Alpha Protocol on GTTV next Friday

1237033911_ap_01.jpg

1216141299_AP_Screenshot_E32008_01.jpg

Erm. I'm a little worried here. Why is there such a drastic compromise of texture quality between the old screenshot and the new one? Just by looking at the texture sharpness is startling. The new one's looking so washed out. Heck, the old one's looking so much more vibrant and nicer looking than the video's bland style.

What's happening Obsidian?

Edited by Zoma

I'd say it's due to the newer one being the 360 version, but I could be wrong.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I'd say it's due to the newer one being the 360 version, but I could be wrong.

The top picture was taken from the GTTV while the bottom one was a screenshot from the E3 2008 preview.

I don't really think its the matter of resolution itself. It doesn't change the fact that the textures looks so washed out and the color lacking the vibrance.

I presume that's the PS3 version in comparison to the 360 version that is below?

Edited by Zoma

Actually, looking at it again, obviously the top picture is from the PS3 version. I'd like to think that the nicer looking, E3 picture is from the PC version.

Anyway, isn't the PS3 better able to handle larger textures, compared to the 360?

Heja Sverige!!

The second screen is touched up, did you think that's how it would acdtually look?

Also the first screen is form the PS3, the PC version will probably look better than either console version.

Edited by Dakar

The second screen is touched up, did you think that's how it would acdtually look?

Also the first screen is form the PS3, the PC version will probably look better than either console version.

Can you be sure its touched up? I recalled a Dev mentioning that it was taken from in-game footage if I'm not mistaken.

Looks great. Music sounded like a cheap rip-off of the matrix soundtrack, though.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Erm. I'm a little worried here. Why is there such a drastic compromise of texture quality between the old screenshot and the new one? Just by looking at the texture sharpness is startling. The new one's looking so washed out. Heck, the old one's looking so much more vibrant and nicer looking than the video's bland style.

What's happening Obsidian?

One is a compressed video screenshot that was captured through a breakout box, the other is an ordinary screenshot.

Guess which is which.

E: Okay, I won't make you guess. The top one is a compressed video screenshot. I'm 95% sure it was captured using analog component cables through a breakout box, resulting in a loss of contrast and overall quality.

Will there be a difference in texture quality between different platforms?

Heja Sverige!!

Good to hear J.E that the quality remains consistent as last year's. But Obsidian ought should have recorded cleaner quality footage instead of compressed video. Many people in online forums are apparently misunderstanding the graphic quality of the actual game, most regarding it as 'ugly' and 'bland'. Thus its best you guys redistribute a clean footage online asap before the word of mouth spreads unnecessary damage.

On the thought of PC platform, will Obsidian attempt to use PhysX for those peeps with cards capable for it? I don't mind the delay though, otherwise it can be applied with a patch instead.

Since PhysX is a technology Obsidian has yet to try out yet, I thought this may be an opportune moment to learn experience from in its application.

Edited by Zoma

So when MT shoots someone in the head, do I just pick the "aggressive" dialog option?

Edit: Oh, never mind, I see in the screenshot there's actually a shoot option.

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

MT bashing the old man's head in was badass.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Great show. I have seen enough things to make me want to try this game.

Enjoyed lots of weapons, skills and ways to interact with the environment.

I'm a bit skeptical about the dialog but still curious enough to want to give it a try. The few dialogs look well written.

Don't enjoy mini-games and would be more conformable with a button that makes an auto-attempt.

One thing I actually like about the dialogue system (though I'm still definetely a bigger fan of classic system) is that the choices seems to be fairly abstracted. In Mass Effect, there was a sort of "middle-ground" where it kinda tried to describe the content of what Shepard would say, but it often failed in my mind. Just having the option say "Sarcastic" or whatever works better for me. Especially if it provides additional options. Like, I think I read in a previous preview that we'd get a pop-up option to shoot someone in the knee-cap.

Other than that... I will also say that I will never be able to understand how people can say that this game looks bad (which I've read on other forums) technically. I just can't understand how graphics whore heavy the gaming industry is if someone can honestly that the game looks bad technically. It's sad. Sure, I can understand that it isn't Crysis 2, but seriously... How can anyone say that the graphics are so bad that it's an area where someone would pan it or let it be a deciding factor in whether one should purchase it or not? I just can't wrap my head around that.

That said, I do wish the heads were a bit more alive. I think they definetely look to have plenty of personality which is good, but they feel a bit stiff. Perhaps something to do with the Unreal engine as I felt the same about Mass Effect. And, like I said before, I hope the framerate is smoother in the final build (or that we get very customizable graphics on the PC).

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Pistol firing animation is still a bit jerky.

The textures in some scenes (the middle east ones especially) are amazing, while they are pretty bad in others. I'm pretty sure polish from now until release can fix this.

SMG's always dual-wielded is annoying, but not as bad as I had thought. I still hope there is more than one weapon ability per tree.

Dialog system and voice acting looks to be top-notch. Thorton's voice is spot on for his character's appearance. The "What the hell is going on, why'd you drug me" line is an example of great voice acting. (Unfortunately, it still doesn't even come close to Eternal Darkness, but then again, nothing ever will).

Do want.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

I know the game is still being worked on... but why did all of the rifles not have magazines in them? And I like the hand-to-hand combat, but already I saw the same thing repeated too much for comfort. I can understand the attacks being on the repetitive side, but I only saw one takedown animation used at least 3 times. >_<

Just saw the special footage of AP on GTTV. I gotta say AP looks pretty good. However, I did seem to notice one little issue that has the potential to be a deal breaker for me. Around 6:49-6:52 I noticed that while our hero was using CQC on a bad guy, the bad guy was still firing his gun. Anyone else see the potential for issues with this? Even if the motion capture studio is closed and they don't want to shell out the cash for that little extra feature that really gives players that spy action feeling (Bower, Bourne, and Bond have all used disarms BTW) can't they at least make it so that the bad guys don't fire their guns while you punch em? It is bad enough that CQC will be all but useless when encountering multiple enemies (as far as I have seen) but at the very least make it so that the guy you are beating on can't fire his freakin gun! FYI I am a huge proponent of giving players a disarm ability/feature in any action game involving CQC. I mean its only an extra 10 or so motion capture animations (depending on how you want to do it). All you have to do is make your takedown button or the held "attack" button default to a disarm if you do it on an armed enemy. Anyway, thats just my two cents.

"Some people are always trying to iceskate uphill."

Blade(Wesley Snipes) from the movie Blade.

Edited for content

"The first human who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization." - Sigmund Freud