"Original" 2004 Build Of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Released

Hum, what is exactly so great about this build that it warranted a release "for the fans"?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

If you're interested in game development, its fun to see how the game evolved. But still, this must be after they removed driveable vehicles and helicopters?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Oh, this thing has just about everyone of the removed levels in it, swamp, deadcity, etc. Pretty cool.

Hopefully this also means someone can plunder the level architecture and implement them into the 1.0005 version.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Is it worth playing as a game? Or is it just a curiosity?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Posting links to pirate and torrent sites is forbidden.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I just wanted to put in my obligatory Gametap advertisement in by saying STALKER is available on that service as well. And it sounds like this is an early version, which would be cool to check out, but if you want the finished stable game, try Gametap.

It is a legal, free release from a developer. The original mirror is on their website and I fail to see why a release of a free product, well it's sort of a mod, though a torrent -so it has faster speeds- would be encouraging piracy. I think this actually highlights one of the major issues with torrent sites is that they, in fact, have legitimate uses as well as less-than-legal ones. ;)

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

...if you want the finished stable game, try Gametap.

Or buy it off Steam, SoC has no extra DRM, or get a boxed version. It's only about $10 in most shops IIRC.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

It is a legal, free release from a developer. The original mirror is on their website and I fail to see why a release of a free product, well it's sort of a mod, though a torrent -so it has faster speeds- would be encouraging piracy. I think this actually highlights one of the major issues with torrent sites is that they, in fact, have legitimate uses as well as less-than-legal ones. ;)

Posting a link to one of the biggest websites promoting piracy is suspect judgment to do on a software developer's website. He'd have been better served posting the torrent directly rather than linking to that site.

Legitimate uses indeed. Buying something from a known fence, even if that particular item happens to not be stolen, still supports that fence. But I guess people will make whatever rationalizations they need so they can sleep at night.

Sure the release is free and you can find a legitimate torrent for it. If that's the case, post a link to a torrent site that only posts torrents of freely available software.

Even if people clicking on that link only downloaded that torrent, they still generated ad revenue for a site who's primary purpose is to share torrents of pirated software.

Edited by alanschu

Posting a link to one of the biggest websites promoting piracy is suspect judgment to do on a software developer's website. He'd have been better served posting the torrent directly rather than linking to that site.

Legitimate uses indeed. Buying something from a known fence, even if that particular item happens to not be stolen, still supports that fence. But I guess people will make whatever rationalizations they need so they can sleep at night.

Sure the release is free and you can find a legitimate torrent for it. If that's the case, post a link to a torrent site that only posts torrents of freely available software.

Even if people clicking on that link only downloaded that torrent, they still generated ad revenue for a site who's primary purpose is to share torrents of pirated software.

Well, that's easy. Just upload it to a torrent-tracker that doesn't host copyrighted material.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Sheesh.

Resident moral patrol away!

I'd understand mkreku's intention when he posted the link was to legitimize the site (and/)or legitimize getting ad revenue for it somehow, but this kind of feedback is unnecessary guys.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

The link was taken from the thread on GSC's board. You know, the other game developer's board..?

The torrent technology is not illegal. The file I linked to was released by the rightful owner as a fan service, so it is not illegal. I did not link to any copyrighted material, so that was not illegal. There was nothing "pirate" about anything I posted.

Please explain to me again why my post was removed.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Here's a torrent of the build. I didn't upload it but I'll most likely not do that now that there are others available. :)

EDIT: If the file is not allowed, please delete it. I am not trying to flaunt the rules by posting this. ;)

Edited by Deadly_Nightshade

-Hurlshot

It is worth playing, although you will need to either tweak the game yourself or download fixes to get everything working. ;)

-Hurlshot

It is worth playing, although you will need to either tweak the game yourself or download fixes to get everything working. ;)

Is it different from the released version of SOC? Or just less polished?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Is it different from the released version of SOC? Or just less polished?

It has some, if not all -I'm not sure how much is left in this build-, of the cut content including at-least six-ten new levels. :)

-Hurlshot

The link was taken from the thread on GSC's board. You know, the other game developer's board..?

The torrent technology is not illegal. The file I linked to was released by the rightful owner as a fan service, so it is not illegal. I did not link to any copyrighted material, so that was not illegal. There was nothing "pirate" about anything I posted.

Please explain to me again why my post was removed.

"Posting links to pirate sites ... is forbidden."

I fully support the decision as well. Every person that clicked on that link gave direct financial support to a website that actively and willfully promotes software piracy.

Oh, this thing has just about everyone of the removed levels in it, swamp, deadcity, etc. Pretty cool.

Hopefully this also means someone can plunder the level architecture and implement them into the 1.0005 version.

THat would be so cool if someone made a resoration of this game!!!

Lets just hope its not Team Gizka lol

Id give it another play through, it would be cool if they added vehicles too! :(:)

THat would be so cool if someone made a resoration of this game!!!

The Oblivion Lost team sounds like they are planning to see if they can "rip" data out of this version and port it to the released game.

Id give it another play through, it would be cool if they added vehicles too! :):)

There are already a couple of mods that do that. :(

What's the big difference between the two versions?

This build has a lot more content that was cut in the later versions. Other then that, not much.

-Hurlshot