Humorous computer games

Monte Carlo

One of my favourite games, ever, is Hackmaster. A parody of 1st Edition AD&D, it works because it is clearly a homage to a much-loved original. It manages to tread that difficult line between parody and actually being playable. A Hackmaster session, with the right players and some alcoholic refreshment, really is like spending an evening in your very own Monty Python movie.

On the computer, this seems to me to be a trickier premise. Having said that, DungeonKeeper struck me as not just witty and playable, but a game where the humour wasn't a bolt on. I'm struggling to think of others, maybe because games like Evil Genius (I think that's what it was called, was really looking forward to it but the less said the better) don't cut the mustard.

So, where do we stand on comedy and parody in computer games? Hackmaster would, in my opinion, utterly rock. I'm sure you could tinker with the NWN2 engine and do a Hackmaster mod.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

I generally don't like parody or self-mockery in my computer games. Humor that springs from the gameworld itself is fine. A good laugh is always fun.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Self-mockery is awesome, like in Arrested Development when Henry Winkler steps over a dead shark on the docks and goes like "Oh"

DID YOU SEE WHAT HE DID THERE?!!

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Whether it works depends on what you look for in 'humorous."

I loved Dungeon Keeper as well. But a lot of what I find funny in a game isn't about plot, canned jokes, or whatever. It's more a visual/action amusement thing, for me. For example, in DK I'd dig out winding paths and force the warlocks to walk it in order to get to a library...while making a hatchery very far away...to the point they'd almost starve to death constantly walking back and forth. If you like DK, it was hilarious, trust me. :) Of course, I did appreciate the parody of the Avatar and such, too, but that isn't what made me laugh.

In Overlord I found the minions so amusing as they rode sheep and cried "Yes Master" over and over that I often laughed more than I played.

I also liked, in Sacred1, things like the silly media references on tombstones, or WoW's constant in-joke references, things like that.

In terms of a game that tries to be a "serious comedy" ... I'm not sure that would work so well, since everyone has a different sense of humor. Hard to reach across to a wide audience? I agree that Evil Genius didn't have it. It tried hard, but part of the problem w/that game, imo, is that it's hard to be amused if the actual gameplay isn't fun for very long.

I honestly can't think of many (good) games, whatever the genre, where humor was a vital aspect of the game, tho ...

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

So, none of you played Monkey Islands, Sam and Maxs, Space Quests or any of the other zounds of humorous adventure games?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

So, none of you played Monkey Islands, Sam and Maxs, Space Quests or any of the other zounds of humorous adventure games?

^ Clearly not, then again I have a day job, a family and other stuff going on. You could enlighten me as to how these games worked, rather than sneer at my lack of available idling time.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

Yes, I'm a bit shocked no one mentioned them off the bat.

It does seem like the art of a humorous game is a bit lost today. I'm glad to see the Sam and Max series has found an audience, but it's definitely a niche product, and honestly I wasn't taken in by it as much as the original Sam & Max Hit the road.

So I'd say the biggest detriment to humorous games is the fact that adventure games are dead, and they seemed to be the best genre for comedy. Every once in awhile we get a game like Psychonauts that brings comedy to another genre, but the fact that it didn't sell well obviously hurts the cause.

My big issue is the fact that sooooo many games are focused completely on violence. It's completely crowded the market, leaving very little room for other types of games. I think it has really driven away the creative developers we had in the past, the ones that created unique stables of IP's at Sierra and Lucasarts. I was just thinking about all the great characters from those days. Sierra has completely abandoned all the lovable characters it created in the 80's. Imagine if Disney just decided to ditch Mickey Mouse and go in a more adult direction, and you have the Sierra equivalent.

I've heard of Monkey Islands, but the games never appealed to me so I didn't try them. Haven't heard of the others. Older style adventure games was one genre I never got into. I'm not all that into plot/stories in games (I read books/watch movies instead), and they generally don't have any meticulous "tinker" value for me to obsess over.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

To ask wether comedy belongs in computer games is like asking if poop is brown.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

fo was pure camp. super mutants and giant insects and all the other b-movie crap were tossed in to create a cartoony kinda post-apocalyptic world. alternatively, fo were deadly serious... which made it all the more funny. the Most humor came from fo fans who typical seems to forget the camp quality o' fo and gets all earnest when game is discussed.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

^ Clearly not, then again I have a day job, a family and other stuff going on. You could enlighten me as to how these games worked, rather than sneer at my lack of available idling time.

Cheers

MC

Ah, you're at your forties then, since the height of Sierra and Lucasarts adventure games was in the early 90's and the only way you could not have had enough idling time back then would be that you hold true seniority in the internets. Getting cranky to anyone over how worthless your pastime has been is strictly of your own making.

I wasn't sneering at anyone. Now I am though.

Anyway, it's your chance to remedy your past misgivings! It's still possible to find the odd Sierra collection from a bargain bin, along with King's Quest and Space Quest anthologies. Being the forefathers of the adventure game genre, still in its death throes, they are browser or dialog box-based adventure games where gameplay relies on exploration and puzzle-solving using your wits, the infamous Way of Thinking Outside the Box and usually a bursting inventory, meanwhile conversing with the various critters and createrues of the worlds. Often, but not always, character death wasn't really an issue and the gameplay was entirely resourceless, meaning there wasn't health gameplay or interaction with threats other than those presented by puzzles, such as surviving a cliffhanger or being tortured, etc.

It's very much a genre worth visiting, even if you detest idling time.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

I really liked Maniac Mansion and Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders back in the day even though I never could beat them.

And I really enjoyed the jokes in Grim Fandango which I also never beat.

I'm sensing a trend here... :|

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Yeah, I have yet to beat Sam n' Max either, but man were they fun back in the day.

kirottu said:

Ah, you're at your forties then, since the height of Sierra and Lucasarts adventure games was in the early 90's and the only way you could not have had enough idling time back then would be that you hold true seniority in the internets.

I'm an internet senior! :)

I personally had plenty of idle time but I didn't get really into pc games until late 90's, so there's a lot of games I've heard of but never bought.

And a combat system based on insults does sound pretty funny.

Good old days of LA Adventure games (and no, I never beated a single one without a walkthrough either, unlike most recent adventures).

"Your mother wears a toupe!"

"Coming face to face with me must leave you petrified"

"Look behind you! A three-headed monkey!" :shifty:

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee