Phew! Asteroid's passing was a cosmic near-miss

Gfted1

Mar 4, 7:35 AM (ET)

PASADENA, Calif. (AP) - An asteroid about the size of one that blasted Siberia a century ago just buzzed by Earth.

NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory reported that the asteroid zoomed past Monday morning.

The asteroid named 2009 DD45 was about 48,800 miles from Earth. That is just twice the height of some telecommunications satellites and about a fifth of the distance to the Moon.

The space ball measured between 69 feet and 154 feet in diameter. The Planetary Society said that made it the same size as an asteroid that exploded over Siberia in 1908 and leveled more than 800 square miles of forest.

Most people probably didn't notice the cosmic close call. The asteroid was only spotted two days ago and at its closest point passed over the Pacific Ocean near Tahiti.

Thats the problem with the smaller ones, dont see them until its basically too late. Imagine 800 square miles of destruction happening over a large city.

I would be more worried about a near miss than a near hit.

If the asteroid nearly missed it means it almost missed up but not quite. A "near miss" is actually a hit. I think the late great George Carlin brought this up in one of his routines.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

I would be more worried about a near miss than a near hit.

If the asteroid nearly missed it means it almost missed up but not quite. A "near miss" is actually a hit. I think the late great George Carlin brought this up in one of his routines.

*two planes collide*

oh look, they nearly missed :huh:

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

there's a bigger one coming that should scrape our atmosphere this go around, and astronomers will be able to use that data to figure out if it's gonna hit in another few years.

and by scrape I mean knock satellites out of orbit.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I nominate Nakskov.

:lol:

I don't know why, but being hit by big rocks reminds me of Life of Brian for some reason...

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I nominate Nakskov.

:lol:

I don't know why, but being hit by big rocks reminds me of Life of Brian for some reason...

i only said Jehovah...

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

there's a bigger one coming that should scrape our atmosphere this go around, and astronomers will be able to use that data to figure out if it's gonna hit in another few years.

and by scrape I mean knock satellites out of orbit.

Links to this particular event?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

So we should have our zombie bunker/fallout shelter complete by then? Links pelase.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.