Nintendo Wii Thread

I haven't seen a Wii thread in a long while, so I figured I'd start a new one.

I just picked up MarioKart last night as well as two steering wheels. This game is a blast, it is basically the same game I played years back on the N64, but with the wiimote setup it is an entirely new fun experience.

I'm really struggling to find games for my family though. I'm not looking that standard games I can get on my PC or 360, I want fun, simple games that are playable by my whole family. My daughter is almost two and if I can find a game for her that is playable by just shaking the remote, I'll be very happy. No button pushing, just shaking it. Some of the Wiisport games work for her, but I'd like more.

I know everyone complains about the state of video game reviewers, but it's really bad for the Wii. I need a reviewer who actually takes into account that maybe I don't want a complex game, I want something super simple. Anyone see any good review sites for that?

Warioware is supposedly a simple gesture-based game, but it'd probably be too hard for your daughter.

You might also look into Boom Blox (Spielberg's game). Apparently makes pretty good use of the Wiimote, and relies a good deal on physics and puzzles.

Keep an eye out for Let's Tap, which hasn't been localized yet. Doesn't use any button or waggle. You just need to tap to a rhythm. That might actually be simple enough. http://www.gametrailers.com/player/40715.html

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Not a real console, doesn't count.

What's this you say? It's a legit console? NO ITS NOT. NAANANANANANA I CAN'T HEAR YOU.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Mariokart is the only reason to have a Wii at all. But since the whakka-whakka-magic-stick(the controller) is bloody useless to steer with, you need to have some proper gamepad. Also, tell your neighbours no to call the cops before you invite your friends over since the typical mariokart game sound something like:

-Hey ****!

-What, ****face?!

-BLUE SHELL.

-Aaaaahrg, what the flying **** hell ****sucker damn it Ill kill you mother****er!!!

classic:

mario-kart.jpg

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Wii Fit will kill your back. Well, if you're Shamus Young.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Isn't TV in general a Bad Thing for kids under 2?

Edit: Not trying to lay the Parental Guilt Trip on you or anything. I just thought I remembered reading that somewhere.

Edited by Enoch

Ron Gilbert made some point and click adventure games for kids after he left LucasArts. A couple of them, Freddi Fish and Pajama Sam, were re-released on the Wii. Of course you could get them off of ebay for your PC for $0.50 or so, but if you want them on the Wii they're available for about $20. Naturally there is some "clicking", but pretty much anything she clicks on the screen will react in some amusing way. They really helped my son learn how to use a mouse, so they should probably do the same for your daughter... for the wiimote... for whatever that's worth.

edit: Oh wait, "almost two". You may be expecting a little too much.

Edited by crakkie

Oh Jimmy, you were so funny.

Don't let me down.

From habit he lifts his watch; it shows him its blank face.

Zero hour, Snowman thinks. Time to go.

Isn't TV in general a Bad Thing for kids under 2?

Yep, it's not great, but we try to keep it in moderation. We are pretty active parents, but it's a 24/7 job, and a little TV time every day helps us stay sane. It's actually pretty incredible how much programming there is for toddlers. If it's so harmful, you'd think they'd have a problem releasing this stuff. Our pediatrician actually told us to get a few videos on potty training to help with that, so who knows?

As for her being pretty young, I'm really thinking more of what she can possibly play in the next year or two. It's not like we are plopping her down alone to try and figure the games out, we are sitting with her, and usually playing. She can help me drive the Mariokart. I don't know why you'd want a controller for it, the steering wheel is fantastic and makes the game a bit more challenging. I guess if I was trying to beat the AI, I would want more precision.

We have the Wiifit and she does do exercises and step aerobics with my wife. That's a pretty fantastic piece of hardware. The balance board is amazing, although it doesn't pick up her weight yet. Still, she can stand beside us and do the stuff.

I love our Wii and MarioKart is a big favorite. Ive unlocked all the courses and am currently working on a few more racers, all for my daughter of course. Ahem. Wii sports always makes for a fun family game night but Im sure you already play that. Not sure about a 2 year old but my 8 year old also loves one called Sing It (iirc) where you sing karoke style and another where you sing and dance but the name escapes me. That ones a ton of fun and even I have been known to get up and bust a few moves. Mario Party is eh but it may be fun for your daughter.