "...I do share your concerns about Obsidian's trackrecord with premature...releases". So we are all basically in agreement.

If you gonna zing me, do it right. ;)

On the subject of bugs; they might want to take a look at their (UK) official site. Clicking Media generates randomly placed photographs often blocking the links on the side. In addition, Gameplay #1 trailer in the video section is apparently bugged too. The picture freezes between 1:19 and 1:47. At least for me (Vista 32bit+firefox). Ok, ok! To be fair SEGA is responsible for the that site, but a bug is a bug and it doesn't reflect well on the upcoming game.

Edited by Seraphael

Heh, I zinged him just right. No matter what he meant, he did register on the boards in order to post that nobody cares about the game. I call that pretty ironic.

Except that is not at all how you phrased your supposedly insightful "zinger." It was rude, which is why I called you out on it. It was also, contrary to your claims, neither clever nor funny based on the original post.

Except that is not at all how you phrased your supposedly insightful "zinger." It was rude, which is why I called you out on it. It was also, contrary to your claims, neither clever nor funny based on the original post.

Anal retentive much? It was a casual and obvious observation on my behalf not intended to be rude, nor dazzle to you with wit or humour. Though you certainly could benefit from either.

As for the actual merit of his post; I redirect you my post and its second part you neglected to quote: "...I do share your concerns about Obsidian's trackrecord with premature...releases". So we are all basically in agreement.

If you gonna zing me, do it right. ;)

On the subject of bugs; they might want to take a look at their (UK) official site. Clicking Media generates randomly placed photographs often blocking the links on the side. In addition, Gameplay #1 trailer in the video section is apparently bugged too. The picture freezes between 1:19 and 1:47. At least for me (Vista 32bit+firefox). Ok, ok! To be fair SEGA is responsible for the that site, but a bug is a bug and it doesn't reflect well on the upcoming game.

Except you forgot one little detail, I did not make this topic, I made a visit to this forum and found a topic i felt a inclination to voice my opinion about.. but as i can understand you consider this wrong... ehh why is that?

But there bugs and then there BUGS, The first are a minor inconvenience the latter ruins the game, I simply have no reason to believe that this game will also be full of the latter.

Your feat example is in fact, an example of a rather tame bug. I'm not wanting to defend Obsidian here because I agree they need to improve on this, and we should be setting our sights high... but it wasn't a case of Obsidian being markedly inferior to other RPGs in terms of bugs.

Morrowind? Oh dear God, so many people could not play it for weeks after launch. Bethesda got better and FO3 was a remarkably stable game for its size, though.

Play Gothic 3 and you will understand the meaning of 'playable'. It froze every 60 seconds, took longer to save & load than for you to drink a cuppa, etc.

All Troika Games, obviously, need a mention.

Bio's become pretty good with this with Jade Empire and Mass Effect, so that people have forgotten about the aberration that was NWN1 (as bad as 2, really.)

I don't think Obsidian has a fatal reputation for being buggy, but it is certainly seen as below the standard on that area.

I could have choose a whole host of other bugs, But i chose the missing Feats because i feel this bug mostly describes the state NWN2 is in.

Imagine that - making NPC characters, Design them, Discuss them with your coworkers ..and then "forget" to give them the right Feats, i Mean in NWN2 you could just as well forget to give them arms or legs, Espeassialy since it is so unbeliverble easy to assign Feats.

Except you forgot one little detail, I did not make this topic, I made a visit to this forum and found a topic i felt a inclination to voice my opinion about.. but as i can understand you consider this wrong... ehh why is that?

In the danger of further derailing this thread; I don't consider it wrong at all. Not that it matters whether you started the tread or not, that you took care and time enough to register to the site specifically to post that you didn't care about the game is in itself ironic. It was just a casual remark which I apparently deserve to burn in effigy for. ;)

For what it matters, I think we can agree that Obsidian get the attention (or lack there of) that they deserve. Having managed to build a bit tarnished reputation on premature releases (either with bugs, cut content or both), I suspect many people have adopted a wait and see policy. Also, I suspect many preceive Obsidian as being somewhat the red haired step child of Bioware and having both companies release their games in the same period of time (afaik) will no doubt steal some of Alpha Protocol's thunder.

Edited by Seraphael

In the danger of further derailing this thread; I don't consider it wrong at all. Not that it matters whether you started the tread or not, that you took care and time enough to register to the site specifically to post that you didn't care about the game is in itself ironic. It was just a casual remark which I apparently deserve to burn in effigy for. ;)

I have every game Obsidian have made, I have every game with the Black Ilse label on it, is it that strange that i took a look at Obsidian's newest release and voiced my opinion as to why i am apprehensive about it, And honestly registration takes 30 sec ..it's not even a chore.

For what it matters, I think we can agree that Obsidian get the attention (or lack there of) that they deserve. Having managed to build a bit tarnished reputation on premature releases (either with bugs, cut content or both), I suspect many people have adopted a wait and see policy. Also, I suspect many preceive Obsidian as being somewhat the red haired step child of Bioware and having both companies release their games in the same period of time (afaik) will no doubt steal some of Alpha Protocol's thunder.

In all honesty i think AP have to be the second coming of sliced bread before it gets noticed.

Kotaku and Joystiq picked up the last Dev Diary. The comments were largely positive, though many people wanted a sequel to Torment.

Oh Jimmy, you were so funny.

Don't let me down.

From habit he lifts his watch; it shows him its blank face.

Zero hour, Snowman thinks. Time to go.