Chris Taylor leading the Fallout MMO project

I popped by the interplay site for the first time in prob 6 months and they have forums and the like running and low and behold Chris Taylor (one of the original FO1 designers) is leading the FO MMO project, code named 'V13'

He also has at least one other of the original FO1 staff as well working with him. Very interesting to say the least.

World of Darkness News

http://www.wodnews.net

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

And, also ancient news. :)

Perhaps, still new to me and that's all that matters :) If you have nothing of substance to say on the matter then why bother?

World of Darkness News

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

News to me too, thanks for the update Harlequin, do you have a link to the story?

Not news post per se just stumbled upon their forums.. http://www.interplay.com/forums/index.php

:)

World of Darkness News

---

- Doreen Valiente

I really don't understand the obsessiveness for creating Fallout MMO on Herve's part.

Its so expensive both in creation and overhead cost, needs to be forever maintained and its always pitting against other established MMO games. Already for the past years we already see failed MMO games with the most recent one being Tabula Rasa that was shut down not long ago. Age of Conan isn't hot anymore along with Matrix Online (Not sure if its even still alive). Only prominent ones we know at present are WoW. And a more niche based game, EVE Online.

I can't really see Fallout 3 being able to carve its own piece of pie in the MMO market since I don't believe there is anything special to differentiate from others other than being a possible WoW with guns game.

The Fallout IP is a pretty good candidiate for a MMORPG though. Especially in light of the recent success of FO3. A lot of people know the name Fallout now who didn't before.

In that sense Beth did Interplay a gigantic favor.

Plus it's a MMORPG world that would offer a real alternative in a landscape dotted (littered) with High Fantasy swords and sorcery MMORPGs.

Only speaking personally, this is the first MMORPG that really has appeal for me. Depending of course, on how it ultimately turns out.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

If they could make a Fallout version of World of Warcraft (streaming maps, gigantic world, highly stylized yet low-tech graphics, lots of content), I'd be very interested. If they make a Conan version (tiny maps with loading times in between, small world, great graphics to no avail, no content after a certain level) they'll end up like Conan: slow, painful, degrading death.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I think the graphics in a Fallout MMORPG would have to be a little less stylized and a little more realistic than WoW. The gameworld is too different for that sort of extreme cartoony approach to work. Cartoon Fallout would pretty much kill my interest right there.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Frankly I'm surprised Interplay has the resources to attempt this, but I wish them the best.

There are a lot of successful MMO's on the market that people seems to forget about. Lord of the Rings Online, Everquest 2, City of Heroes, Eve Online...the list is fairly impressive.

Since when does stylized = cartoon?

WoW = Cartoon

*cough* lol mmos are the bane of pc gaming!!! All mmos suck!!1 It will be Fallout in the name only! IN THE NAME ONLY!!one

Did I do it right?

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

To be on topic, if Fallout online, also known as FOOL, is going to see the light of day to be anywhere near successful should also be carted to the console. There aren't many console MMos and that can be a huge base for Interplay to tap into.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

To be on topic, if Fallout online, also known as FOOL, is going to see the light of day to be anywhere near successful should also be carted to the console. There aren't many console MMos and that can be a huge base for Interplay to tap into.

Dumbing down the game so you can play with a joystick and 5 buttons would do far more harm then good. Console players should stick with that consoles are good for.. fighting, racing, sports and japan anime CRPGs. Lets leave it at that and don't dumb down my PC games because they want to play w/ a game pad and too lazy to use a mouse and kb.

Perhaps harsh but IMO true.

World of Darkness News

---

- Doreen Valiente

"Dumbing down the game so you can play with a joystick and 5 buttons would do far more harm then good. Console players should stick with that consoles are good for.. fighting, racing, sports and japan anime CRPGs. Lets leave it at that and don't dumb down my PC games because they want to play w/ a game pad and too lazy to use a mouse and kb.

Perhaps harsh but IMO true."

Harsh but wrong. Games ar ejust as dumbed down as consoles. Any game that PC can do, console can do just as well. And, likely better since there'll be less bugs. R00fles!

Lets leave it at that and don't dumb down my console games because they want to play w/ a mouse and kb and too lazy to use a game pad.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

You are really loosing your touch V... minus the hyperbole and there's really nothing worth replying too..

World of Darkness News

---

- Doreen Valiente

Dumbing down the game so you can play with a joystick and 5 buttons would do far more harm then good. Console players should stick with that consoles are good for.. fighting, racing, sports and japan anime CRPGs. Lets leave it at that and don't dumb down my PC games because they want to play w/ a game pad and too lazy to use a mouse and kb.

Perhaps harsh but IMO true.

Its a MMO, a game built for the masses. By their very nature MMOs are dumbed down representatives of the gaming genre. Besides, at least onthe XBox 360, you do have a keyboard available. Hooks right onto the controller itself.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

Dumbing down the game so you can play with a joystick and 5 buttons would do far more harm then good.

Excluding straight text input, how many keys and buttons did the original Fallout use?

Also, the PS3/360 have four face buttons, two shoulder buttons, two triggers, a 4-directional (or more) d-pad, two analog sticks, two analog stick buttons, back/select, and start buttons.

It's a bit more than "a joystick and five buttons".

Also, LAWL WHAT DO CONSOLE GAMERS KNOW ABOUT COMPLEX INPUT SYSTEMS?!

Joysticks are much more enjoyable than gamepads, maybe that's just me. I think the thumb controlled thingies lack the proper resistance and feedback to hit the same spot every time. They also tire out your thumbs in a way a joystick doesn't.

Pads are better than a keyboard for games that don't involve aiming though.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Pads are better than a keyboard for games that don't involve aiming though.

It depends, really. Personally, I think strategy console games, like Tactics Ogre or Fire Emblem would work a lot better with a keyboard and mouse setup.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat: