Problems with my old playstation

ramza

I am talking about the very first playstation (not the PSone, but the first version of it: the big grey rectangular box). I bought it in 1999 and it was the very last console I ever bought. I had a great time with it and I still have some cool multiplayer games that I would like to occasionally play with some friends (like crash team racing).

It is working fine but I am having some technical difficulties with the memory cards. Whenever I insert one, it automatically gets formatted within a couple of days, resulting in a loss of all my savegames. I have a total of 6 memory cards and 4 of them have already been damaged this way. In addition of losing some important saves (like for FFT, where I had spent 100+ hours), I cannot start any new game because I end up losing my saves at some point or another. This is a real problem to me as, even multiplayer games, need saves to unlock new modes, characters, etc.

My console is either too old or broken up, I don't know... Is there a way to fix this or should I give it up?

Any piece of advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance!

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

I intend to use an emulator for solo games, indeed. But my main concern was about multiplayer gaming. Oh well, the playstation is still functional, so I guess we will be playing games with less extras...

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

I intend to use an emulator for solo games, indeed. But my main concern was about multiplayer gaming. Oh well, the playstation is still functional, so I guess we will be playing games with less extras...

You can use two gamepads to have multiplayer. PSX doesn't have online multiplayer, right?

You can use two gamepads to have multiplayer. PSX doesn't have online multiplayer, right?

Yes, I just need 2 gamepads, but I also wanted to unlock some of my games' secret contents. That is why it would be nice if I could fix my memory card issue. However, it is not something that would prevent me from playing with my friends. I would just have some less fun.

Yes, I just need 2 gamepads, but I also wanted to unlock some of my games' secret contents. That is why it would be nice if I could fix my memory card issue. However, it is not something that would prevent me from playing with my friends. I would just have some less fun.

I'm sure you can hack/modify the virtual memory cards or use someone else's saves to get all the bonus content. Also gamepads are dirt cheap, too bad you can't use the PS1 controllers with PCs. Good thing they invented USB.

Sounds like the systems memory controls crapped out on you, that sucker is so old you probably can't get it fixed.. I'd suggest just ebaying a new one for dirt cheap.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I got myself a pretty cheap PS2 last week. It cost me less than ETW. :sorcerer:

But yeah, I really doubt that can be fixed easily now, ramza. It's just too old.

Well, you're in luck!

While Sony had the bright idea of removing PS2 backwards compatibility for all currently manufactured PS3s, they still provide good PS1 emulation.

And it can be yours for only 599 US dollars.

Isn't that right, Warhawk guy?

warhawk.gifps3.gifwarhawk.gif

Besides, the PS3 thread could use more posts.

Edited by Llyranor

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Can't you just use the memory cards and games with a PS2? They are also dirt cheap these days AND you can get a new one that should last for a while.

PS2's in my experiance have formatting issues with saving... when I played only 1 in every 5 saves was actually written correctly, everything else was corrupted. PS1 stand alone is better IMHO.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.