Drakensang: The Dark Eye

~Di

This looks like a fun old-school Baldur's Gate type romp. I'm not expecting epic here, but it does appear to be a fun diversion. Thing is, I can't find any reviews of the English version, and the YouTubes for the English version I've seen have no sound... which makes me wonder if there's any English voice-over or if it's simply subtitled. But there was no music either.

Just curious if anyone here has played the English demo, and if there were indeed English voice-overs and background music.

I think this thread sums up the collective knowledge of Drakensang so far. I seem to remember somebody looking at the demo on the third page :sorcerer:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Thank you. I was aware of that thread... I posted in it... but since my question was limited to the sound quality of voice overs and music in the demo, I though starting a separate thread to ask about it might be easier for those who could answer to reply.

Ah, can't help you there, sorry.

Not for lack of interest, but I haven't had the time to check out the demo yet. Work, life and all that :sorcerer:

I think I am going to reserve the easter holidays for gaming :sorcerer:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

There are english voice actors and I didn't find them particularly good, but others might have other opinions.

I honestly can't even remember the music so it can't have made much of an impression. :sorcerer:

You should try the demo as the visuals, the audio and the controls are stuff that it shows quite well. If only it let me try the combat and the skill system properly.

sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

This looks like a fun old-school Baldur's Gate type romp. I'm not expecting epic here, but it does appear to be a fun diversion. Thing is, I can't find any reviews of the English version, and the YouTubes for the English version I've seen have no sound... which makes me wonder if there's any English voice-over or if it's simply subtitled. But there was no music either.

Just curious if anyone here has played the English demo, and if there were indeed English voice-overs and background music.

There was English voice-overs, but from the Demo it was limited to the opening of the conversation with the remainder being text. I don't know if this is how the final game is going to be, though, or if it was done to keep the demo small (ha!) because the actors seem to be emoting the remaining text even though there was no vocal accompaniment.

I don't remember music but there was some ambient sound in one sequence. I seem to remember music being there, but I'll be honest and say I just plain don't remember at this point.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

For our resident jerries, are german voiceovers in german games usually as bad as the english ones? Or do you tend to spend more money on the domestic versions?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Thanks for the replies. I'd be interested in the game just as a fun diversion, but not if it's 99% text with only a scattering of voiced dialogue (which would explain why it's selling for the startlingly inexpensive amount of $29.99). I'll just skip it until I have more info.

For our resident jerries, are german voiceovers in german games usually as bad as the english ones? Or do you tend to spend more money on the domestic versions?

We've resident Germans around here? Didn't know that.

But I can answer your question nonetheless. It fully depends on the publisher. German publishers like dtp actually hire a lot pros, and all their games have convincing, if not superb voice acting. The German branches from EA, Activision and THQ ususally make some good efforts there too, if it is a AAA title. Warhammer 40K games used to be in German as excellent as their English counterparts. Microsoft is inconstant, from great (Jade Empire, actually better than the original to "could be better" for ME to downright miserable like HALO 3). ATARI games in German have always been utmost horrible (Fahrenheit).

Can't say who did the translation for the English Drakensang though. Either it was outsourced, or dtp just couldn't find/afford the right talent. But then again who would give a crap about a DSA game outside Germany anyways? The only good things from there come from Crytek and Piranha Bytes.

Im playing this game just so I can complain endlessly and drive people like mkreku insane with righteous rage. Ive actually met some of the people who made this game at a convention, and they were very much like the game itself. boring and german.

The only moment of fun Ive had thus far was an NPC called "Runkus Bagthumper", to us swedes that would be like being named "Wankus", and its surprisingly close to a famous mongoloid from an Onkel K

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

And as usual you're playing a game that isn't even released yet in Sweden. How is that possible, I wonder. It torrents, I mean torments my mind.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

And as usual you're playing a game that isn't even released yet in Sweden. How is that possible, I wonder. It torrents, I mean torments my mind.

Why, I have no idea what you're inseminating there? I did as I always do, I took the ferry down to L

That review made the game sound pretty decent. I hate going on reviews though.

Di, did you end up getting this?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I'm still considering it. Husby is going in for major eye surgery in a couple of weeks, so I won't be doing much game playing until after he's recovered. If I do get it, I'll post my impressions here after I've played for a bit.

That review made the game sound pretty decent.

Do explain this, I haven't read the review fully, but it seemed to list all the really horrible flaws that I found when playing the demo.

IT sounded like a reasonably complex and fun crpg?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I'm still considering it. Husby is going in for major eye surgery in a couple of weeks, so I won't be doing much game playing until after he's recovered. If I do get it, I'll post my impressions here after I've played for a bit.

Thanks, Di.

I hope things go well for you and husband.

If Im to lay aside my bias for a moment

+technicly solid- good FPS, no crashes

+surpisingly good animations- lightyears better than NWN

+cosy graphical atmosphere

+good combat for a realtime CRPG

-excessively generic

-infinitely predictable story

-only sporadic english voice over (characters animate like they talk but its all text)

-writing feels strained at times

-very little actual roleplaying: you rarely have more than one dialogue choice

-excessively generic

-infinitely predictable story

-only sporadic english voice over (characters animate like they talk but its all text)

-writing feels strained at times

-very little actual roleplaying: you rarely have more than one dialogue choice

This stuff doesn't bother me. I'm immune. I played Oblivion. Nothing will ever be that generic, empty and poorly written again.

The only thing the review seemed to comlain about was the boring faux-rt combat and the generic nature of the gameworld.

Those things don't bother me.

Mmmm, uninteresting story and gameplay... UI not user-friendly... bad camera... I don't like it...

The graphics are gorgeous though...

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p