Ryan Rucinski interview

http://play.tm/interview/23521/alpha-proto...-ryan-rucinski/

Which settings will we take in during the game, and how are these being brought to life?

After the initial foray into Saudi Arabia, the player has the option to go to Moscow, Taipei, or Rome.

A lot of our lighting style comes from the Bourne movies, Traffic, Ronin, Nacho Libre, and Syriana. When you look at the movies you can see a distinct saturation dependant on where the movie is taking place. Our Saudi levels are bloomy and brighter in the yellows. Moscow with blues. Rome using greens. We use the same techniques that these movies use to make sure that each hub looks and feels differently from the others.

Edited by funcroc

As long as it doesn't make my character look like he has malaria.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I must say though I'm eager to visit all these interesting places. Saudi Arabia, Rome, Moscow and Tapai aren't exactly your typical video game locations you get to see a lot. I'm looking forward how authentic and atmospheric Obsidian pulls these places off. One thing however that worries me a bit is this "color scheme" thing (green for Rome, blue for Moscow etc.). I really don't like too many effects on screen (except they can be disabled). As long as it is kept subtle and with artistry in mind though, I won't complain.

I must say though I'm eager to visit all these interesting places. Saudi Arabia, Rome, Moscow and Tapai aren't exactly your typical video game locations you get to see a lot. I'm looking forward how authentic and atmospheric Obsidian pulls these places off. One thing however that worries me a bit is this "color scheme" thing (green for Rome, blue for Moscow etc.). I really don't like too many effects on screen (except they can be disabled). As long as it is kept subtle and with artistry in mind though, I won't complain.

I would imagine it's pretty subtle. You may (or may not) have noticed, for example, that films tend to desaturate the colors and tint the screen blue in European locales. It sounds like what AP is doing is similar to that.

I would imagine it's pretty subtle. You may (or may not) have noticed, for example, that films tend to desaturate the colors and tint the screen blue in European locales. It sounds like what AP is doing is similar to that.

Yes, though I personally think this is a questioanable method to convey a place's mood. Like in every Hollywood movie, medieval Euro places are unnecessary too dirty, too blue-ish (cold and dark) and always rainy. That's so stereotypical. Just like in every Middle-Eastern movie you always see too much desert and bloom.

I just hope Obsidian knows what they want to do with it, not because they're doing it for the sake of capturing Hollywood techniques alone.

Edited by Morgoth

Well, yeah, it's stupid, but it does lend a certain artistic style. Given that Obs is trying to create a cinematic spy experience, I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with imitating cinema for the sake of imitating cinema in that regard. If they *didn't* do it, it wouldn't seem as polished and "hollywood" (and Obs needs all the polish they can get). I also think that they wanted to create that kind of atmosphere, which is why they undertook AP to begin with. So, I both agree and disagree with you.