Health risks

Walsingham

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7937382.stm

best risk article I've read in ages. I felt immensely cheered.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I seem to recall (although I cannot locate) an article arguing that the effectiveness of pharmaceuticals should be expressed in a similar fashion. The point being that the marginal increase in effectiveness between an older, cheaply available generic drug and the updated, still-patented version is usually far more miniscule than the pharmaceutical manufacturer implies in its advertising.

Interesting. Although, I fear that is slightly different. If you know you already have the diease, then a 20% improvement on your odds is good. It's only from the NHS' perspective that it looks less attractive.

BTW, I'm just having my medicinal 1 unit of alcohol.

Blast, it's finished. I guess I'll have to have another. It tastes delicious.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7937382.stm

best risk article I've read in ages. I felt immensely cheered.

That's pretty cool. It'll never happen though. Manipulating statistics is what makes money.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I was referring to claims that "new, patented X treatment is 15% more effective than old, patent-lapsed Y treatment." If treatment X's effect was to reduce the incidence further problems (e.g., heart attacks) by 20%, then only 3 people out of every hundred treatment Y users are getting any benefit for the additional cost.

And here in the States, where people often end up paying for their own prescription drugs (or are in small private insurance pools where increases in others' costs result in higher premiums and deductibles you pay), the considerations of cost are quite relevant.

indeed, relative risks are the most oft abused statistics, though i don't think it is necessarily the fault of those using/abusing them.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

And that's why I'm in favor of moderation, not abstinence.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm in favor of government-controlled mandatory abstinence.

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

I'm in favor of government-controlled mandatory abstinence.

And you are probably going to get it the way things are going.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell