NPCs playing fair

Purkake

Something's been bothering me lately. Back in the day I remember having hilarious battles in Fallout, where one NPC hits another and they start fighting each other instead of me. I spent hours engineering an all-out war between the different factions in Fallout 2's Den just to loot the survivors for awesome gear. Also, it was hilarious when the NPCs got a critical failure and their weapon dropped/exploded/shot them in the foot.

You can get people to fight each other in Oblivion(yeah), but I can't think of any other games where enemies suffer from random failure and attack each other by chance. What happened to this? Can anyone think of any other games where this happens?

Deus Ex!

Hilarity ensued.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Guest PoziomyPion

It also happens in Turok.

Funny how it's being impemented in FPS games but not in NEXTGENFULLHD RPGs.

Yup.

However it did surface in the BG's. I remember the end of BG1: Assassin casted a cloudkill in BG's Red Light District, about 20 girls died ;).

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

It also happens in Turok.

Funny how it's being impemented in FPS games but not in NEXTGENFULLHD RPGs.

Can the enemies even hurt each other in CoD4 or FEAR2? Maybe the developers are so focused to the "cinematic experience" that everything is heavily scripted and you can't just have enemies shooting each other by accident lest it break the "immersion".

I think that just this one thing made games more realistic than Bloom, HD and motion blur combined. Seeing enemies shoot each other in the back and having their guns jam and explode gives games that little believable randomness. Sure, it might break the dramatic tension when someone's gun explodes in their face at a crucial moment, but you know that it could just as well happened to you, plus it's funny as hell.

Edited by Purkake

Something's been bothering me lately. Back in the day I remember having hilarious battles in Fallout, where one NPC hits another and they start fighting each other instead of me. I spent hours engineering an all-out war between the different factions in Fallout 2's Den just to loot the survivors for awesome gear. Also, it was hilarious when the NPCs got a critical failure and their weapon dropped/exploded/shot them in the foot.

You can get people to fight each other in Oblivion(yeah), but I can't think of any other games where enemies suffer from random failure and attack each other by chance. What happened to this? Can anyone think of any other games where this happens?

Stop making me want to play Fallout again. I've got enough things going on that I really don't have the time for it.

Just stop. :(

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Stop making me want to play Fallout again. I've got enough things going on that I really don't have the time for it.

Just stop. :)

Busy with JA2 and XCOM? :(

I remember one of the climactic battles of XCOM: Enemy Unknown where my victory was largely due to the Stormtrooper-like marksmanship skillz of the aliens, who kept shooting each other.

Doom is another classic. Open door, room full of zombies and demons, fire gun, run away. Go back to room and enjoy the carnage as they all frag each other in their hurry to get you.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

That was funny about Fallout. Start a fight with that loan shark at the Den and then go hide behind a cop. As soon as one of his men shot the cop, they would be all over the loan shark and his guys.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I remember one of the climactic battles of XCOM: Enemy Unknown where my victory was largely due to the Stormtrooper-like marksmanship skillz of the aliens, who kept shooting each other.

Doom is another classic. Open door, room full of zombies and demons, fire gun, run away. Go back to room and enjoy the carnage as they all frag each other in their hurry to get you.

Cheers

MC

In XCOM half of the terror missions began with random explosions which I later found out to be Cyber Disks blowing each other up. Suicide bombers? I guess that's a legitimate terrorizing tactic...

Happened once or twice in Fallout 3 for me. Nobody likes super mutants.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"