Hey Bok...

To Bokishi and all the other enthusiasts out there:

WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?!

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

They're dumbing down the engine for consoles.

More like rebranding FreeRadical's engine.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

I'm not sure what else can they add for Cryengine 3 though. You got to use ultra realistic textures, you have dynamic lights and shadows, you got insane physics for most vegetations, madz real looking water, lolwtf sound quality.

I guess this one's just for further optimizations for licensing or console compatible. Otherwise its simply more of the same.

Edited by Zoma

I'm not sure what else can they add for Cryengine 3 though. You got to use ultra realistic textures, you have dynamic lights and shadows, you got insane physics for most vegetations, madz real looking water, lolwtf sound quality.

I guess this one's just for further optimizations for licensing or console compatible. Otherwise its simply more of the same.

Heads and faces could use some work.

20795.jpg

Epic has been working on Unreal Engine 4 for some time now, that Crytek is future proofing shouldnt be a surpise?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Faces. Thats alot in the "Im a programmer and animation is an artist thingie, so Im not going to implement that vertex weight algorithm you need so the skin wont crumple like it was made of pancakes" area :w00t:

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Faces. Thats alot in the "Im a programmer and animation is an artist thingie, so Im not going to implement that vertex weight algorithm you need so the skin wont crumple like it was made of pancakes" area :w00t:

... Explain "Animation Programmer"?

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

...Explain "Animation Programmer"?

Yeah, thats the guy who goes "I know merging all the animation in a single file along the same timeline will cause every single animation to break and have to be retouched by hand, but I dont really care. See ya!" :w00t:

I dunno man.

If Hollywood have yet to manage surpassing the uncanny valley without the need to use dozens of computer just to process a thirty second image, I'm not sure if games are ready to break through the line just yet.

is having photo-realisitc faces going to make the games any better? Or is just a giant waste of time and money?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

If you have a game thats heavy on character-driven story and cinematics, you have to have believable characters. Resident Evil 5 has some really good face and.. actually the whole game is extremely pretty. The in-engine realtime cutscenes are almost on par with earlier CG films like "FF: Spirits within"

I dunno man.

If Hollywood have yet to manage surpassing the uncanny valley without the need to use dozens of computer just to process a thirty second image, I'm not sure if games are ready to break through the line just yet.

Make that hundreds of computers per frame. A year ago, ILMs rendefarm was at around 5000 processors including available workstations, and they expand that all the time. In games, you cant do it properly so you have to "cheat" to get results.

I'm just asking the question. :w00t:

There are quite a few people on this forum who still play Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment. And others. I don't think they are still playing them after all these years because of the photo-realistic faces.

Great gameplay creates great ganmes; great graphics creates magazine covers.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.