DRAGON!

Volourn

This is going to be a great LotR game!

Wait...

On a serious note I have to admit the video looked good, but all I could think of was LotR with the art direction. It is on my radar so we'll see.

Edited by Rhomal

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

I don't think I've ever "meh'd" so much. Fire effects were pathetic too.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Dragon Age looks just liek Lotr! MOGz0rrz!!!

It's friggin fantasy, you twits. Its SUPPOSED to be a Lotr ripoff.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

yeah, kinda unavoidable since LotR came first... any and all fantasy that has come since and will come in the future will likely be compared at least in some fashion to it.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Dragon Age looks just liek Lotr! MOGz0rrz!!!

It's friggin fantasy, you twits. Its SUPPOSED to be a Lotr ripoff.

The problem is that before EA acquired them, they kept talking about how "dark" and "mature" it is and how it's different from classic fantasy. Now they make it look like LotR. I'm sure it's just to get more sales, but that doesn't really boost my confidence in the game.

yeah, kinda unavoidable since LotR came first... any and all fantasy that has come since and will come in the future will likely be compared at least in some fashion to it.

taks

It's not just that it looks like LotR, it also looks as generic as you can get with fantasy. It's got dudes in huge armor, bearded dwarfs, evil ork-things, huge armies clashing. Also there's the "dark stuff is coming" voice over while the camera pans huge generic castles/cities.

There are so many places you can go with fantasy that aren't just let's do it like LotR.

That is all based on the trailer and the presentation, I'm sure the game will be at least interesting.

Edited by Purkake

Maybe it's always looked like LOTR. After all, they're still banging on about dark.

It's a disappointment but it's a secondary concern.

LMAO Everyone was ecstatic that DA is 'inspired' by BG which was 'generic fantasy' (which is balony nonsense that has no logical basis) which is largely based on LOTR. So, the fact it comes across as similar to LOTR shouldn't be shocking since that is what BG fanboys wanted. Right? RIGHT!?! *RIGHT*!?!

Anyways, DA will be better than LOTR which is good but vastly overrated. I just hope DA dwarves aren't as PATHETIC as LOTR dwarves - espicially the disgusting movie versions.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Ironically, BG's art style, while being high fantasy, had an identity; DA's doesn't. There's nothing wrong with looking like LOTR on its own.

Ironically, BG's art style, while being high fantasy, had an identity; DA's doesn't. There's nothing wrong with looking like LOTR on its own.

That might be it. I want the trailer to show me how DA is unique/interesting or different from other fantasy rpgs, but it keeps trying to be more "don't worry DA is just like other fantasy rpgs". The big companies are too scared to try anything quirky these days.

I'm sure someone will get a kick out of the story, but I really don't think I can play this without rolling my eyes every five minutes.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

"Ironically, BG's art style, while being high fantasy, had an identity; DA's doesn't. There's nothing wrong with looking like LOTR on its own."

DA is better than Bg. No doubt about it. Graphics, music, role-playing, characters, combat, chaarcter system, identity, atmosphere, maturity, everything.

Could you at least wait until you've played the game, Volo?

There's a slight chance it might be total crap. :sorcerer:

"Could you at least wait until you've played the game, Volo?"

Sure. I could do that; but then I wouldn't be doing what the negative ninnies are doing as they pre judge it. *shrug* Turnabout is fair play.

"That might still make it better than BG."

Very evil. I likie. o:)

Edited by Volourn

Clearly any fantasy game that resembles LOTR must be generic crap and suck, because we all know RPG's are about how the environments look.

If you do not think a core part of any aspect of entertainment (movies, graphic novels, comics, PC games, etc) is art direction and it plays a huge role in how it is perceived and accepted (or not) then you are in the minority.

Think the movie Sin City minus the art direction draped in standard film presentation, or the movies LotR, 300 the tv show x-files or move to the topic the PC game myst. Rip out all their art direction and replace with bland fare and what do you have? You may still have a decent product but I promise you would have received far less acclaim then they did. Art direction and music play a HUGE role in most aspects of media entertainment but they are not always 'seen' on the surface but play critical rolls in the end product.

With that said I do not think the art direction is bad for da I simply think it uninspired and gave me a feeling of been-there-seen-that. As if the art director raped the sketch books of those artists that worked on the lotr films. Rather then use his own take or direction for example.

And on a side note I do agree the fire animations did stick out like a sore thumb against the other high quality art/animations, it was poorly done.

Edited by Rhomal

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

The art direction really doesn't bother me too much. Just as long as it meshes well with the overall gameplay and atmosphere I'll be fine.

I've enjoyed all of Bioware's games so far, some more than others, but they've all been great games. Really looking forward to sinking my teeth into this one.