EA Admits 'We Didn't Make Hits' in 2008

TheHarlequin

Last year was a tough time for Electronic Arts, punctuated by a very disappointing holiday quarter in which the company lost $641 million. EA at the time announced an expansion of its staff reduction plan to 11 percent of its workforce and said it would close 12 facilities.

While EA boss John Riccitiello commented earlier this month that, "We delivered on game quality and innovation in calendar 2008," COO John Pleasants has acknowledged that the publisher simply just didn't have the big hits it needed to support its business, according to paidContent.org.

Speaking at the Goldman Sachs Technology and Internet conference, Pleasants stated, "The biggest thing was that we didn't make hits [in 2008]." New properties like Mirror's Edge and Dead Space were assumed to be profitable, but in the end sales just weren't high enough. Clearly, EA is rethinking its strategy. Part of that includes a focus on fewer titles

World of Darkness News

http://www.wodnews.net

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

It doesnt surpise me that they lost money on Mirror's "8-hour fecal waterslide" Edge, the sensible thing would have been to promote Battlefield: Bad Company instead. But not only did they make the horrendous mistake of not releasing a thoroughbred PC game like B:BC on the PC, but they also chose to promote ME, which was all style and no substance.

If you havent played B:BC yet, do it now. Its a top notch shooter with fun and unusual characters. Its every bit as good as CoD4

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Nah, that game actually had reasonably working mechanics, it was just boring as hell.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Geez, I think advertising is one of the first places they should make cuts.

This...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

It doesnt surpise me that they lost money on Mirror's "8-hour fecal waterslide" Edge, the sensible thing would have been to promote Battlefield: Bad Company instead. But not only did they make the horrendous mistake of not releasing a thoroughbred PC game like B:BC on the PC, but they also chose to promote ME, which was all style and no substance.

If you havent played B:BC yet, do it now. Its a top notch shooter with fun and unusual characters. Its every bit as good as CoD4

Must depend on the country you're in, because I was swamped with commercials for B:BC while the only reason I even knew what Mass Effect was because I go to this board and the Bioware haters just wouldn't shut up about it (honestly, those guys give better word of mouth than any of Bioware's fans).

They should also remove the annoying DRM from their games... I don't buy their games because of it and I am sure many people have reacted in a similar way...

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

O RLY? They mad eno hits in 2008? I didn't know Madden 2009 and its millions of sales was considered a bomb? LMAOATWTKKUYADYTATWBA

I'll make sure the COO of EA gets that message, Volo, since it was his quote.

I'd imagine he was referring to the lack of any breakout hits, or games that exceeded expected sales. Madden is a Goliath, but with business it isn't just about consistently selling well, it is about increasing profit every quarter.

The SPorts games are just yearly updates of the previous year and have hardly anything of real value to them. Why bother getting Madden 2009 when Madden 2008 is just as good?

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

They still sell a lot, for some reason.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

"I'll make sure the COO of EA gets that message, Volo, since it was his quote."

I know it was his quote. That's why I was mocking HIM. Did you feel the need to defend his ignorance?

"The SPorts games are just yearly updates of the previous year and have hardly anything of real value to them. Why bother getting Madden 2009 when Madden 2008 is just as good?"

You don't even like sports games so likely haven't played them so you likely don't even know if what you are saying is even true.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

A football game is a football game. All you are is just a little guy with skin of a pig running about on a grassy field trying to score points against an opposing team. Played one and you have played them all.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

A RPG is a RPG.

We are talking sports, not a RPG. There is no story in football.

That's a pretty ridiculous statement.

Most sports games I play go like this:

I create a character. I customize the avatar, I select certain skills, and then I begin playing. At first I have training exercises, or I play against easier teams. Eventually my skills go up and I face more challenging opposition. I try to accomplish certain tasks like winning awards, and if I do well I will win the game eventually.

How is that not an RPG? Is it because I didn't fight a dragon?

EA this year went more eccentric with their lineup which is unusual for them. Instead of milking franchises (that have guaranteed sales) they went and made new games. Mirrors edge was (IMO) a pretty good game, but it suffered because of the fact that it was the first of its kind, and it's shortness. Dead Space was good but I think it was more niche than anything. I think they made up more revenue with Rock Band and Madden but it would hardly be enough to fill in all the gaps.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Just because a game isn't an RPG doesn't mean it has no story.

That doesn't change a fact EA Sports (some could say all EA) games do not have a story... they are just about dead horses and old milk...

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

They do get better and have some pretty neat features, but I can't see why someone would buy one every single year.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"