Can't run XP... WTF?

Oerwinde

So my father in law bought a laptop a while back with Vista installed. He hates it, but the guy he bought it from told him that the computer can't run XP. My question is: Is this guy feeding the inlaw a load of bull as I told him, or is there any way a computer can run vista but not XP.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

It's a load of crap. Or course, I would recommend tweaking Vista and making sure all the malware the laptop might have shipped with is gone before installing the new OS... Or you might try Ubuntu...

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

It IS actually possible that it cant run XP as there might not be any XP drivers available for the hardware. But usually its just that MS doesnt allow computers to be shipped with any windows but Vista anymore, nor will they sell loose copies of WinXP.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

It IS actually possible that it cant run XP as there might not be any XP drivers available for the hardware.

Ah... True... I didn't think about that... :sorcerer:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

It IS actually possible that it cant run XP as there might not be any XP drivers available for the hardware. But usually its just that MS doesnt allow computers to be shipped with any windows but Vista anymore, nor will they sell loose copies of WinXP.

Are you saying there's been hardware made exclusively for Vista that doesn't work with XP..?

Feel free to point me to an example because I've never heard of anything like that.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Was the guy your father bought it from a salesman, anyway that's baloney most hardware has backwards compatibility all the way back to windows 98, earlier not guaranteed to work, but probably would, some some require XP. Nothing in existence that must have Vista, that would be suicidal for a motherboard manufacturer.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Are you saying there's been hardware made exclusively for Vista that doesn't work with XP..?

Feel free to point me to an example because I've never heard of anything like that.

No, Im saying that theres hardware that doesnt have drivers for WinXP. Ive done alot of XP installs on Vista OEM laptops, and once in a while there are no XP drivers to be found. The big hardware companies like intel, nvidia, ati etc. always have XP drivers but the smaller stuff like touchstrips doesnt. Everyone at my uni has a laptop and I often help out to install a clean win on them(because theyre delivered with preinstalled bloatware) and we couldnt find drivers for some of the hardware on the new models.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Ugh, if I had a penny for every time a sales guy had lied to me about a computer's capabilities...

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Newer All-in-one units by dell have device related problems with XP

dx10 stuff doesn't work with XP, but that's really software and not hardware and the hardware still works anyway. none that i know of, either.

taks

comrade taks... just because.