Recommend me some DS games!

Morgoth

So, in order to restore my inner juvenile self (and to kill idle time while in train) I ordered a petty DS Lite today, and also bought some used games at ebay (Castlevania, Metroid Prime Hunter, Clone Wars).

I'm also thinking of getting these games later: Sonic Chronicles, Civilization Revolution, Zelda Phantom Hourglass.

Are these games good? Any other stuff you think is fun to play?

Also, I want System Shock 1 ported to the DS.

Sonic Chronicles is probably horrible unless you need to buy absolutely every Bioware game.

CivRev is Civ on the go, which sounds pretty good. Might be a bit simplified/streamlined compared to Civ4, though.

Phantom Hourglass is pretty neat. Depends on how much you like Zelda gameplay. It's stylus only, and works pretty well.

There are tons of DS games to recommend, it really depends what you feel like playing, or what you'll absolutely refuse to play.

If you like one of the Castlevanias, there are two others available as well.

If you want a manly man's game, get Contra 4. If you want to be a ninja chopping things to bits, Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword is also pretty good; that one's also stylus gameplay.

Edited by Llyranor

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Warhammer is apparently not very good.

Haven't played Sonic myself, but impressions seem to be generally pretty negative. If you want a JRPG-style game, there are better choices on DS. If you want a Final Fantasy, FF4 is a good pick, for starters.

I like Castlevania quite a lot. Some people will complain that the series is starting to feel a bit old, but if you've never played them before, the three games will feel pretty fresh, and the gameplay/bosses are pretty fun. Combines action-adventuring/platforming with some RPG elements.

I'm not sure how good Metroid Prime Hunters actually is. I mean, it emulates FPS controls with a stylus. And, IIRC, it was more of a tech demo than anything. It's nothing like the console Metroid Primes.

You also have access to the rich GBA library, thanks to backwards compatibility.

Hadescopy.jpg

Advance Wars is awesome TBS, yep. I've only played the first DS one, though (some, possible Morgie ;), will complain about the kiddy art). Days of Ruin remains unplayed in my massive backlog.

Puzzle Quest is also awesome, good mix of puzzle/Bejewelled and RPG elements. Haven't picked up Galactrix yet (if it's even out already). There are PC versions anyway.

Hadescopy.jpg

I would recommend Advance Wars(both of them), Fire Emblem, Disgaea and Final Fantasy Tactics A2 if you like turn-based strategy games. It's a great genre for a portable system.

If you want to really get your money's worth try some of the longer RPGs like Final Fantasy III, IV or Chrono Trigger.

The DS also has some great adventure games like Hotel Dusk and the Phonenix Wright series.

Edited by Purkake

Wow, I can't believe there's even a "M" rated DS game out there. Dementium: The Ward

Yeah, it's ok. I don't think first person shooter-y games work all that well on the DS, though.

Chrono Trigger looks so Animaygayish, but from the videos it looks like it has some solid gameplay. Hmm...

Chrono Trigger is one of the best JRPGs(right after Tales of Phantasia and Earthbound) on the SNES, it has a great story with time traveling and multiple endings(12+ IIRC). If you haven't played it and have any desire to play JRPGs, get it NOW!

Edited by Purkake

I don't think someone who uses the term animaygayish is interested in JRPG's.

Advance Wars is not really anime-ish at all. You've got tanks, choppers, and jets fighting for control of a post-apocalyptic wasteland.

I don't think someone who uses the term animaygayish is interested in JRPG's.

Advance Wars is not really anime-ish at all. You've got tanks, choppers, and jets fighting for control of a post-apocalyptic wasteland.

Advance Wars is a bit anime-ish, but not overly so.

If JRPGs are out, I'd highly recommend Hotel Dusk. The film noir presentation and story are really good. It also utilizes the DS's every feature to make some innovating puzzles AND it has dialog choices.

4444-HotelDusk019.jpg

Edited by Purkake

Well, you're stuck with JRPGs if you want turn-based RPGs.

There are Worms games on DS. Skip the first one (limited gameplay, apparently), and get Worms: Open Warfare 2.

Hotel Dusk was an interesting game, but I found the actual gameplay itself somewhat lacking.

Maybe the new Fire Emblem DS could work, since they replaced the usual anime art with CG-like portraits instead.

Hadescopy.jpg

I haven't played it but I've heard massive amounts of praise for The World Ends With You. It could be something to try if you want to try out JRPGs.

How are you feeling about point and click adventure games? The pheonix wright games and hotel dusk are supposedly really good.

Worms Open Warfare 2?

Etrian Odyssey is horribly animoo-gay but also a really good dungeon crawler if you can stomach some grinding and JRPG combat.

Racing games?

Edited by Moatilliatta
sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

Is there anything you do like? :lol:

I seem to remember that there are two Call of Duty DS games and seem to remember that they're supposedly quite good action games.

Edit: Zelda action adventure thingy?

Yes, I already said I consider Zelda. And have you played Civilization Revolution?

Have to look into these CoD games...

Man...so many games.

So... Mariokart?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "